Lower end marcas

I don't recall seeing these marcas being mentioned here much:  Jose L. Piedra, Quintero Y Hermano, and Rafael Gonzalez.

Are they worth a shot?

In the bourbon world, I've had $60 bottles which were just as good (if not better) than those that sell for $400+ on the secondary market.  Is that the case here, or not even close?

I'd be happy to hear thoughts and opinions from those of you who have experience with these labels. 

• Like 4

Out of those marca's IMO Rafael Gonzalez (Perlas and Petite Coronas) and Quintero Y Hermano (Favoritos) are worth it IMO. JPL never did it for me sorry. 

These do just fine when you pour your great $40ish dollar per bottle bourbon. Personally I'm with you on bourbon, Woodford for years now has hit the spot and not my wallet. Buy the big bottle at Costco and it lasts me a few months. Trying to find the rarest bottle of bookers for tons of money is a losers game for what?

@JoshD Great strategy no need to chase things that don't need to be chased and burn a big whole in your pocket! 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, jhalischuk said:

RG perlas are a great option for a short smoke. The panetelas extra are short filler and not the same quality. 

Thanks all for the education.  To say my knowledge of CC is limited would be an understatement.  Around here, even NC's have a limited following, CC are non-existent.  Why I mentioned RG is exactly this above, the panetela extra was available for what seems like too good of a price.  

55 minutes ago, JoshD said:

Thanks all for the education.  To say my knowledge of CC is limited would be an understatement.  Around here, even NC's have a limited following, CC are non-existent.  Why I mentioned RG is exactly this above, the panetela extra was available for what seems like too good of a price.  

https://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/

This is a great reference. Anything that's short filler, machine rolled, or now hand rolled but previouly machine rolled isn't as good imo. 

• Like 2

I really like the RG Petit Corona and the JLP petit cazadores. Have smoked many great examples of both. Not so much luck with quintero but those have plenty of fans here particularly for yardgars and boatgars. 

11 minutes ago, jhalischuk said:

https://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/

This is a great reference. Anything that's short filler, machine rolled, or now hand rolled but previouly machine rolled isn't as good imo. 

There a handful of exceptions to that rule which is generally correct.

Por Larranaga Montecarlos being one I think.

• Like 4

Rafael G petit coronas are very consistent and tend to be more obscure than your Monte, PL, Bolivar, RyJ and other PC's. But they are made with premium whole leaves and are a very good cigar. Usually the best PC value wise for the $$ also. The discontinued corona extra was also a good cigar. In fact the late Avo Uvezian preferred Rafael Gonzalez as one of his favorite Cuban marques. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bijan said:

There a handful of exceptions to that rule which is generally correct.

Por Larranaga Montecarlos being one I think.

PLMCs since 2017 have been great. Probably helps they’re rolled at La Corona.

Outside of the Lonsdales, RG have been plagued with construction issues.  It's been so long since I have had a Quintero; not sure what they taste like.  If you want a budget Habanos; anything machine made is what I'd go for.  You could smoke less often and go for a better cigar?

1 minute ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Outside of the Lonsdales, RG have been plagued with construction issues. 

I don't know the history but currently RGPC and Perlas are some of the more consistent CCs in terms of construction and blend. RGPE not so much.

1 minute ago, Bijan said:

I don't know the history but currently RGPC and Perlas are some of the more consistent CCs in terms of construction and blend. RGPE not so much.

I put RG and SP as two generally poorly constructed Marcas outside a couple vitolas each.  When was the last flawless Sancho Sancho you smoked?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I put RG and SP as two generally poorly constructed Marcas outside a couple vitolas each.  When was the last flawless Sancho Sancho you smoked?

I've had a handful of sanchos mostly non plus mostly unsmokeable! :rotfl:

I've had many more RGs. Only bad ones ever in terms of construction were the RGPE.

Otherwise at present I'd compare it favourably vs Monte or Cohiba in the same sizes. At least in terms of construction. The taste is not for everyone, though it is not as floral as in the past now. More honey and earth.

Only low end marca i consider in the habanos line are guantanamera. The short filler range suit a specific purpose, and to me its the everyday/throw away cigar. If you smoke one cigar a week these are not worth the space in your humidor, you're better off smoking decent stuff. If you smoke one or two a day, these are worth having. If you have moocher mates these are worth having. if you get interrupted often and dont want to feel bad about a half smoked cigar in your ashtray, these are worth having.

The JLP, they are super cheap, and for what they are i dont mind them. You're not going to have a cohiba level experience by any means, but if you're an every day smoker, worth having them around. Quintero are the same, a bit more upper end than JLP but the price also reflects that. Other brands are also in this same realm such as Fonseca and LFDC. RG i consider a premium brand with a small following, i liek all of their offerings inclduing the panatellas extra. 

If you were going to dip your toe into the short filler range, id give the following a shot in order of price, low to high.

JLP Petite Caballeros

Quintero Brevas

Quintero Favoritos

RG Panatellas Extra

Fonseca Delicias

Lastly i will mention LFDC Elegidos. Honestly they are miles better than anything on this list, but also price wise are miles ahead than the above, for not much more money you can get into long fillers such as Vegueros and even mighty close to D4s etc on sale. So while i do recommend them as a good smoke, they are not a cheap smoke.

• Like 3