JohnS' Smoking Diary 2022

JohnS

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to thank those of you who have in turn thanked me for my previous blogs the past three years and have encouraged me to continue with a new chapter in this series in 2022. A number of you

Cohiba Talismán 2017 - Edición Limitada UAO Ago 2017 Do you remember the hype surrounding the release of the Cohiba Talisman 2017 Limited Edition? It was launched in London in October 2017, it so

San Cristóbal de la Habana El Príncipe (circa 2009) I'd like to thank @NSXCIGAR for making this cigar available for me to smoke via trade. After all, a 2009 San Cristobal de la Habana El Principe

23 hours ago, JohnS said:

Romeo y Julieta Churchills 2019 - Habanos Añejados ALP Mar 2007

The Anejados program was first announced in 2014 with the release of the Montecristo Churchill and Romeo y Julieta Piramides. In 2015 the Partagas Corona Gorda and Hoyo de Monterrey Hermosos No 4 were released and finally in 2016 we got the H.Upmann Robustos. The two characteristics these cigars all shared were that they were aged (anejados in Spanish means 'aged') and they represented vitolas not normally associated with their marcas in regular production. I could further point out a third characteristic: reviews for all these cigars have been mixed, ranging from very good, to acceptable to downright bad. The elevated price points for these cigars hasn't helped marketing either.

I suppose whispers surrounding the authenticity of the whole program haven't helped. I mean, is it plausible that Habanos S.A really kept aside cigars in unique vitolas from the mid-2000s to release to market ten years later? I mean, was some Habanos S.A. executive/s somehow inspired by the well-known story of Joseph telling the Pharaoh of Egypt from the book of Genesis to set aside grain for future famine conditions the motivation for this idea? It's been cynically suggested on our forum that the first five releases were re-packaged unsold vitolas in other marcas. For example, it's been said that the Montecristo Churchill Anejados were simply unsold 2006 Sancho Panza Gigantes. Given that no-one in the Cuban Cigar Industry has gone on record as even knowing the existence of this program prior to 2014, you'd have to say that these concerns have been well-justified.

Fast-forward to 2019 and for the first time in three years a new release to the program was added, only this time it included a vitola that is already in regular production: the Romeo y Julieta Churchills Anejados Tubos. These Romeo y Julieta Churchills come in their historical grey aluminum tubes with a bottom screw- cap in which the cigars were aged for about 12 years. They include their original dress box from 2007, with an additional elegant brown protective case that protects and embellishes the vintage box. The old bottom screw-cap is a nice reminder of days gone past as since 2006 Habanos S.A has gradually phased them out with friction-held slide-off caps at the top of the tube.

Perhaps the Romeo y Julieta Churchills Anejados has restored 'faith' in this program, because despite the elevated price-point of these releases, in 2021 Habanos S.A announced a further two releases of cigars already in regular production; the Montecristo Tubos and Trinidad Fundadores. I'm waiting in anticipation just to view the old-style bands that these latter releases would carry. No surprises that as of late-2022 these announced releases are not yet in circulation.

This Romeo y Julieta Churchills Anejados has the typical 47 ring gauge x 178 mm or 7 inches length and came with a wrapper that had a beautiful dark brown color, just under colorado maduro shade, just like my last one smoked six months ago, and which I purchased as a single acquisition. This Romeo y Julieta Churchills Anejados was acquired as a six-pack purchase from a recent 24:24 listing, based on how superb my last RyJ Churchill Anejados was. All six of these newly-purchased RyJ Churchill Anejados also have a similar dark brown wrapper shade. The cigar comes with the old Romeo y Julieta band, with a second Aged (Anejados) band on the wrapper.

I had a good draw and the cigar started off with a strong nutty/creamy texture to it, like walnut and coconut and some hints of vanilla. In the middle third, those vanilla notes dissipated and some 'Earthy' flavours took over at a medium-strength. In the final third, I got some more forest floor-type flavours. The strength also increased a little to medium-full, like the last RyJ Churchills Anejados I smoked six months ago.

I smoked this in around 110 minutes and concluded that it was another outstanding cigar but was it typical of an aged Romeo y Julieta cigar? My mind fast-tracked back to the discontinued Bolivar Coronas Gigantes in early 2017 and wondered if this Romeo y Julieta Churchill Anejados were one and the same? For a cigar purportedly fifteen years old, the strength and flavours were atypical, in my opinion. Nevertheless, there's no doubt that the Romeo y Julieta Churchills Anejados does not share the same reputational status as other previous Anejados releases. It continues to smoke superbly.

John, 

Firstly, and again, I always appreciate learning from your posts.  ...To the point, I too have some of the RyJ Añejado Churchills (from a 24:24) earlier this year, and I acknowledge that they are much maligned.  That said, my thought remains that these are still RyJ Churchills regardless of the supposed aging, and I am happy to age them myself.  

I only tried one so far, and that one did not compare as favorably to self-kept examples from 2018 and 2015 (so I too am skeptical of the aged moniker), ...but I'm willing to hold these for some years to see what comes of them, especially with the help (and simple beauty) of the plain aluminum tubos.  

I hope all of them (yours, mine and any others who took the chance) experience something special in some years :)  

Again, many thanks for your thoughtful reviews, and with best regards, 

-Cliff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2022 at 4:31 PM, JohnS said:

My view that the Arturo Fuente Hemingway line closely compares to the H.Upmann Connoisseur Habanos line remains steadfast; it's actually quite uncanny how directly they align. I guess you just have to smoke one for yourself to see what I mean!

