Deep Dive: H. Upmann Connoisseur Number 1

El Presidente

H. Upmann Connoisseur Number 1  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A fan to many....a mystery for some. H. Upmann Connoisseur Number 1 

Rate them on the basis of how you prefer to smoke them.

Let's talk the Connie 1 

• Do you like  H. Upmann Connoisseur Number 1 ?
  • Where does it stand in the ranks of the other existing Robusto/Hermoso 4?
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a  H. Upmann Connoisseur Number 1?
  • Do the poll!

Salute the Connie 1  :cigar:

I’ve only had one box, and from a code which some have found problematic: BRE OCT 17. After an awkward youth, they have come round really well in the last year. I am not the biggest Upmann fan, but I find them the ‘straightest’ tobacco flavour and quite hard to determine a lot of obviously distinct and ‘unusual’ flavours (compared to Monte chocolate, Romeo red fruit etc). But I’m on the lookout for another nice looking box, as per @99call’s good advice above.

• Like 1

I've never had one that I recall.  Is it much different than a Mag 46?  I generally like the Upmann line but they sure have a lot of just slightly different cigars.  I'm not sure I need their entire portfolio in my humidor.  I stock the A, the 46, the #2, and Sir Winston (when available)  I won't vote officially on this one, but until I try one, I don't get it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

I've never had one that I recall.  Is it much different than a Mag 46?  I generally like the Upmann line but they sure have a lot of just slightly different cigars.  I'm not sure I need their entire portfolio in my humidor.  I stock the A, the 46, the #2, and Sir Winston (when available)  I won't vote officially on this one, but until I try one, I don't get it.

I know you generally have the A. What draws you to that one? I really don't stock them consistently at all outside of Mag 46. 

I agree with RDB as they do have a strong toasted tobacco tendency as their backbone with that sweet almond and nuttiness for the 1 and the rich custard on the 2 but then the B is to me what Trinidad promises in their tasting notes but I always end up getting mongrel and tea but the B is all cookie dough

Connie B is my favorite in that lineup…Mag 54 is nice as well but nothing puts lead in my pencil like the B and the Winston

• Like 1

Great cigar. Likely the best substitute for the axed Upmann PC, at least for me. What I don't get is the Conn#2 and Conn A. All similar sizes to the original Conn#1, but much more ridiculous pricing. Although the days of $200/box Conn#1 seem light years in the past. I will still buy the Conn#1 over any other Upmann hands down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jakebarnes said:

I know you generally hvae the A. What draws you to that one? I really don't stock them consistently at all outside of Mag 46. 

It's a very well balanced cigar with a lot of flavor.  Has the straw/hay barnyard that I really like.  A good #2 has it too, but not as flavorful or complex.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SCgarman said:

What I don't get is the Conn#2 and Conn A.

I had quite a few Connie 2 when they first hit early last year. I wasn't impressed, although I loved the Bohemios vitola. I hadn't had another until a few weeks ago in Cuba when I grabbed a single from late 21 just for the hell of it. It was glorious. Smoked like a richer, smoother Connie 1. Second best cigar I had there next to a Siglo VI single. Yes, it was only one stick but I think the late 21s are worth a revisit. And at the Cuba price of $220 vs. $190 for the 1 I might be grabbing more 2s than 1s. 

Connie A to me has never regained the quality it had early on. After 2016 they just haven't had the richness the 13-15s had. They also seem to be heavier in that sourdough flavor which had been more balanced early on. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I had quite a few Connie 2 when they first hit early last year. I wasn't impressed, although I loved the Bohemios vitola. I hadn't had another until a few weeks ago in Cuba when I grabbed a single from late 21 just for the hell of it. It was glorious. Smoked like a richer, smoother Connie 1. Second best cigar I had there next to a Siglo VI single. Yes, it was only one stick but I think the late 21s are worth a revisit. And at the Cuba price of $220 vs. $190 for the 1 I might be grabbing more 2s than 1s. 

Connie A to me has never regained the quality it had early on. After 2016 they just haven't had the richness the 13-15s had. They also seem to be heavier in that sourdough flavor which had been more balanced early on. 

Wow, sub $200/box for Conn#1 seems like ages ago. They are fetching much more than that now.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 11:23 AM, SCgarman said:

Wow, sub $200/box for Conn#1 seems like ages ago. They are fetching much more than that now.

I know, the last time I was there in 2017 Connie 1 was $165/box but Rob was selling them for $170! Consequently I didn't buy any there. 

All the Hermosos No. 4 were sub-$200 just 4 years ago. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I know, the last time I was there in 2017 Connie 1 was $165/box but Rob was selling them for $170! Consequently I didn't buy any there. 

All the Hermosos No. 4 were sub-$200 just 4 years ago. 

Last box of Conn#1 I bought were in July 2020. Paid $206/box. Should have bought 5 at that price. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCgarman said:

Last box of Conn#1 I bought were in July 2020. Paid $206/box. Should have bought 5 at that price. 

It was a bummer they disappeared for a year. I don’t think there was any (or very few) with a 20 box code. 

2 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

It was a bummer they disappeared for a year. I don’t think there was any (or very few) with a 20 box code. 

These are BRE 19

42 minutes ago, SCgarman said:

These are BRE 19

Yup I think that was the last of them for a year until they came back out in 2021 codes. Maybe there were a few but I never saw em on 24:24. 
Im smoking a ‘21 now and it’s fantastic!