Worst Habanos release since 2000?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hogwash, balderdash, and poppycock.  PSdP are terrific.  You and Kaptain Karl need to stop trolling and leave PSdP (and Brittany) alone.  😀 QDO 50 are booooooorrrrring.   On the LE front, th

1. Regular Production (including LCDH).  Montecristo Open Eagle. (lifeless and bland. Runner up Double Edmundo) 2. Limited Edition Trinidad Short Robustos T

Wow, didn't see that one coming. Wouldn't even enter into my top 10 worst ELs. Not that I liked it but there have been some pretty bad ELs. 1. Monte Open Junior 2. Trini Short Robustos T (Ry

Gonna pile on Monte and say that the worst EL was the Montecristo D EL 2005. Fireproof, no balance, more of a hot mess than a Bachelorette party in Nashville at 3am. 

For my regular production, I don't really get the Monte Open line. 

A little surprised to see the qd50, as I've had really amazing ones lately (the 54 is basically hot air though...). But as @El Presidentesays...at some point we'll see everything here :)

• Haha 1

*That supposed new release of the Ramon Allones LE with the old green & white cigar band. BLAAAAAAAAAHHHHH.....NO flavor: NO fun. And Ramon Allones is one of my favorite Habano cigars.

1 hour ago, cigcars said:

*That supposed new release of the Ramon Allones LE with the old green & white cigar band. BLAAAAAAAAAHHHHH.....NO flavor: NO fun. And Ramon Allones is one of my favorite Habano cigars.

The RA Allones extra LE? It isn't new though, came out in 2011ish.

worst EL ish release for me was the Cuaba Diademas, tasted pretty bad, I have a review somewhere, I think literal garbage was part of my flavour notes :rotfl:

worst regular production guantanamera but I guess that's machine made... So I don't know, but I'm definitely not a fan of the current vegueros.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jakebarnes said:

Gonna pile on Monte and say that the worst EL was the Montecristo D EL 2005. Fireproof, no balance, more of a hot mess than a Bachelorette party in Nashville at 3am. 

For my regular production, I don't really get the Monte Open line. 

A little surprised to see the qd50, as I've had really amazing ones lately (the 54 is basically hot air though...). But as @El Presidentesays...at some point we'll see everything here :)

Had two boxes of the D. My first box was spectacular which led me to purchase another one. Box #2 had very thick wrappers that would not burn if doused with a gallon of Coleman fuel. Really got me off EL's. 

8 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

They're so bad I refuse to even entertain trading/giving out any of the 10 boxes I was stupid enough to buy

You bought ten boxes of a cigar you had never tried? I confess I am impressed.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Not much Punch DNA.

I can't disagree more. All of mine have been more 'Punchy' than Punch Punch recent releases. That crisp cedar and spice is so prominent in my 19/20 boxes. PSdP is my favorite recent release.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Puros Y Vino said:

Montecristo Open Eagle. (lifeless and bland. Runner up Double Edmundo)

Eagle worse than the Master? Or Junior? Impossible. 

And blasphemy on the DE...before 2017 I would agree. Had one since 2018? The best Monte IMO. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KCCubano said:

Had two boxes of the D. My first box was spectacular which led me to purchase another one. Box #2 had very thick wrappers that would not burn if doused with a gallon of Coleman fuel. Really got me off EL's. 

Your experience in rd 2 reflects mine. Terrible burn due to thick wrappers, uninspiring flavor profile. Really turned me off of ELs for...well, since. Especially with so many things smoking well and for less at the time (Including the Gold Medal). 

39 minutes ago, La_Tigre said:

Monte 5 have not enjoyed any across age and box code.

Wow. Monte 5 has been my most reliable Monte for 20 years. Do you find them too punchy? They are probably the strongest Monte. 

Also, definitely not introduced since 2000...

46 minutes ago, La_Tigre said:

What’s the deal with so many EL and fireproof wrappers….?

Always been a recurring issue with ELs but less so since around 2011. Upper tapado leaf is thick and requires extra processing. It does always get it. Also thicker wrapper can easily separate or have too much space from the binder if not rolled properly causing poor burns. 

4 hours ago, BoliDan said:

I can't disagree more. All of mine have been more 'Punchy' than Punch Punch recent releases. That crisp cedar and spice is so prominent in my 19/20 boxes. PSdP is my favorite recent release.

Yeah, haven't got any of that. They're definitely punchy, I'll give you that. And some are better than others but they are just a mess for me. Gone through 3 boxes over 18 months and pretty much the same. I find the Punch 48 is much more in line with the marca. Having some La Isla they aren't anything alike. In fact all of the recent Punch ERs (Duke, Preferidos and La isla) are all pretty similar in profile. SdP, not even close. 