Your recent AF Hemmi entry is particularly interesting.  Specifically, the part where you compare the hemmi to the HUP connie line. Admittedly, I have not yet smoked anything except for Coronas and Regalias in the HUP line (I def favor these).  But, I am imminently familiar with the Cameroon wrapped hemmis and, luckily, I have some Connie 2s from 24:24 that will arrive in the future.  Based on my experiences, and some midgrade speculation regarding the conni, I find it hard to imagine that the two would share any distinct flavor characteristics warranting a comparison.  But, there it is, you said it, and you are credible.  I can’t wait to compare them for myself. I hope I am proven wrong as it would be a very interesting learning experience IMO.  I appreciate your diary entries not only for their content, but also because they provide opportunities to explore the CC flavor journey and share it with others.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Glass Half Full said:

John, 

Firstly, and again, I always appreciate learning from your posts.  ...To the point, I too have some of the RyJ Añejado Churchills (from a 24:24) earlier this year, and I acknowledge that they are much maligned.  That said, my thought remains that these are still RyJ Churchills regardless of the supposed aging, and I am happy to age them myself.  

I only tried one so far, and that one did not compare as favorably to self-kept examples from 2018 and 2015 (so I too am skeptical of the aged moniker), ...but I'm willing to hold these for some years to see what comes of them, especially with the help (and simple beauty) of the plain aluminum tubos.  

I hope all of them (yours, mine and any others who took the chance) experience something special in some years :)  

Again, many thanks for your thoughtful reviews, and with best regards, 

-Cliff

Thank you, Cliff. The main goal I have with this review series is to remain as objective as possible. Sometimes, that means providing information that runs counter to my feelings. In regards to the Romeo y Julieta Churchills, that is a cigar that I have a soft spot for, definitely. Your thoughts on this reflect my own wishes for this vitola in the future.

I guess that ultimately, whether these 2007 Romeo y Julieta Anejados Churchills are true to their marca or not, they are atypical for the program in general because unlike other Anejados cigars, these have been generally well-received by cigar enthusiasts.

1 hour ago, Lamboinee said:

Your recent AF Hemmi entry is particularly interesting.  Specifically, the part where you compare the hemmi to the HUP connie line. Admittedly, I have not yet smoked anything except for Coronas and Regalias in the HUP line (I def favor these).  But, I am imminently familiar with the Cameroon wrapped hemmis and, luckily, I have some Connie 2s from 24:24 that will arrive in the future.  Based on my experiences, and some midgrade speculation regarding the conni, I find it hard to imagine that the two would share any distinct flavor characteristics warranting a comparison.  But, there it is, you said it, and you are credible.  I can’t wait to compare them for myself. I hope I am proven wrong as it would be a very interesting learning experience IMO.  I appreciate your diary entries not only for their content, but also because they provide opportunities to explore the CC flavor journey and share it with others. 

Thank you for your thoughts, Lamboinee. I'm yet to sample a H.Upmann Connoisseur No.2 and so when I mention the Connoisseur series I am very much thinking of the H.Upmann Connoisseur No.1. Ultimately, it's just my opinion (that there are similarities in the Arturo Fuente Hemingway line and the H.Upmann Connoisseur line) and if you find differences, trust me, that's okay. When it all 'comes down to it', cigar smoking is a subjective experience. All I can do is be as honest and well-informed, critically, as I can.

Even as I type this, I'm reflecting on the last Arturo Fuente Hemingway Work of Art I smoked and how much I enjoyed its creamy texture and sweet tobacco. It makes me want to light another one up right now just thinking about it, in the same way a superlative H.Upmann Connoisseur No.1 does!

• Like 1

On 11/1/2022 at 2:50 AM, JohnS said:

Of course I intend to acquire some more cigars within this line in the future. The Arturo Fuente Hemingway series has become one of my favourite Non-Cuban releases and each cigar I smoke continues to exceed my expectations for frankly what good cigars they are.

Thanks for the reviews, John. I smoked a lot of Hemingways (and Fuente 898s) before I made the transition to Cuban cigars. Back then I would buy a lot of singles and the AF Hemingways were often in my humidor. Maybe I need to rethink my Cuban cigar snobbery 🤯 .

• Like 3

On 11/1/2022 at 7:56 AM, JohnS said:

If you have Sancho Panza in you humidor, excepting the SP Belicosos,

Thanks for the insightful reviews, as always they are excellent. I bought a box of SP Belis recently and was planning to age approx 5 years… does that seem reasonable? I notice you mention ‘except’ here so was wondering.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2022 at 8:36 AM, karp said:

Thanks for the insightful reviews, as always they are excellent. I bought a box of SP Belis recently and was planning to age approx 5 years… does that seem reasonable? I notice you mention ‘except’ here so was wondering.. 

Sancho Panza Belicosos have been hard to come by in the last 12 to 24 months. Prior to this, from 2018 onwards, they had a reputation for smoking superbly, they were more 'toasty' and they smoked well with little downtime so they didn't need long-term rest, in my view, to enjoy them. In comparison, the Sancho Panza Non Plus benefited from more rest.

If you wanted to rest your Sancho Panza Belicosos for five years then that's fine. Trust me, they won't diminish in quality. However, in general, in recent times the SP Belicosos has been an exception to the rule that Sancho Panza benefits from long-term rest.

• Thanks 1

I am enjoying an outstanding Partagas D4 while browsing the forum and reading your latest batch of reviews. I’ll also say, I am also a big fan of the Leyenda. 

• Like 2