JohnS' Smoking Diary 2022

JohnS

27 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Normally I save my thanks and gratitude for your support of this blog at the end of each year. I thought I would give a peak into what's coming up for the last month of 2022 for your interest:

• 2006 Cohiba Siglo II, Siglo III, Siglo IV and Siglo V
  • Nudies N4 Marevas
  • Desnudos N1 Lanceros and Carlotas, both Rosado (i.e Natural) and Maduro versions
  • Comparison of the new Oliva Serie V Melanio Lancero in Natural and Maduro versions with the Oliva Serie V Lancero
  • Plus more!

This blog will be updated at least twice weekly up until the end of December 2022. Thank you again for your support.

As far as I know, the Oliva Lancero is not available in this hemisphere. Correct me if I am mistaken...

BTW, I still can't play BlackBird. 😔

• Haha 1

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to thank those of you who have in turn thanked me for my previous blogs the past three years and have encouraged me to continue with a new chapter in this series in 2022. A number of you

Cohiba Talismán 2017 - Edición Limitada UAO Ago 2017 Do you remember the hype surrounding the release of the Cohiba Talisman 2017 Limited Edition? It was launched in London in October 2017, it so

San Cristóbal de la Habana El Príncipe (circa 2009) I'd like to thank @NSXCIGAR for making this cigar available for me to smoke via trade. After all, a 2009 San Cristobal de la Habana El Principe

As far as I know, the Oliva Lancero is not available in this hemisphere. Correct me if I am mistaken...
BTW, I still can't play BlackBird. 
I believe you are correct my fellow Vikings fan. I'm a big Melanio fan and haven't seen the Lancero available anywhere yet in the US.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

On 12/8/2022 at 11:42 PM, JohnS said:

Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story

The origin of the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Series, according to Cigar Aficionado, is that in 1983 Carlos Fuente Sr. found old cigar molds in an Ybor City, Florida, warehouse, brought them to Fuente's factory in the Dominican Republic and taught his master roller how to make the intricately shaped smoke. As they say, the rest is history.

The Short story was introduced a few years after the 1983 debut of the Hemingway Series and it has since become the top seller in the line. All Arturo Fuente Hemingway cigars feature West African Cameroon wrapper and Dominican filler and binder.

According to the Arturo Fuente company, the extra workmanship involved in producing these cigars means that they take longer to make and also utilise leaf that is aged longer than normal leaf.

Like the similarly-shaped Cuaba Perfectos, lighting the heavily tapered foot is sufficient to light the cigar. The Short Story is tapered gradually from being a 42 ring gauge at the head to being 49 ring gauge at its widest near the foot. It has a short length at 4 inches or 102 mm. This doesn't necessarily mean its a quick thirty to forty minutes smoke however.

After smoking an Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story three months ago, I must admit I very much looked forward to smoking this first cigar from a 15-count box (with its own humidipak contained within) today. Their mild and sweet, balanced flavours very much resonate with me.

This Short Story opened with a sweet hay and cedar taste and was light and mild. It remained this way through to its widest point past the foot, whereby it increased a tad in intensity.

In the middle of the cigar the smoke picked up some light spice and a touch of leather to compliment the sweet hay. I've said in previous reviews on the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Series that Cameroon wrappers can impart a combination of spice and sweetness, so if this doesn't appeal to you, then I'd say that you won't enjoy any of the Hemingway line.

In my opinion though, this first cigar from this box continues to prove that this is a quality cigar. The Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story easily competes in excellence with short-sized Habanos cigars and this example was again without a doubt constructed better than any Cuaba cigar I've ever had. This cigar had plenty of flavour per puff and took me a grand sixty-five minutes to smoke. Once again, not bad for its size, right?

I have only recently tried the Hemingway Classic as I bought a 5er to sample. The last two had a great deal of orange peel or zest which I found very appealing. These are on my radar to try. Do you feel the two have a similar blend? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KCCubano said:

I have only recently tried the Hemingway Classic as I bought a 5er to sample. The last two had a great deal of orange peel or zest which I found very appealing. These are on my radar to try. Do you feel the two have a similar blend? 

Most definitely, yes I do feel there are strong similarities. When I feel like a longer and milder smoke (think around 100 to 110 minutes) I reach for the AF Hemingway Classic. When I feel like a shorter smoke (maybe around 55 to 60 minutes) and a touch more spice, I go for the AF Hemingway Short Story. I'm partly grateful for the changes forced upon us mid-2022 with the production downturn and price rises by Habanos S.A. because without them, I probably would not have sort out quality Non-Cuban options to supplement my Habanos cigar smoking.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Most definitely, yes I do feel there are strong similarities. When I feel like a longer and milder smoke (think around 100 to 110 minutes) I reach for the AF Hemingway Classic. When I feel like a shorter smoke (maybe around 55 to 60 minutes) and a touch more spice, I go for the AF Hemingway Short Story. I'm partly grateful for the changes forced upon us mid-2022 with the production downturn and price rises by Habanos S.A. because without them, I probably would not have sort out quality Non-Cuban options to supplement my Habanos cigar smoking.

Never smoked a bunch of nc's either. I would pick up a few here and there from local shops. Have u tried Casdagli? They are on the high dollar side but the few I have sampled have been very good. I just received 36 ct box of Oliva V Lancero. They were less than $5 USD a stick. Really like these and a tremendous value imo. My next AF purchase will be Short Story. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KCCubano said:

Never smoked a bunch of nc's either. I would pick up a few here and there from local shops. Have u tried Casdagli? They are on the high dollar side but the few I have sampled have been very good. I just received 36 ct box of Oliva V Lancero. They were less than $5 USD a stick. Really like these and a tremendous value imo. My next AF purchase will be Short Story. 

The Oliva Serie V Lancero has quickly become a 'forum favourite' this year, it seems to me. I concur, I have enjoyed smoking it, possibly even more than the new Oliva Melanio Lancero standard and maduro versions (I will publish all three reviews on this blog in the coming week).

Thank you for the recommendation of the Casdagli. I haven't tried them yet but I will seek them out. I hope the AF Hemingway Short Story works out as a solid acquisition for you, @KCCubano.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JohnS said:

I'm partly grateful for the changes forced upon us mid-2022 with the production downturn and price rises by Habanos S.A. because without them, I probably would not have sort out quality Non-Cuban options to supplement my Habanos cigar smoking.

I share your sentiment . Looking forward to trying out some custom rolls in Puerto Plata come Jan. 

• Like 1