JohnS' Smoking Diary 2022

JohnS

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to thank those of you who have in turn thanked me for my previous blogs the past three years and have encouraged me to continue with a new chapter in this series in 2022. A number of you

Cohiba Talismán 2017 - Edición Limitada UAO Ago 2017 Do you remember the hype surrounding the release of the Cohiba Talisman 2017 Limited Edition? It was launched in London in October 2017, it so

San Cristóbal de la Habana El Príncipe (circa 2009) I'd like to thank @NSXCIGAR for making this cigar available for me to smoke via trade. After all, a 2009 San Cristobal de la Habana El Principe

8 hours ago, JohnS said:

Montecristo No.1 GEL Nov 2020

The last few times I've written a review on the Montecristo No.1, I've mentioned that if I had to guess what sells within the Montecristo marca, in terms of annual volume, in the original Montecristo line when it was first released in 1935, I would say the No.4 followed by the No.2 sell in the greatest numbers. The Montecristo No.5 would be next followed by a distance by the No.1 and No.3. The reason the last two would be less in demand, in my view, would be due to their vitola dimensions rather than how good a cigar they are. Lonsdales and coronas respectively don't currently sell in great numbers, hence their recent mass deletions in the last 15 to 20 years. I find it a great shame how 'under-the-radar' the Montecristo No.1 (and No.3) is, but I'd say that would be less so amongst enthusiasts on our forum.

Recent stocks of 2019/20 Montecristo No.1 have been smoking very well, as their sales on 24:24 listings in that time would attest to. I was low on Montecristo No.1 stock in my humidor so I acquired this GEL Nov 2020 quarter pack in the middle of 2021. I'm glad I did too, after all, this is only the third Montecristo No.1 I've smoked in the last two years!

This Montecristo No.1 was similar in its flavours as my last Monte 1 smoked six months ago. It was light in milk coffee and cocoa/chocolate, it had a distinctive citrus twang, leather, some nuttiness and a pleasing creamy texture on the palate. It was around mild-medium in strength, improved as it went along and only got a little spicy towards the very end. Still, it was a pleasure to nub to its final conclusion.

I still maintain that it's a pity the Montecristo No.1 doesn't get more attention from cigar enthusiasts. After all, it's only 10 millimetres (or two-fifths of an inch) longer than a Cohiba Siglo III but a lot better value in terms of price in comparison, especially since the changes in the pricing of the luxury Cohiba and Trinidad brands by Habanos S.A. in mid-2022.

Dat tasty Montecristo No. 1 indeed, @JohnS 👍!

As a huge fan of Montecristo No. 1, I too agree that Montecristo No. 1 is such a fine and tasty long CC which makes me want to stockpile of them as much as possible (tastier than No. 4 IMHO). I also feel sad that No. 1 and No. 3 doesn't get much love compared to No. 2 and No. 4 or PE and Edmundo (No. 1 isn't even mentioned or available in Korea yet for unknown reason) 😭, but thank god that I still can get this wonderful Lonsdale CC from our host which at least soothes my mind. Hope my ROP JUL 21 Monte 1 box from our host will be tasty as yours and my previous Monte 1 experience.

For next Kimfessions Series, I'm thinking about puffing either 3yr old Punch 8-9-8 or Punch Mantua as my Bday is on the next January and these Punch ERs would be great for celebrating special moments like my Bday 🙂.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Connoisseur Kim said:

Dat tasty Montecristo No. 1 indeed, @JohnS 👍!

As a huge fan of Montecristo No. 1, I too agree that Montecristo No. 1 is such a fine and tasty long CC which makes me want to stockpile of them as much as possible (tastier than No. 4 IMHO). I also feel sad that No. 1 and No. 3 doesn't get much love compared to No. 2 and No. 4 or PE and Edmundo (No. 1 isn't even mentioned or available in Korea yet for unknown reason) 😭, but thank god that I still can get this wonderful Lonsdale CC from our host which at least soothes my mind. Hope my ROP JUL 21 Monte 1 box from our host will be tasty as yours and my previous Monte 1 experience.

For next Kimfessions Series, I'm thinking about puffing either 3yr old Punch 8-9-8 or Punch Mantua as my Bday is on the next January and these Punch ERs would be great for celebrating special moments like my Bday 🙂.

Indeed, the Montecristo No.1 deserves more love, @Connoisseur Kim! Those cigars you have lined up for your next Kimfessions series sound great also! 👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JohnS said:

Indeed, the Montecristo No.1 deserves more love, @Connoisseur Kim! Those cigars you have lined up for your next Kimfessions series sound great also! 👍

Much agreed @JohnS! Montecristo No. 1 absolutely deserves more love since it's more refined and tastier than No. 4 🙂.

