Reminiscing. "Stuff we did that our kids wouldn't believe today".

28 minutes ago, dobbs said:

mine are the same as many: walking to elementary school, outside freedom, general media disconnect.

but the one that gets me, here in caifornia at least, is that we used to be able to decide to go camping, and just go do it. seems nowadays everyone wants to sleep outside and most places require reservations. i used to live not far north of bug sur, and in the 90's we would just drive the coast and be alone. i don't know what happened, but it's a damn traffic jam all the way down. my private theory is that cars got more reliable. that and instagram.

-dobbs

You’re sure right, it’s a freaking traffic jam at the coast right now!! Huge difference in the last 5 years. Our quite fishing harbor (Bodega Bay) is a party on the weekends now! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We just used our finger. You could loaded up 3 shots at a time.

Great days.  I found my first Penthouse magazine tucked under the mattress at a grade 7school camp. Life changing.

I grew up in an affluent town. We shot each other with our Daisy BB guns 😁. Lots of close calls but no eyes lost either. 

I was admonished, by my mother, that if we wanted to continue hitchhiking to the beach then we had to take my best friend's older brother because he was 13.  We were 11 at the time.

We had lots of firearm fun in the canyon near us.  The local cops didn't have a helicopter so we could always see them driving up and go out a back trail.

Closer to the house we used BB guns to hunt the rabbits in a farmer's strawberry field.  He caught us and once we explained what we were doing, he said he'd give us 25 cents for each rabbit, but only for 10 a week as his family would revolt if he made them eat too much rabbit!

Firecrackers, bottle rockets and the only thing I ever got in big trouble for:  the infamous "Auto Fooler"

auto fooler.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, El Presidente said:

We got caned at school. 

a lot. :D

Imagine that happening today.

I still remember that day in 1984, when our principal got on the PA and told us that the NSW Board of Education has banned the use of the cane. I raised my hand and asked, "So what is going to stop us now from acting up?". My 4th grade teacher Mr Reeves just shrugged his shoulders. He actually put his cane in a little display case after that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, El Presidente said:

compulsory milk at school.  It was free and in summer always warm. 

If you didn't drink your allocation you would be caned.

I would have been sore 😂. I haven’t had a glass of milk since I was 7. 

• Like 1

I used to buy cigarettes when I was 12 from this guy at the tobacco shop who had a voice box. True. Also. I guess I climbed a radio tower on psychedelics as a teenager. 12 stories up. I have little to no recollection of a lot of our shenanigans.  

Earlier on,I would spend most of my days fishing the local piers and off the rocks. Those were some good times 👍

• Like 1

I remember my dad putting me on the roof so I could turn the tv antenna whenever we wanted to change the channel. When the phone rang, (hanging on the wall) we raced to see who it was calling. Sometimes you had to ask your neighbors to get off the party line so you could actually use the phone.

• Like 3

I picked up half smoked cigs thrown from car windows and smoked them while walking back and forth to school in my grade school years.  I should have the immune system of a replicant straight from the script of Blade Runner.  Then again maybe lung cancer is in my future.  I can't believe those cigs were very good for me at that age.

Funny thing is, I never became a cigarrette smoker outside of those experiences.

• Haha 2

Cannot say....but if we meet I will tell you 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

im in my thirties, but still things have changed so much

renting video games and VHS

watching flow tv

waiting 7 minutes for my commadore 64 to load. Switch floppy disks 7 times during a game

booking time on the library to use the internet for 1 hour. Check emails. Didnt receive any.

eat whatever meal my mother or grandmother would cook, and be happy about it

people smoking in the bus

driving in cars without seatbelt

wondering if there would be a nuclear war with russia... wait, that one is still there..

1 hour ago, Mhansen85 said:

waiting 7 minutes for my commadore 64 to load. Switch floppy disks 7 times during a game

Disks? Try waiting for the game to load from tape.

Amazon.com: COMMODORE DATASSETTE Tape set : Electronics

• Haha 2

When I was about 11 or so we had a lesson in school about the three ingredients need to make gun powder. Sulfur, saltpeter, and charcoal. A couple of days later the kid down the street and I decided to make a bomb. Down in the basement at the work bench we had a bit of pipe stuffed with our homemade gunpowder and were puzzled about how to seal the ends of the pipe. So my old man walks in.

"What are you doing?"

After a bit of obfuscation we admitted we were making a bomb.

My old man was a talented mechanical engineer. He didn't even bat an eye. 