On 6/26/2022 at 9:03 PM, Puros Y Vino said:

1. Regular Production (including LCDH). 

Montecristo Open Eagle. (lifeless and bland. Runner up Double Edmundo)

2. Limited Edition

Trinidad Short Robustos T

Seconded.

1. Montecristo Open Eagle / Montecristo Double Edmundo.

2. LE ... Romeo y Julieta Anejados

I'd say it was as if I was smoking CC leaf farts, but I feel like even those would have more flavor. They're like the white bread of cigars. 

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2022 at 10:29 PM, Chas.Alpha said:

Monte Open line. Never could figure out what they were thinking.

I can see what they were thinking, but it was half baked and not realizing that people who don't smoke often want the flagship cigars (e.g., Monte 2, Monte 4, CoRo, PSD 4, PSP 2, etc). It's Ford making a 4 cylinder Mustang to please the masses, they'll probably have a ton sitting on the lot at the end of the month waiting to sell. People want the V8 not the 4 cylinder. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tjkoala said:

I can see what they were thinking, but it was half baked and not realizing that people who don't smoke often want the flagship cigars (e.g., Monte 2, Monte 4, CoRo, PSD 4, PSP 2, etc). It's Ford making a 4 cylinder Mustang to please the masses, they'll probably have a ton sitting on the lot at the end of the month waiting to sell. People want the V8 not the 4 cylinder. 

I think the Monte Open line was created to grab the casual/nascent smoker.  Very light blends as to not put people off, etc.  The tied in a golf motif to appeal to a certain market.  I've heard a few wise beards tell me Davidoff did something similar with the Dom Perignon.  They crafted a larger, mild cigar to lure in casual smokers who wanted to show off but not choke while smoking. :D

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Wow. Monte 5 has been my most reliable Monte for 20 years. Do you find them too punchy? They are probably the strongest Monte. 

Always been a recurring issue with ELs but less so since around 2011. Upper tapado leaf is thick and requires extra processing. It does always get it. Also thicker wrapper can easily separate or have too much space from the binder if not rolled properly causing poor burns. 

Gone through 3 boxes over 18 months and pretty much the same. I find the Punch 48 is much more in line with the marca.

Ouch that's tough. I've had better luck with them than 48s but only had 2 boxes of those so far.

11 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Acrid, canoe, fireproof, wind tunnel, tent peg, rocket..all the appeal of an ammonia inhalant after getting your bell rung by a middle linebacker.

11 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Titles longer than ”24:24 Friday and Weekend” are just too much of a challenge….. 🤣 

45 minutes ago, Puros Y Vino said:

I think the Monte Open line was created to grab the casual/nascent smoker.  Very light blends as to not put people off, etc. 

I mean I agree, but the Monte series isn't a very powerful cigar as is. Like walk into any humidor and grab what feels like 90% of NC cigars and the standard Monte feels more like a cake walk. With that perspective I think most smokers who dabble in both NC and CC would say that the Open series is way underpowered, even if by design. I would say your beginner at least wants to taste something if they're going to smell like smoke all day.

53 minutes ago, Puros Y Vino said:

I think the Monte Open line was created to grab the casual/nascent smoker.  Very light blends as to not put people off, etc.  The tied in a golf motif to appeal to a certain market.  I've heard a few wise beards tell me Davidoff did something similar with the Dom Perignon.  They crafted a larger, mild cigar to lure in casual smokers who wanted to show off but not choke while smoking. :D

The Monte Open lines excels in this actually.  Cleaner after taste like a vintage cigars.  The Open's have their place and setting.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Am I one of the only fans of Double Edmundo's? 

I love them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tjkoala said:

I mean I agree, but the Monte series isn't a very powerful cigar as is. Like walk into any humidor and grab what feels like 90% of NC cigars and the standard Monte feels more like a cake walk. With that perspective I think most smokers who dabble in both NC and CC would say that the Open series is way underpowered, even if by design. I would say your beginner at least wants to taste something if they're going to smell like smoke all day.

4 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

The Monte Open lines excels in this actually.  Cleaner after taste like a vintage cigars.  The Open's have their place and setting.

So, in essence. Habanos marketing got this right? 😜 I don't particularly care for this line, but Habanos found a market that does?  FWIW though. Most of the "vintage" boxes I see appearing on various FB groups, tend to come the "Open" line.  Also, a few B&M's have older box codes which tells me they're not moving them quickly, therefore not restocking. So, in effect there is a market for these, but it may not be as large as Habanos hoped for?

• Like 1