For Punch 8-9-8 and Mantua, I'm really excited to puff either of them as they have many positive reviews 👍. Like Montecristo No. 1, I wish I have many boxes of them too in my CC collection.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 12:03 AM, JohnS said:

So, when was the last time you smoked a Double Coronas and if you have some in your humidor, are you reticent to smoke your stock given the current production hiatus of this vitola?

Absolutely, I’ll still smoke these in the summer when the weather and time align. Especially this one, the Lusi is the perfect cigar when it’s good. Better to burn out than fade away no? 😬

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, karp said:

Absolutely, I’ll still smoke these in the summer when the weather and time align. Especially this one, the Lusi is the perfect cigar when it’s good. Better to burn out than fade away no? 😬

Indeed, well said @karp! 😉

• Thanks 1

269418338_2022-12-1112_25_38.jpg.4a532093cdc2ba93a0f5f28f85536094.jpg

Partagás Maduro No. 3 TUE Mar 2021

The Partagas Maduro No.3 was added along with the Partagas Maduro No.2 in 2018 to form the Linea Maduro with the Partagas Maduro No.1 introduced in 2015. It is a unique Maduro No.3 size with a 50 ring gauge by 145 mm (or 5¾ inches) length. This was my fifth Partagas Maduro No.3 from the box. I smoked my first three within three months of acquiring this box, waited ten months to have my fourth and a further five months since I've re-visited it.

Within the Partagas Linea Maduro (as it's called) I've had Partagas Maduro No.1s the most and in my view, the Partagas Maduro No.1 has been a refined cocoa, chocolate, coffee, anise and sour cherry smoke according to my palate, in general. I wouldn't categorise it as a classic Partagas-flavoured cigar, nor a complex cigar. Perhaps this last point is pertinent as a number of our forum members haven't exactly connected with this series for these reasons. I mean, think about it, when you think of the Partagas marca do you even think about the Linea Maduro?

Personally speaking, I haven't exactly been overly keen to re-visit this line (either the Maduro No.1, No.2 or No.3) because I've felt they've got a way to go until they reach a peak I'm satisfied with. Having said that, I haven't hated these releases either, unlike all my shocking entreactos-sized cigars I've had to put up with in the last few years that have had terrible construction issues (both the El Rey del Mundo Demi Tasse and Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Marie).

This fifth Partagas Maduro No.3 started off okay because instantly I got a hit of delicious cherry. That lasted about five minutes and then the cigar descended into what can only be best termed as an abomination. It's very rare for me to express my views within this blog in this way, however, how else could one describe the disgraceful construction that went into this Partagas Maduro No.3? As can be seen from the attached image above, this cigar started to burn unevenly, tunnel significantly down the middle and frankly, ash everywhere. And as for the flavour, no chance, that was a mess too. Basically it was charred tobacco and spice and generic nothingness. Why did I even bother to smoke this into the last third?

This is now my second cigar in a row from this box that was below average. At least the first three were fine. Okay, they might not have been spectacular but they all showed promise. This cigar today showed me nothing but disdain. Don't expect another Partagas Maduro No.3 review anytime soon!

• Like 4
  • Sad 5

On 12/22/2022 at 11:12 AM, JohnS said:

Partagás Maduro No. 3 TUE Mar 2021

Thanks for the review, John. Unfortunately, my experience with these have been the same as yours. I want to like them, but the 4-5 examples that I have smoked of various vitolas, have mostly ended in disappointment. I have 2, No. 2 remaining. Maybe I’ll revisit a few years down the road. Cheers 🍻

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Goodfortune said:

Thanks for the review, John. Unfortunately, my experience with these have been the same as yours. I want to like them, but the 4-5 examples that I have smoked of various vitolas, have mostly ended in disappointment. I have 2, No. 2 remaining. Maybe I’ll revisit a few years down the road. Cheers 🍻

I guess we've been spoilt for many other Habanos options when it comes to chocolate/cocoa and sweetness in a cigar. I'm with you in re-visiting these down the road too, @Goodfortune!

9 hours ago, LLC said:

@JohnS, it’s been great reading the reviews. Hopefully you have some special cigars lined up for the holidays to enjoy. All the best to you and your family. 

Thank you, @LLC! You've made me reflect on how precious each holiday period every year is with family and friends and so yes, I will look for something special to smoke from my humidor.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Oh, and I look forward to some pics of your special upcoming lunches, drinks and cigars on the forum!

• Like 3