JohnS' Smoking Diary 2022

JohnS

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would like to thank those of you who have in turn thanked me for my previous blogs the past three years and have encouraged me to continue with a new chapter in this series in 2022. A number of you

Cohiba Talismán 2017 - Edición Limitada UAO Ago 2017 Do you remember the hype surrounding the release of the Cohiba Talisman 2017 Limited Edition? It was launched in London in October 2017, it so

San Cristóbal de la Habana El Príncipe (circa 2009) I'd like to thank @NSXCIGAR for making this cigar available for me to smoke via trade. After all, a 2009 San Cristobal de la Habana El Principe

18 hours ago, JohnS said:

Partagás Serie D No.4 ROP Feb 2020

This is the second Partagas Serie D No.4 from a 10-count box I acquired four months ago. The Partagas Serie D No.4 is considered the number one selling Habanos cigar in the world today, overtaking the Montecristo No.4. It's certainly come a long way since, because of its size (50 ring gauge x 124 mm or 4.9 inches), it sold only 5000 boxes annually as recently as the mid-1980s.

In general, I prefer Partagas on the mild side and well-rested, unless it's a Lusitanias because these Double Coronas are usually big on sourdough, light on spice or pepper and medium-mild or less in strength, even when young.Therefore, I haven't had many Partagas Serie D No.4s in the last few years. However, this is my second Party D4 in just over a month from this box, and at just over two years of age, this was again obviously outstanding and similar to a young Lusitanias; this was big on sourdough, coffee and leather flavours, had no spice or pepper whatsoever and was medium in strength.

I wrote in my last review that the first cigar from this box was probably one of the best Partagas Serie D No.4 I've ever had and I could easily smoke them more regularly when they are like this. I'd add even further that this second one confirms that this cigar is currently one of the best or 'hottest' cigars in my humidor right now. I don't think it should surprise you if I reach for a third one soon!

I feel glad that these recent D4 keep delivering Partagas flavour bomb. Although my Clearance D4 box's wrapper shade is lighter, I'm sure they'll be tasty as your 10ct D4s 😃😄

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Connoisseur Kim said:

I feel glad that these recent D4 keep delivering Partagas flavour bomb. Although my Clearance D4 box's wrapper shade is lighter, I'm sure they'll be tasty as your 10ct D4s 😃😄

Haha...I certainly hope so, Kim! 😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 99call said:

Strange isn't it.  If someone asked me "is the Monte 2 the best cigar in the world?"  I would scoff and say......."Weeeeelll thats a difficult one, not in my book". however they are a strange, strange beast.  In my mental black book of cigar memories, I would have to say the Monty 2 was responsible for a handful of jaw droppingly excellent cigars.   I don't necessarily even like the vitola either, but the sheer weight of body, and class elevates them. 

It's a strange calculation to make but I would average you'd probably have to smoke 3 boxes of 25 to experience one of those 100 pointers, Thats not to say the rest of the cigars are not good, but I can't think of any other cigar that when you have a truly excellent one,  it sort of discombobulates your brain......you think. "can I really afford the large ratio of misses to hits...........yes.....yes I believe I can!"

A true enigma

Well said! 👍

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...