Some records you just shouldn't be proud of.....

9 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I ordered a new delivery van from a Melbourne dealer  (interstate for our OS brethren) as there was a 9 month waiting list to order one through my local dealer.  It managed to travel 1800km/1100 miles to me without a problem. 

Great little van that we will use for a small new venture.  

Beautiful blue sky Saturday and so I told Di to jump in as we go for a spin to Bunnings to pick up some DIY items.  

Long story short.   I crashed it.

Nothing serious, no one hurt, but shortly in for repair.  Completely my fault :rolleyes:

36 km = 23 miles on the clock.   Di was highly impressed. :cofcig:

Can anyone beat crashing your new car under 36km/23 miles? 

.......anyone? :D

Yep, I can beat that. Back when I first started working as a car salesman for Mazda. MD told me to go pick up some flowers he ordered down the road. I was going to walk, but the MD said to take a car from the holding lot (a brand new 323 Protege) as he needed the flowers for a customer arriving in 10 min (by foot it would have taken me 30min). Drove down to pick up the flowers, checked the road (it was a single lane each way) quickly and decided to chuck a u-turn instead of going further down the road to the next side street. Unfortunately, a car came speeding round the corner as I was halfway through the u-turn. Smack right into the right rear fender. The car had less than 15km on the odometer. Came back sheepishly with the flowers and the busted fender. I got moved over to the Daihatsu/Daewoo showroom nextdoor for a week.

Mind you, that same car got damaged a week after it had been repaired by the senior salesman. He was swapping cars out of the showroom, the side laneway was a bit tight, and he scraped the right rear fender going round the building. In the 3 months I was with that Mazda dealership, I never saw that car leave the showroom again.

Oh, and I also damaged the rear barn door on my Mercedes Sprinter the same week I got it. Very first delivery, opened the door like I usually did with my old Ford Transit. Completely forgot that the Sprinter is a lot taller than the Transit. The rear door was just under the frame of the gated storage area. As I unloaded, the vehicle got lighter of course, and the door got jammed under the frame. Bent over the top of the door. Cost me about $1000 to straighten it out and respray it. My old man was not impressed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I crashed my wife's car going about 5 mph.  I was waiting at an off ramp with one car in front of me.  He started to go, thought it was certain, I took my foot off the brake, looked away at something on the side of the road, looked back and he was still there.  

Amazing the amount of damage that can be racked up by a 5 mph collision.  

Another one that did not end in any damage, but certainly scared me was when I thought I broke my bosse's car.  He sent me to a supplier to pick up 50 pounds of scallops and a couple bags of clams.  I parked the car, got what I went for, tried to start the car and the key would not turn.  I went at it for 10 minutes until someone came out and asked if I needed help.  After showing them the issue, they politely informed the car needed to be in park to turn it back on. 

I had never driven an automatic at the time, so I honestly didn't know.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Greenhorn2 said:

Just good to hear no one was hurt. Let Di drive from now on, that way you can have someone else to blame.

Let Di drive? Are you nuts?!?! Last time I was in a car with Di, I swear I saw my life flash before my eyes!! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I bought Debbie a little Kia Sportage about a week after we moved to Jacksonville. The next morning she drove it into the garage door. A couple of scuffs on the front bumper. I'm still working on the garage door...😔

• Like 2

Ya mean like how I bought a car when I was just out of school? Put the registration in the glove box and put the new plates on. And it got stolen two days later? So when I called the Boston police to report a stolen car and they asked for make, model , color, AND license plate # and I didn’t know it? VIN? Couldn’t tell ya. The title was still in process at the motor vehicle registry. So when they found it, vandalized, two days later I couldn’t prove I owned the car because registration was no longer in the glove box. So I had to wait. Two weeks for the title. And back then there was a big gang of us who hung out every night after work and they busted my balls for weeks asking me for a ride. What a shit show that was.😂

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, 99call said:

I remember when my brother first got his drivers licence. He (as always) was desperate to appear as cool as humanly possible.   We were in my Dad's new Renault Espace, His first manoeuvre, was a cocky three point turn from a parked start in a narrow street.   He basically crashed into three cars in under a second.........it was pure bliss.    I remember saying in bounds of laughter ..........."you're soooooo f**ked!"

Golden memories,   it still brings me unending joy. 

I love having brothers. 😆

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Let Di drive? Are you nuts?!?! Last time I was in a car with Di, I swear I saw my life flash before my eyes!! :P

......the most aggressive driver in automotive history. The  passenger seat comes with a helmet. 

• Haha 2

My sister once wrecked a car I signed over to her. She wrecked it,the first time she drove it,going around the block. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

My wife was at the wheel each time the three cars that we owned together got damaged😥 Each and every time within a few weeks of delivery. The only brand new car we bought was back at the dealer for repairs before I could even lay eyes on it as it got delivered while I was overseas😜

But in her defense, every single time somebody else messed up and crashed into our cars. And so far each car ran perfectly fine after the first repair, no new dings!

• Like 1

Worst accident for me I wasn’t even in the car - I had one of my mercs in the driveway, wife pulled backwards without looking in her merc and slammed into mine.  A week before both leases were to be turned in.  Insurance paid one as not at fault and the other of course was.  Plus the body work costs on both frickin cars, plus the extra month fee because I couldn’t actually turn them in.  A Hawaiian vacation would have been cheaper all said and done.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WarriorPrincess said:

"Dee see how good the brakes work" and then he slams on the brakes and I nearly headbutt the windscreen.

Isn’t that a “stop short” move?  Rob has ulterior motives I suspect 😁

• Haha 2