JohnS' Smoking Diary 2022

JohnS

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to thank those of you who have in turn thanked me for my previous blogs the past three years and have encouraged me to continue with a new chapter in this series in 2022. A number of you

Cohiba Talismán 2017 - Edición Limitada UAO Ago 2017 Do you remember the hype surrounding the release of the Cohiba Talisman 2017 Limited Edition? It was launched in London in October 2017, it so

San Cristóbal de la Habana El Príncipe (circa 2009) I'd like to thank @NSXCIGAR for making this cigar available for me to smoke via trade. After all, a 2009 San Cristobal de la Habana El Principe

21 hours ago, JohnS said:

Montecristo No.4 GEL Feb 2022

Last year in 2021, in a review of the Montecristo No.4, I had opined that the Bolivar Petit Coronas, Cohiba Siglo II, Montecristo No.4, Por Larranaga Petit Coronas and Rafael Gonzalez Petit Coronas are the only premium marevas left in regular production. That's five in total. Yes...five! If we add the Sancho Panza Non Plus, the cigar that has somehow reappeared in 2022 after being discontinued in 2019, well...maybe that makes six. I did say, "maybe!"

One could argue a case of the inclusion of the Bolivar Tubos No.2 and maybe even the Montecristo Petit Tubos in the 'upper-tier' classification but I would argue that the Bolivar Tubos No.2 makes a rare appearance on our forum and the Montecristo Petit Tubos invariably never does. In fact, what is a Montecristo Petit Tubos, is it a Montecristo No.4 in a tube? It probably isn't but I raise the question to highlight why that particular cigar is around nowadays and not the Partagas Petit Coronas or Ramon Allones Petit Coronas, perhaps. How about a re-release of the Diplomaticos No.4 or even the H.Upmann Petit Coronas?

So consider this, of the Bolivar Petit Coronas, Cohiba Siglo II, Montecristo No.4, Por Larranaga Petit Coronas and Rafael Gonzalez Petit Coronas what would you smoke the most of? One thing I know, and that is, there's one cigar in that list that may possibly out-sell the others combined on an annual basis, worldwide. However, do you reach for a Montecristo No.4 as often as the rest of the world does and why does it sell so well?

I would make a case that, whilst they vary in quality, and more so than other Habanos cigars, they offer a generic cocoa, milk coffee, perhaps nut, leather and/or citrus twang flavour profile which is very approachable. Perhaps, this is why they sell so well; Monte 4 are more approachable than other cigars in its vitola group.

This Monte 4 was the first of a recent quarter pack acquisition of a GEL Feb 2022 box code and honestly it was generic, but still...it satisfied me fine over 70 minutes. Perhaps that 'other-worldly' Monte 4 awaits the next time I smoke from this box code?

I enjoy and smoke the Bolivar Petit Coronas, Cohiba Siglo II, Por Larranaga Petit Coronas and Rafael Gonzalez Petit Coronas semi-regularly but the Montecristo No.4 is always in my humidor. And I mean...always!

Completely agree with you, always in my humidors. Every time it comes up on 24:24 my finger is poised to get another box. It was my entry to Cuban cigars so will always have that special place in my heart.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JohnS said:

Arturo Fuente Hemingway Classic

The Arturo Fuente Hemingway Classic is a Perfecto measuring ¾ of an inch in diameter (i.e. 48 ring guage) and 7 inches (or 178 mm) in length. It's shaped more like a Habanos Perfecto such as a Salomones than a Taco-type cigar and thus, the AF Hemingway Classic is only slightly tapered at the head but it is predominantly tapered at the foot. There is a common urban-like adage that some have advised to snip the foot to open up the cigar and make it easier to light. Trust me, this is unnecessary.

According to Arturo Fuente, the Hemingway natural line employs a combination of patiently aged Dominican filler and binder encased in a select African Cameroon wrapper. The line is said to be medium-mild to medium in body.

The cold draw had notes of hay. As for flavour, I was immediately taken in by the sweet hay, cedar and creamy texture. If I'd describe the sweetness I would categorise it as having aspects of hazelnut and vanilla on the edges, which peaked just past the first third to the middle of the cigar. The cigar was mainly mild until the beginning of the last third whereby it ramped up in intensity to be medium-bodied; less sweet and more cedar and leather in profile.

Construction-wise, Arturo Fuente cigars are well-known for their consistency and this was no different. The burn was even throughout with no need for any touch-ups, the draw was smooth, the ash held well and the smoke output was above average.

I finished the cigar after 1 hour and fifty minutes and was highly impressed. If I were to compare it to a Habanos cigar then the H.Upmann Connossieur series immediately comes to mind. I need to add a caveat here in saying that this Arturo Fuente Hemingway Classic was acquired with a little age on it as there was no pepper or spice in the smoke, it was one-dimensional in the way the flavours had melded together and it was mild-bodied. Despite this, I really admired this cigar for how well it smoked; both flavour-wise and construction-wise.

It goes without saying that I intend to acquire some more cigars within this line in the future. I suppose this is a testament to how it connected with my palatial preferences and how it exceeded my expectations for frankly how good a cigar it was.  

