500 dollar cigar?!

That is a steep price surely, but I’ve heard that this is a good cigar. Tobacco came form a single Crop in 2002 and aged 10 years. Can’t justify the price though. 

59 minutes ago, Joeyjojo said:

I know Davidoff are well known for being over priced, but this is just Gurkha levels of stupid surely?

Another Veblen good to go with your Louis Vuitton face mask, just not at the same time!

18 minutes ago, Nino said:

Quote : "It's $500 so it better be a damm good cigar" ... says it all.

Ignorance with a thick wallet. Or freeloading "influencers".

Only watched 1 minute to get the name of the cigar. But in general Davidoff is a quality brand with excelent cigars albeit too pricey.
I'd much rather buy 2 RASS boxes for that coin...

If you'd watched more than a minute you'd see that they were also of the opinion that it is ridiculously priced and that there are much better things to spend $500 on.

I only watched about 15 minutes but I thought they were actually quite entertaining and easy to watch, the chap on the left especially making some great points.

• Like 1

For as ridiculous as this is, unfortunately there is a growing market of people who are desperate to find new things to throw away their money on... I would not be surprised to see a $1000 cigar in the very near future. Or $10000 for that matter.

• Confused 1

One of my local shops, F.K. Kirsten (mostly a notable pipe shop) sells these.  Last time in, I bothered the owner about whether anyone buys them or if it's just there to ogle.  He goes on to tell me that a client in Medina (across the water from Seattle, where Bill Gates' house is), buys a box about every two weeks.  Holy shit.

The steepest stick I have is a 2015 Behike bought on BR for ~$259.42 per stick...and I don't really like them.  Can't imagine the position you'd need to be in to buy these Davidoff's on the regular.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Enduin said:

For as ridiculous as this is, unfortunately there is a growing market of people who are desperate to find new things to throw away their money on... I would not be surprised to see a $1000 cigar in the very near future. Or $10000 for that matter.

$1,000,000 cigar...

https://windycitycigars.com/cigar/1-million-dollar-cigar-gurkha-royal-courtesan

It’d better be superior to the Davidoff Royal Robustos, which I tossed on both occasions I had them. It’s just silly money for any single cigar to be over $30-40 in my opinion (maybe I’m just too poor 🤷🏻‍♂️). 
Behike, I can maybe understand because the ones I’ve had were extremely good and unique in smoking experience. 

I’ll gladly forego the $500 Davidoff and have a box of Party E2 with money to spare, please and thank you. 

4 hours ago, Nino said:

Quote : "It's $500 so it better be a damm good cigar" ... says it all.

Ignorance with a thick wallet. Or freeloading "influencers".

Only watched 1 minute to get the name of the cigar. But in general Davidoff is a quality brand with excelent cigars albeit too pricey.
I'd much rather buy 2 RASS boxes for that coin...

Did they pay for the cigars?  I doubt it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Too long of a video to care.

plus 1. 

2 hours ago, Nino said:

Same here ... 🙂

no idea if they did but that is the way of the world. you want something reviewed, you need to supply it to the reviewers. 

i know from a wine and spirit perspective, if that doesn't happen, almost every reviewer would be broke in a month. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

no idea if they did but that is the way of the world. you want something reviewed, you need to supply it to the reviewers. 

i know from a wine and spirit perspective, if that doesn't happen, almost every reviewer would be broke in a month. 

Didn't Robert Parker refuse free wine when he started off?

1 minute ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Didn't Robert Parker refuse free wine when he started off?

parker did, but he had a fair whack of funds behind him and wine was so so so much cheaper back then. but that said, whenever he travelled anywhere, the wineries would show him their wines. all the Bordeaux reports etc, plus Californian and so on. any touring winemaker would show their wines. he saw an enormous amount of good wine for zip. but he did also buy a lot. but anyone who writes for a site or paper or mag etc, can't afford to do it. 

12 hours ago, DeskSmkr said:

I’d sell a $500 cigar, I’d sell a $1,000,000 cigar - if buyers and sellers are happy.

Yes, value for money, for many others, is elsewhere.
Exclusivity has a price.
I want to try this cigar.

Exclusivity doesn't work when everybody wants it and too many can afford it. Also, this is fake exclusivity, pretty much everyone here COULD afford to buy a $500 cigar since we routinely spend that (and more) on boxes of cigars. Hopefully most of us will choose not to.

This is the equivalent of taking a fast food restaurant, change the sign, raise the prices to $500 a meal and call it exclusive. On the other hand, a legitimately special cigar, say made from a single farm tobacco, rolled just by one famous master roller, sold in a fancy humidor with precious metals and stones for $20000 that would be real exclusivity.