Which cigar did it take you longest.... "to get"?

You know the one.

Mates have talked it up. MRN gives it his impromata.....cigar aficionado refers to it as if the second coming.

First one you were confused.

Second one you disliked...at best.

Third one you couldn''t understand the fuss

Fourth one a little light got turned on...nubbed it

5th one and it was a dream

Name your cigar that roughly fits the above scenario ;)

• El Presidente changed the title to Which cigar did it take you longest.... "to get"?

Mine is the PLPC.

The PC/MC are universally loved, but when you're starting out you don't typically have access to aged stock (when PL starts to get all caramely). They can be rambunctious & brawny young, so it can take awhile to see the appeal.

I've since put away a handful of cabs to rotate smoking from as they age. I like their power quite a bit, and of course the cab format is appealing.

• Like 2

Siglo IV. The first few I smoked were nothing special. Then the light dawned over Marble Head, as we sometimes say in Massachusetts. Too bad they are now more valuable than gold.

• Like 1

Mag 50 - so many mediocre to bad examples of this one for me over the years...then last Easter I decided to smoke one from a 2017 box...it was gnarly looking and pretty banged up...I had no hope for it...and it was one of the best cigars I have ever smoked...recent examples while not quite up to that standard have really hit home with me as well...so maybe the light "just went on" somehow? 

• Like 3

Monte no 2 and ryj Churchill 

monte couldn’t get it for years and after I read how inconsistent it could be I gave it several other chances and now I like it 

ryj Churchill was amongst my fav cigars when started  to smoke then I stopped for years and when I came back to smoking I hated ryj ( I guess quality in the early 2010s were not great ?)

took me years to try again and now I love it 

HdM Epi no 2.  I don't know if the first few I smoked were just bad sticks, or if I didn't let em rest long enough, but the first few HdM E2's I smoked reminded me of pencil shavings for some reason.  Tasted like what I imagine pencil shavings would taste like.  I did not get the hype at all.  I've since had many more where I didn't get that and can now understand why they're liked.  

Rafael Gonzalez perlas... grabbed box on whim precovid to add regular rotation on party shorts, rascc, etc.. tucked away for for 2 years. Finally had one on Monday... down to just half box 😪

• Like 1

Hdm Epi 2 and Epi Especial. Still don't get them...😳

• Like 2

Ramon Allones Phoenican Regional Anniversaria, and that was kindly sent to me by LaFicion  some years ago. Is he still with us, by the way? Haven't seen anything of him lately :thinking:

For me it's the D4, only because every time I buy a box, it's different to the last. I've had so many different D4's profiles now I'm confused as to what a D4 'should' be.
On top of that it is also a cigar I have more bad luck with in terms of quality than most - It really is my 'nemesis' cigar.

I don't get it. 

• Like 2

Now they have 10 years on them Cohiba Piramides . I bought a few boxes from FOH I do remember picking up a box for around $400. 10 years ago I thought they were just so bland. I had one last night sweet as a kiss  

Monte 2 and RASS for me. When I first got into CCs I wanted to love these, but I was greatly disappointed with them. Now I love them and both are currently amongst my top three favorite cigars. 

On 9/1/2022 at 7:25 AM, MC4 said:

PSD4 for me.  Never understood the popularity till a couple years ago.  

Now, one of my go to cigars.

Yup. That's the one for me. Then I got D5's, loved them, then went as big as I could on Lusi's and adore them. Took awhile, maybe the initial tubo pack were just duds, but I'm glad i didn't give up. 

In general, in the early days I failed to fully appreciate mild to medium bodied smokes. These days I love a subtle smoke. Also a common newby error used to be smoking cigars too young but less so nowadays. However if cigars are in a sick period, do not persist - leave them alone for a while - another mistake i used to make.

• Like 1