Love the Hemingway Series from AF. Your tasting notes are spot on from my perspective. I’m not much for Dominican cigars in general, but with a Cameroon wrapper it elevates the Dominican leaf.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/30/2022 at 10:12 AM, JohnS said:

Oliva Serie V 135th Anniversary Limitada

The Oliva Serie V line has been around since 2007 and, according to Halfwheel, now encompasses around forty different cigars and three different line extensions—Oliva V Melanio, Oliva Serie V Melanio Maduro and Serie V Maduro Especial, as well as other cigars created for special events. A cigar line with this many releases and extensions suggests one thing...it's been popular with consumers and it's a good cigar.

This recent release, the Serie V 135th Anniversary Edición Limitada, is a 54 ring gauge x 140 mm (or 5½ inches) in length perfecto which tapers only at the foot for about the length of the first third of the cigar. After that, it smokes pretty much like a larger ring-gauged parejo. This cigar commemorates the 135th anniversary of the company’s history; or more accurately, the time from 1886 when Melanio Oliva first grew tobacco in Cuba’s Pinar del Río, which is considered to be the start of Oliva as a tobacco family. Oliva didn't actually get incorporated as a company until 1995.

Like other Serie V line cigars, the 135th Anniversary Edición Limitada utilises an Ecuadorian wrapper, a Nicaraguan binder, and filler tobacco from Nicaragua. It has the same blend therefore as normal Serie V cigars but it smokes very differently. I will explain further below.

Because the ring gauge is more narrow in the first third, the flavour was more concentrated around the tip of my tongue when I first lit this up. It was also more subtle and wispy. I picked up coffee, earth, leather, baking spice and floral notes at a mild-medium strength.

When the cigar went into the middle third and the ring gauge was larger, the cigar transitioned into a fuller-bodied smoke with the flavour encompassing my whole palate, as larger ring-gauged cigars often do. I got similar flavours in the middle third but there was more dark chocolate, toasted caramel and wood in the blend at this point.

The final third was mainly, dark chocolate, coffee, earth, leather and especially wood.  

I think Oliva have done a very clever thing here with the release of this cigar. Non-Cuban cigars are often criticised for lacking transitions through the thirds or being one-dimensional, hence, with Oliva designing the 135th Anniversary Edición Limitada like this they've successfully made a more complex cigar but using the same blend as the usual Serie V line.

It goes without saying that I have no doubt that if you enjoy Oliva cigars you will definitely enjoy this release. I know I did!

I bought 2 of these think it was special anniv melanio which is one of my fav NCs. If I had my glasses and saw it was only serie V would not have bought it since not a fan. If I had to bet no way I say same blend as the V. Kicking myself did not buy a few more

• Thanks 1

On 7/30/2022 at 11:39 PM, cgoodrich said:

Love the Hemingway Series from AF. Your tasting notes are spot on from my perspective. I’m not much for Dominican cigars in general, but with a Cameroon wrapper it elevates the Dominican leaf.

I was really impressed by this cigar. I intend to get some other vitolas within this line to sample.

8 hours ago, Boxer31 said:

I bought 2 of these think it was special anniv melanio which is one of my fav NCs. If I had my glasses and saw it was only serie V would not have bought it since not a fan. If I had to bet no way I say same blend as the V. Kicking myself did not buy a few more

That's understandable as there's a notable difference between the Melanio and standard Serie V lines. However, this 135th Anniversary Limited Edition was a better cigar than the Oliva Serie V Lancero that I sampled last month, and I didn't mind that Lancero at all!

On 6/20/2022 at 12:43 PM, JohnS said:

Upon lighting, I noted how it reminded me of a Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro in its chocolate, almond nuts and dates. It even had some baking spice in the first third and was at a medium-mild strength. Towards the middle third the cigar built in intensity, being joined by some earthy and leathery flavours and becoming more medium-full in strength. The last third I would recommend only to seasoned cigar smokers as those earth and leather flavours completely dominated and the cigar became quite full in its strength.

In comparison to a Nudies N1 Lancero, I would opine that the Olive Serie V Lancero is not as mild nor as nuanced in its flavours. Nevertheless, I wouldn't hesitate to acquire more of these and enjoy them in the future, much the same as I did today.

Don't know how I've missed this for so long, as I was looking forward to your review. 

It's interesting isn't it, with the moving feast of body and strength in both the CC and NC worlds comparatively. It's quite hard to keep tabs on where the needle point is, and how they relate.   I've been enjoying the Warped Maestro del Tiempo Lonsdale of late, and whilst I can see how NC smokers welcome them as flavourful, cool smoking cigars, however the final 3rd, can have an amped up kick, which compares to a Party 898 and beyond.   

With everything thats going on with CC prices, I'm actually enjoying seeing what else is out there, however even with lots more NC lines dropping their ligero, it still comes as a bit of a shock, when things get dark and nic heavy in the final 3rd. 

The Oliva Serie V Lancero sounds interesting,  I was hoping it has a lot more in common with the Monte Especial, but a Don Alejandro similarity is no bad thing at all. 

Keep up the good work John, your review pages are really enjoyable, and a brilliant resource for cigars smokers.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...