Deep Dive: H. Upmann Connoisseur Number 1

El Presidente

H. Upmann Connoisseur Number 1  

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

Yup I think that was the last of them for a year until they came back out in 2021 codes. Maybe there were a few but I never saw em on 24:24. 
Im smoking a ‘21 now and it’s fantastic!

I’ve got a GEM FEB 20 box

Just an outstanding cigar. As an added bonus, they are smoking great young. Yesterday evening I had this GEM AGO 21 from our host. All the Connie 1 flavors were there… thick rich creamy smoke in the first third, citrus fruit and cream with a bit of pepper in the second, and cocoa with sweet tobacco through the finish. Not a single rough  on a cigar that is only 9 months old. A very enjoyable 90 minutes.

D400D0D0-1B26-4FCC-B095-C91880720F51.jpeg.a0acacc388a21ac2f14c9cfdaca9693f.jpeg 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

Yup I think that was the last of them for a year until they came back out in 2021 codes. Maybe there were a few but I never saw em on 24:24. 
Im smoking a ‘21 now and it’s fantastic!

I don't recall much if anything of a production gap for Connie 1. The only interesting thing to note is before 2021 they were overwhelmingly rolled at HU. Now it seems only about 1/3 are HU. 

8 hours ago, GaryK 54 said:

Not a single rough  on a cigar that is only 9 months old.

I find all that Connie 1s need is about 6 mos, but they do need 6 mos. ROTT they can be a little bitter. 

The ones over the year I've gotten here have been great. I've heard from others horror stories from other vendors on this vitola. All HU's I compare to SW's in taste. Good ones get there in a shorter format. I think this is why people love these. You get a good box of these it's like a short SW that's what I've noticed. I can agree they need some sleep time.

This is one cigar that I have never liked with the half a dozen samples I have tried over the years. It is clear that the profile represents the other side of H. Upmann from the Mag 46 and Majestic, and more akin to the Half Corona. I love the three aforementioned cigars but can't seem to get the sweet, rich flavors so many others get from the Connie 1, I wish I could. 

• 3 months later...
On 8/25/2022 at 2:23 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

Just came across a GEM MAR 20 box although I do recall not seeing many other 20s. 

I was buying pretty heavily during that time and would have stacked some boxes if they came up relatively frequently! Definitely looks like they were made but not a lot of them. I wish I had 4-5 boxes, I’m smoking more Connie 1 than anything else right now! 

6 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

I was buying pretty heavily during that time and would have stacked some boxes if they came up relatively frequently! Definitely looks like they were made but not a lot of them. I wish I had 4-5 boxes, I’m smoking more Connie 1 than anything else right now! 

FYI, I've had a couple out of this MAR 20 box and they are very tannic. Not bitter but tannic so age should help. I received them in a vacuum sealed bag so perhaps that has something to do with it but I have to put these down for a while to air out for at least 6 months. More recent boxes are fine so I'm smoking those first. I haven't had any issues with any Connie 1s with the new bands (Q1 21 on). All solid. 

• Like 2

The Connie 1 used to be the end of the week Friday afternoon cigar I’d smoke with a couple of buddies.  Easy to get, never too young, and often on sale, it was great cigar to keep on hand for an hour's smoke relaxing after work. I always thought the cigar was Ok but nothing special. I’ll get a fiver sooner or later to see what all of the fuss is about. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The H. Upmann Connie 1 is my favorite cigar. I have about 10 boxes in my coolidors ranging in box code years (all from H Upmann factory) from 2011 - 2017. They were a steal for under $200 about 6 years ago. My last two boxes of 2017 I bought on sale for about $165. I wish I would have bought 10+ boxes for that price.

• Like 1