JohnS' Smoking Diary 2022

JohnS

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to thank those of you who have in turn thanked me for my previous blogs the past three years and have encouraged me to continue with a new chapter in this series in 2022. A number of you

Cohiba Talismán 2017 - Edición Limitada UAO Ago 2017 Do you remember the hype surrounding the release of the Cohiba Talisman 2017 Limited Edition? It was launched in London in October 2017, it so

San Cristóbal de la Habana El Príncipe (circa 2009) I'd like to thank @NSXCIGAR for making this cigar available for me to smoke via trade. After all, a 2009 San Cristobal de la Habana El Principe

On 11/16/2022 at 6:49 AM, JohnS said:

Padron 4000 Maduro

The Padron Maduro 4000 is a large Double Robusto-sized cigar with a 54 ring gauge x 164 mm (or 6½ inches) length. It's the type of cigar that you need a good hour-and-a-half to two hours to appreciate. Whilst not as well known as the premium 1926 and 1964 series from Padron, the 'Thousands' line (i.e. 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000) is part of the original Padron Series founded in 1964, after founder Jose Padron was forced to leave his family plantation in Cuba in 1961, and are fairly popular with Padron smokers because they offer a consistent smoke and a more competitive price.

With the recent high condensation and humidity in my home town of Sydney, Australia of late, I was reticent to smoke anything other than a Non-Cuban cigar today. The reason for this is because I feel that Habanos cigars really need less ambient humidity to appreciate their flavours. I've had friends, who I consider experienced cigar enthusiasts of many years, tell me that Habanos cigars always seem to smoke better outside of Cuba (where ambient humidity is obviously higher) and I believe this adage to be generally true.

I last smoked a Padron 4000 around four months ago and found it to be strong, full-bodied cigar. This was no different. The initial third was a mix of espresso coffee and strong malt stout, the middle third had a touch of spice and oak wood 'join the mix' and the last third was a little 'earthy'. Overall, this was a solid cigar to smoke over two hours.

I mentioned in my last review that if I were to compare this cigar to a Habanos marca I would choose the Ramon Allones brand simply because this cigar reminded me of some of the stronger Ramon Allones Specially Selected Robustos I've smoked in the past, only the Padron 4000 obviously lacked the 'stewed fruit' profile of the Ramon Allones. Still, I can understand why this cigar has its fans. Simply put, it delivers.

They are excellent if you put 5+ yrs on them. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, JohnS said:

Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No.4 ABO Ago 2018

If you've ever wondered why I seem to smoke a Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No.4 immediately after a Bolivar Petit Coronas in this Cigar Review Series, the answer is simple: These two cigars are stored near each other in my humidor and I tend to reach for both when I open this humidor. Like the Bolivar Petit Coronas I smoked before this RyJ Exhibicion No.4, I believe this is just my second sample of this cigar smoked this year in 2022.

What I typically look for in a quality Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No.4 is a tart 'fruitiness' that is a defined characteristic of this marca. The key to the 'fruity' flavours, I believe, is to ensure one gets a box of these with rosado-hued wrappers. It makes all the world of difference to the a RyJ Ex4 cigar, in my opinion.

This RyJ Ex4 had a little sour cherry throughout it with some cocoa and anise but it was the oat biscuit that really stood out amongst the flavours. I got an undesirable vegetal or herbal flavour that unbalanced the cigar one of the last times I smoked this cigar, but thankfully there was no evidence of that here today.

I could sense this Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No.4 was going to give me a 'nicotine kick' in the last third; something I rarely encounter, but it didn't quite eventuate. Still, the cigar was a bit 'heavy' to smoke towards the end. Otherwise, this RyJ Exhibicion No.4 was quite good.

I have an ABO OCT 18 box I haven’t opened yet but I’ve had a few from a TES MAR 17 box that have all been very good. In the last few years I’ve really come to enjoy the RyJ Exhibicion No. 4 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LLC said:

I have an ABO OCT 18 box I haven’t opened yet but I’ve had a few from a TES MAR 17 box that have all been very good. In the last few years I’ve really come to enjoy the RyJ Exhibicion No. 4 👍

Definitely, I know what you mean, After all, it only seems like yesterday that POU 13 RyJ Exhibicion No.4s were the 'hottest' habanos cigar in the mid-2010s. Every time they came up on 24:24 listings they'd sell out quicker than the Quai d'Orsay Nos. 50 and 54 in 2018/19 even.

• Like 1