Which cigar did it take you longest.... "to get"?

The Choix Supreme. The first four I had (across different boxes and years) were tasteless, uninteresting and bland. I even tried to shift a box I had to friends.

Then the cigars blossomed and it was a mix of citrus, cake, bread, cream etc. and it's probably in my Top 5 (although that Top 5 changes weekly frankly). I'm in love with this stick now and seek out ERDM above everything else...

• Like 1

H. Upmann MAG 54. Probably my least favorite experience from any Cuban. My greatest learning experience with Cubans, that I really didn’t appreciate at, is aging them a minimum of 3 years. What a difference time makes, 2 years most are ok, but great at 3. 

On 9/4/2022 at 9:16 AM, Silverstix said:

Punch Punch. Still don’t get it. What do you guys get from a good Punch Punch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. I've always avoided Punch cigars until I had the DC which turned out to be one of my favorites and possibly the best DC imo. 

I'll give the Punch Punch another try this week to see why everyone is raving about them. That will be my 4th and possibly last try.

Some cigars i absolutely didn't like in the beginning are the Mag 54 / HDM Rio Seco and now I can't get enough of them...

On 9/1/2022 at 1:05 AM, El Presidente said:

You know the one.

Mates have talked it up. MRN gives it his impromata.....cigar aficionado refers to it as if the second coming.

First one you were confused.

Second one you disliked...at best.

Third one you couldn''t understand the fuss

Fourth one a little light got turned on...nubbed it

5th one and it was a dream

Name your cigar that roughly fits the above scenario ;)

After my 50th RASS, I'm still at stage 2.

Hoping to get to the point where I can't understand the fuss, one day.

• Like 2

Most cigars I've tried, I either get it immediately or never.  I haven't been turned completely around from "I don't get it" to "I get it" on any cigars.  The best I've gotten in this topic is "I got one", like the D4 from the blind tasting sample.

Most of the ones I don't get are the ones that are too sickly sweet and remind me of fruit cake; RASS, D4, and Lusi being chief among them.  I don't hate them but I but I haven't really enjoyed an entire cigar of these yet.  Those have all been put in the long storage bin, hoping they morph into something better for me.

I've tried maybe 3 or 4 each of the Coloniales and Reyes so far and each has ranged from bad to just plain average. 

Probably just bad luck, but given the price of Trinidad nowadays, I'm not so sure I'll be giving either of them another chance to change my mind.

8 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

After my 50th RASS, I'm still at stage 2.

Hoping to get to the point where I can't understand the fuss, one day.

I've given up. The flavor just doesn't do it for me. I'm not a fan of "raisin bread" anyway. Whenever I see Ramon Allones EL I'm glad because I know I can just skip it.

• Like 1