JohnS' Smoking Diary 2022

JohnS

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to thank those of you who have in turn thanked me for my previous blogs the past three years and have encouraged me to continue with a new chapter in this series in 2022. A number of you

Cohiba Talismán 2017 - Edición Limitada UAO Ago 2017 Do you remember the hype surrounding the release of the Cohiba Talisman 2017 Limited Edition? It was launched in London in October 2017, it so

San Cristóbal de la Habana El Príncipe (circa 2009) I'd like to thank @NSXCIGAR for making this cigar available for me to smoke via trade. After all, a 2009 San Cristobal de la Habana El Principe

14 hours ago, JohnS said:

Montecristo No.1 GEL Nov 2020

I've written previously on the Montecristo marca that if I had to guess what sells, in terms of annual volume, in the original Montecristo line when it was first released in 1935, I'd say the No.4 followed by the No.2 would sell in the greatest numbers. The Montecristo No.5 would be next followed by a distance by the No.1 and No.3. The reason the last two would be less in demand, in my view, would be due to their vitola dimensions rather than how good a cigar they are. Lonsdales and coronas respectively don't currently sell in great numbers, hence their recent mass deletions in the last 15 to 20 years. I find it a great shame how 'under-the-radar' the Montecristo No.1 (and No.3) is, but I'd say that would be less so amongst enthusiasts on our forum.

Recent stocks of 2019/20 Montecristo No.1 have been smoking very well, as their sales on 24:24 listings in that time would attest to. I was low on Montecristo No.1 stock in my humidor so I acquired this GEL Nov 2020 quarter pack in the middle of 2021. I'm glad I did too, after all, this is only the second Montecristo No.1 I've smoked in the last eighteen months!

This Montecristo No.1 was not as complex in its flavours as my last Monte 1 smoked eight months ago. Nevertheless, despite it being muted in milk coffee and cocoa/chocolate, it did have some citrus twang, leather, some nuttiness and a slight creamy texture on the palate. It was around mild-medium in strength and paradoxically, it actually improved as it went along. I wouldn't hesitate to say that this Monte 1, after 100 minutes of smoking time, was a pleasure to nub by its end.

I still say that it's a pity the Montecristo No.1 doesn't get more attention from cigar enthusiasts. After all, it's only 10 millimetres (or two-fifths of an inch) longer than a Cohiba Siglo III but a lot better value in terms of price in comparison.

Glad to see one of my fav CCs on your review @JohnS! I also have a Monte 1 box from our host with different box code (ROP JUL 21) and hope that it'll be tasty as the one from Kenfession's comp sampler 😃.

I feel sad that Monte 1 is one of the completely forgotten CCs in Korea too (haven't seen any local B&Ms selling Monte 1) 😭.

BTW, what's the best cigar of RyJ Linea de Oro? I heard Nobles is quite popular RyJ Linea de Oro cigar among CC enthusiasts.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Connoisseur Kim said:

Glad to see one of my fav CCs on your review @JohnS! I also have a Monte 1 box from our host with different box code (ROP JUL 21) and hope that it'll be tasty as the one from Kenfession's comp sampler 😃.

I feel sad that Monte 1 is one of the completely forgotten CCs in Korea too (haven't seen any local B&Ms selling Monte 1) 😭.

BTW, what's the best cigar of RyJ Linea de Oro? I heard Nobles is quite popular RyJ Linea de Oro cigar among CC enthusiasts.

Currently, Habanos S.A is finding it difficult producing Montecristo No.4s in significant numbers, let alone Montecristo No.1s!

I don't feel I can give a definitive answer (as to what is the best cigar) on the RyJ Linea de Oro cigars right now. After all, I've not had a Dianas yet and I haven't had enough of the the Hidalgos and Nobles. I too, have heard that the Nobles has received good support amongst enthusiasts.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JohnS said:

After all, it's only 10 millimetres (or two-fifths of an inch) longer than a Cohiba Siglo III but a lot better value in terms of price in comparison

Love my lll's but damn if those 1's aren't kicking it right now. Really have to agree with your statement @JohnS

Still grabbing Monte 1's when I can. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JohnS said:

Currently, Habanos S.A is finding it difficult producing Montecristo No.4s in significant numbers, let alone Montecristo No.1s!

I don't feel I can give a definitive answer (as to what is the best cigar) on the RyJ Linea de Oro cigars right now. After all, I've not had a Dianas yet and I haven't had enough of the the Hidalgos and Nobles. I too, have heard that the Nobles has received good support amongst enthusiasts.

Much agreed @JohnS! I too noticed Montecristo No. 1s are more common on 2424 sales than pre COVID-19 years. I hope that Montecristo No. 1 production will keep going higher than that of Montecristo No. 4 😄.

