Manual gearshift transmission cars are on the way out...

Having to drive to different job sites during the week, currently between 70 and 120 km one-way daily, I’ve long come to appreciate the smooth ride of an automatic gear shift. In particular if you’re stuck in a traffic jam. ACC with stop-and-go functionality is bliss. After extend work days I just want a relaxed commute.

Manual is an anachronism today. The steering characteristics, cornering behaviour, road contact / suspension feedback and torque development of a car is providing me more, and more valuable “connectedness” than the question whether being auto or manual drive. That said, ‘auto’ isn’t always equal ‘auto’, and there are still some crappy parameter curves out there to be had, irrespective of whether dual clutch or torque converter.

• Like 1

The MT is for a fun car only. I’d never have one for a daily driver.

• Like 2

I still love m.t.  I feel more sporty and in control of the vehicle. It also serves as an automatic theft deterrent in many locales, since many people no longer know how to drive stick.

However, I confess that driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic (especially in Southern California) with m.t sucks badly.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, joeypots said:

The MT is for a fun car only. 

Fun they are when configured right. 

Di and I love the N130 because we can throw it around with aplomb and it was as cheap as chips. Designed by Albert Biermann, the famous BMW M division car designer

image.png

It's been 5 years now and still puts a smile on the dial. However the new electric IONIQ N130 is calling me. I am not sure we need a car that can do 0-60MPH in 3.6 seconds. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Fun they are when configured right. 

Di and I love the N130 because we can throw it around with aplomb and it was as cheap as chips. Designed by Albert Biermann, the famous BMW M division car designer

image.png

It's been 5 years now and still puts a smile on the dial. However the new electric IONIQ N130 is calling me. I am not sure we need a car that can do 0-60MPH in 3.6 seconds. 

Love a manual transmission Hot Hatchback, and yours is perfect. Don't take the bait on the Electric IONIQ! What you have is already the pinnacle of fun driving!

I for one still lament the loss of my first car, a 2000 Hyundai Tiburon (5-speed manual). I did it all with that car - i bought it at 96KM and put another 225KM on it, drove 8 Canadian provinces and 44 American States....not to mention I could do nearly all of my own maintenance too - brakes, tie rods, wheel bearings, oil changes, clutch replacements, you name it. the fact that it was stick-shift was the cherry on top - you could feel your car properly, it felt like an extension of you when you were driving it. Nothing like single-lane highway driving, downshifting to pass people as you cruise along. I miss it.

Now, i drive an SUV that I despise, and it's all computerized and opaque. Can't do any of my own maintenance. Worst car ever. Probably contributes to my depression.

I just pray that I can get that exchange post back to the UK for next year, and pick up a proper stick-shift car again - but something in my price range, like a Smart Roadster or a classic Ford Ka :rotfl:

20 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I am not sure we need a car that can do 0-60MPH in 3.6 seconds. 

Need? What’s need got to do with it? 

• Like 1