Daniel Marshall Humidor vs. Tupperdor

So I have a few tupperdors going with their respective RH pretty much in control, pending shifts in weather.  Never owned a humidor.  A friend has a Daniel Marshall humidor that he swears by.  He says you can see the difference when smoking a cigar that has been in a good humidor vs. plastic tupperdor.  Any truth to that or anyone want to chime in?  Obviously, taking a cigar out from a nice humidor vs. a tupperdor, must have a nicer feeling to it, but do the cigars feel the difference?

100% bs.  Agree with what @HarveyBoulevard said.  Personally I prefer a tupperdor anyway for it's rock solid RH holding abilities.  I don't have people coming over very often to view my collection so really no need for me to spend on something like that.  Believe me I've thought about getting a nice temp controlled cabinet....but every time I'm about to do it I realize there is no need 

• Like 4

Q: There are some people who don’t think a humidor at any price is worth the investment. What do you say to someone who insists that a Tupperware full of Humidipaks is as good as anything?
A: I would love them to take this challenge. Blind taste a fine cigar that has been in a plastic container for two months and blind test a fine cigar that has been in a Daniel Marshall humidor for two months. This way they can taste the difference. 

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/a-q-a-with-humidor-maker-daniel-marshall

If you are storing cigars in their original box and then it doesn't matter.  A desktop humidor, most likely the cigars are not in their original box.  One negative on the desktop humidor is the humidity and temp swings happen much quicker than in a large plastic tote.

Humidor has better looks and presentation; nothing wrong with that. 

• Like 4

*In my early premium cigar smoking days (i.e. before I had humidor money)  I stored my smokes in a tupperware but I lined the sides with the cedar sheets that accompanied the boxes of cigars I bought. And yes - the aroma eminating from them was pristine. I now own a Daniel Marshall humidor that I prize above all my others :wub:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have the DM Treasure Chest Humidor in Burl, it’s gorgeous, built like a tank, keeps perfect RH/temps and when I open it, it smells of heaven. I also have two 75L Tupperdors filled to the brim that do the same exact thing, they just don’t look as pretty. But they do give me a peep show of what I have and that’s a nice perk for me! I have not noticed any difference in flavor or burn between the two. 

2 hours ago, Digi said:

FWIW, I have a Daniel Marshall Ambiente 150 count desktop humi.  It sits along side two 150 quart coolidors, and two large cabinet humidors.  There's no difference in the cigars coming out of one humi vs the other.  As far as I can see, there are three downsides to a coolidor/tupperdor: They tend to settle at 2 to 4% higher RH compared to the traditional route, they don't have climate control, and they lack any sort of aesthetic.

On the DM humidor front: it's a nice, well made, well finished box but unless you're specifically seeking the brand, you can get as good a product for significantly less.  I wouldn't say its particularly special in any aspect, in fact mine is a bit leaky.  Also, I've had trouble with the hardware holding up over time - particularly the key, lock, and lock trim plate.  All have broken or fallen off the humidor.  If you're dead set on it, I'd recommend checking out their "Private Stock" or "As Is Factory Floor" areas for a deal.  Mine has a small issue on the matte black finish on the back, it was half off as a result:

https://danielmarshallshop.com/collections/private-stock-collection

https://danielmarshallshop.com/collections/as-is-factory-floor-sale

Also, if you join their Campfire Club ($60), You get 50% off your first purchase on a new humi. Things that make you go hmmmm…

• Like 3

I have 2 Aristocrats in my office, and a coolerdor put away in the closet. I honestly can't tell the difference in the cigars. That being said, I do enjoy opening the humidors and choosing which cigar I  will smoke more than rummaging through the cooler.

• Like 3

I've got DM.  Love it. Move from tupperdore to DM for a while before smoking.  In the smoking, can't tell a difference.  In the cold, yeah, big difference.  More aromatic.  Solid RH and tight close.  Big fan.   

• Thanks 1

I have a large Aristocrat and don't think it makes a difference but I still love the look and and getting the cigars out of it,  the smell when you open the doors is amazing. Also have a Rolex and while I will admit that a Timex tells time better, like the Aristocrat is a piece of nice furniture the Rolex is jewelry.  Store your cigars however you like. 

• Like 3

Bought one of the Daniel Marshal Private Stock after reading through this thread. I do miss that smell of a good seasoned humidor. My current cooler setups don’t have that smell. Maybe it’s missing that extra cedar. If nothing else it’s extra storage. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Bought one of the Daniel Marshal Private Stock after reading through this thread. I do miss that smell of a good seasoned humidor. My current cooler setups don’t have that smell. Maybe it’s missing that extra cedar. If nothing else it’s extra storage. 

Good buy.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Thanks. Hopefully it helps out my ready to smoke singles mostly. My boxes smell great when opening themfrom any storage. It’s just the singles in my newair that don’t seem to have the same aroma.

That's how I roll.  Definite aroma and surface oils that don't come out of the tupperdores.  Don't know why, don't care.  Plenty of experience.  The singles from the DM start out better.  Quality humidors.   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rcarlson said:

That's how I roll.  Definite aroma and surface oils that don't come out of the tupperdores.  Don't know why, don't care.  Plenty of experience.  The singles from the DM start out better.  Quality humidors.   

Always wanted one. Looking forward to receiving it. Should be arriving next week. Should have the singles moved into it in a few days afterwards. Then I’ll give them a bit to acclimate.