Looks like RyJ Linea de Oro cigars need more time to figure what's the best cigar of RyJ Linea de Oro. I wish I have a sampler of RyJ Linea de Oro, since it's obviously different from other RyJ cigars just like Monte Linea 1935 is Monte on steroids· 😃.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 6:10 PM, JohnS said:

La Flor de Cano Grandiosos 2013 - Edición Regional Asia Pacifico ROL Oct 2013

This LFdC Grandiosos smoked today was eight-and-a-half years of age and it smoked like one of the most complex examples of a Habanos cigar I've encountered yet! It started off in the first third as a combination of shortbread, strawberries, cream, progressed in the middle third to a flavour profile of hay, almond nut and floral notes and it was joined in the last third by some wonderful, mild cinnamon spice.

This La Flor de Cano Grandiosos was so full of flavour, yet so easy to smoke. I know that I only have two left from my original 10-count box, but I guess I will enjoy them sooner rather than later as I don't envisage them lasting beyond the ten year mark!

Great write up, thanks John. I feel like I need to find myself one of these see if possible to obtain these complex notes. Strawberry I've only hit on one other stick which was a Diplo Nortentos.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chucko8 said:

Great write up, thanks John. I feel like I need to find myself one of these see if possible to obtain these complex notes. Strawberry I've only hit on one other stick which was a Diplo Nortentos.

I've found them more complex if they've had some spice element to them. Otherwise, I've still enjoyed them with a simpler, straight strawberry, hay and cream texture blend.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 3:40 PM, JohnS said:

Saint Luis Rey Double Coronas AEP Mar 2007

This is another cigar which I have told myself that I'd never get the opportunity to smoke since its sad deletion in 2014, but thanks to the warm generosity of @Trevor2118, I can now add this vitola to my list of Saint Luis Rey marca cigars I've smoked over the years. I think of the Saint Luis Rey vitolas deleted since 2000, I'm yet to smoke the Petit Coronas and Coronas (funnily enough).

Before I discuss in further detail the minutiae of this cigar-smoking experience, a quick background of the Saint Luis Rey marca is needed. At the moment the only vitola left in this marca is the Regios, a Hermosos No.4 cigar (48 ring gauge x 127 mm or 5 inches in length). It is very different to the Double Coronas and Serie A, which were discontinued in 2013 and 2014 respectively.

Saint Luis Rey is known as a marca which exudes complexity when it's 'on song'. Perhaps the Regios does less so, but aged Saint Luis Rey is quite a thing to behold. I've found them to go bland if left too long after their peak, but in their peak period I feel that they are potentially like no other Habanos cigar when it comes to the variety of flavours they produce and the changes they can exhibit through the thirds. I also have surmised that this 'complexity' has been both a strength and a weakness; a strength in the fact that unless they age too long they aren't one-dimensional and a weakness in that the multitude of flavours makes it a marca which is rarely a 'go-to' rotational choice for cigar enthusiasts and hence the niche market over the years. Perhaps the greatest market for Saint Luis Rey since its inception in the 1940s has been the United Kingdom.

Onto this Double Coronas! It's vitola dimensions at 49 ring gauge x 194 mm in length (or 7⅝ inches). In regular production, there are four of these in current regular production. These are (in alphabetical order); the Hoyo de Monterrey Double Coronas, Partagas Lusitanias, Punch Double Coronas and Ramon Allones Gigantes. Apart from the Ramon Allones Gigantes, these are also available in 50 cabs, apart from the Punch Double Coronas which no longer is packaged in 50 cabs since 2017. Interestingly, the two Double Coronas discontinued of recent times; the Saint Luis Rey Double Coronas and Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro, were both released post-Revolution (that is, after 1962). The four remaining Double Coronas are pre-Revolution cigars. Perhaps their long history is currently keeping them in production? Who knows?

I expected upon lighting that this cigar would be quite mild, since it was 15 years old, but it was comfortably medium-mild and flavoursome. The initial third saw a strong hit of lemon citrus, honey, hay, light cocoa and apricot or peach stonefruit flavours. At the beginning of the second third the light cocoa became more dominant. This combined flavour continued into the last third when it unsurprisingly increased in intensity and stronger notes of cocoa and coffee prevailed. What a cigar and wow, what a ride!

Thanks again @Trevor2118 for allowing me to sample this cigar and share my thoughts on it for the benefit of our members.

Great review. I have a 2009 cab that I have barely made a dent in. They are formidable and take a long time to smoke which I find hard to devote these days. You've inspired me to renew my efforts with this coming nice weather here for our summer in the States.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Frinkiac7 said:

Great review. I have a 2009 cab that I have barely made a dent in. They are formidable and take a long time to smoke which I find hard to devote these days. You've inspired me to renew my efforts with this coming nice weather here for our summer in the States.

That's wonderful to hear. I'm gladdened to hear of the inspiration for smoking this sadly-deleted Double Coronas!

• Like 1