"How you gonna seal the ends so it will explode? What are you going to use for a fuse? Where are you gonna set it off? Ya better make the fuse long enough so you can get far enough away to be safe."

He asked us enough questions so that we soon were discouraged  and just took the gunpowder outside and tried to light it. My old man.... he was never one to discourage scientific enquiry or initiative.  We had a project and were working it out, nothing to see here. Young boys on Saturday afternoon doing what young boys do.

Today? We'd probably have to go to therapy for years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/1/2022 at 2:55 AM, Cigar Surgeon said:
  • Walking many km's to and from school, in -30 (s)C(ience) or snowstorms. Didn't matter. Started around the age of 10.
  • Walking many km's to a convenience store. Started around the age of 10.
  • Being told to 'get out of the house' and not to come back until dinner time. Started around the age of 10.

Any siblings that are coincidentally 10 years younger than you?

On 4/1/2022 at 6:37 AM, El Presidente said:

We got caned at school. 

a lot. :D

Imagine that happening today.

I got choked-out by a substitute teacher in grade 5 or 6. Someone else turned the lights off in the classroom on his way out and I was standing close to the switch. Principal swept it under the rug despite the hand prints on an unconscious student's neck

Ah, the good old days 🤣

• Like 1

A couple that I still chuckle about...

Flying back to Oakland from San Diego after a week in Ensenada with a suitcase full of explosives 🧨 

Wanting to build my own canon so I went to the hardware store and bought a piece of pipe and a cap and then went to the TV repairman shop and had him drill a hole in the cap for a fuse

My Irish dancing teacher kept a rubber bullet on display in her trophy cabinet. She had been shot with it at a demonstration in Derry. Hardy woman.

My French teacher in school was a nazi. Not a "nazi". A Nazi. From Brittany, he joined the SS in 1944 as Hitler promised Brittany independence from France if they helped track down and kill French resistance members, which they did. There were always rumours about him but the truth only really came out after he died.

He used to help kids with pronunciation by pressing a sharpened pencil on their tongues to keep them flat while they read from the board. I met a few school friends at a funeral yesterday. We all still have decent French pronunciation.

https://m.facebook.com/ThiepvalGalleryBHMT/posts/356868304957017

My father as a 9 year old kid on the farm in 1930 got an ingrown toenail. Doctors were scarce in the area at the time. Vets, less so. When the vet came, three of his brothers held my father down on the kitchen table while the vet used a sheep hoof trimmer to slice the nail up the middle. Then pulled out each half with a pliers. The nail never grew back right. 

I'm not sure if that vet ever met my French teacher.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, riderpride said:

Any siblings that are coincidentally 10 years younger than you?

Only child!

2 hours ago, riderpride said:

I got choked-out by a substitute teacher in grade 5 or 6. Someone else turned the lights off in the classroom on his way out and I was standing close to the switch. Principal swept it under the rug despite the hand prints on an unconscious student's neck

Ah, the good old days 🤣

Ah yes, teacher abuse. Got picked up by my throat once or twice. Yard stick across the knuckles more than a few times. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, riderpride said:

Ah, the good old days 🤣

I was taught touch typing (using typewriters with no printing on the keys) by Catholic Nunz.

I still have a scar on one knuckle from Sister Mary Elephant.

To this day, when I see a yard stick - I get a flashback.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jack said:

I was taught touch typing (using typewriters with no printing on the keys) by Catholic Nunz.

I still have a scar on one knuckle from Sister Mary Elephant.

To this day, when I see a yard stick - I get a flashback.

Penguins...

My dad has a lot to say about them too, so I feel your pain

n4fzT3.gif

18 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Disks? Try waiting for the game to load from tape.

You still haven't gotten it to load have you?  Be honest :)

On 3/31/2022 at 9:54 AM, El Presidente said:

We were too poor for elastic guns. 

We were not too bright either.  :rolleyes:

Make your own slingshots from old bike tubes.  Find a nice smooth rock and shoot at each other from 10 paces.

We drove around town shooting bottle rockets at each other out the car window by hand.  We weren't all that smart, and on those side of the tracks this was very much safer than the alternative!

On 3/31/2022 at 5:46 PM, El Presidente said:

Great days. 

I found my first Penthouse magazine tucked under the mattress at a grade 7school camp. Life changing.

Of course you did and they certainly were.  You didn't think all of us thought the Desnudo idea fell from the sky or had anything to do with cigars did you?

🤐

• Haha 1