2021 US Vehicle Dependability Study

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How’d my Lamborghini do?  Why aren’t they listed?

..as a Land Rover owner, I am just glad we beat somebody  J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) Problems per 100 vehicles. 20

3 hours ago, joeypots said:

Interesting. I have a Honda Ridgeline. It's a great vehicle for me except the infotainment is an electronic mess. It's a mess of a system. I could see Honda doing better if there were less issues with the system. I'd take the Toyota system any day.

Yeah its amazing the amount of or lack there of R&D some companies put into their systems. With my profession I have quite a bit of time behind competitor's systems and some are truly a nightmare! 

2 hours ago, mprach024 said:

Aren’t they just Faster, prettier, and much sexier Audi’s anyways?  I haven’t kept up on my super car knowledge since Clarkson and gang stopped reviewing cars.

Audi does currently own Lambo. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, zigarrenziggy said:

Perfect. All the validation that I needed to buy a Porsche...

On another note, not at all surprised by Jeep. My girlfriend's Jeep blew two engines in the span of 9 months. 0/10 would not recommend

My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee has been the worst vehicle we've ever owned...  Constant leaks and squeaks including a leak the first night we brought it home, took it back and they threw in a deluxe Chrysler warranty/service contract  with a 100$ deductable as long as we own it.. Turns out this was a good thing, at 84k the motor ate itself. After this we've had to replace a power steering pump and so far things are quiet..

I'm going to keep it with the warranty as I can't fix anything for 100$ on a vehicle anymore.. and my service adviser tells me this is not available anymore. On  a side note,  I'm already getting emails from DC saying if I cancel this warranty they will give me 3000 towards a new vehicle... As if I would EVER buy another DC vehicle again...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

Aren’t they just Faster, prettier, and much sexier Audi’s anyways?  I haven’t kept up on my super car knowledge since Clarkson and gang stopped reviewing cars.

Yeah, I was watching a guy on youtube Tvarish rebuild a wrecked Lambo. Showing examples of servos and switches how costly you could buy them directly from lambo or buy the same component online from Audi groups and European retailers. He's now doing a McClaren. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee has been the worst vehicle we've ever owned...  Constant leaks and squeaks including a leak the first night we brought it home, took it back and they threw in a deluxe Chrysler warranty/service contract  with a 100$ deductable as long as we own it.. Turns out this was a good thing, at 84k the motor ate itself. After this we've had to replace a power steering pump and so far things are quiet..

I'm going to keep it with the warranty as I can't fix anything for 100$ on a vehicle anymore.. and my service adviser tells me this is not available anymore. On  a side note,  I'm already getting emails from DC saying if I cancel this warranty they will give me 3000 towards a new vehicle... As if I would EVER buy another DC vehicle again...

Totally agree. Made us swear off of Chrysler products indefinitely

• Like 1

IMO any electric car - which has far fewer moving parts compared to an ICE car, would be more reliable and logical to own.  Survey does not show the type of problems cars can have, and often the devil is in the details. For example the MB is rated middle of the pack, but I would stay away from them expect for a couple of tried and true models.  Any repair on a german car (MB, Audi, BMW) would cost your an arm and a leg and not to mention the debt of regret served on the side

• Like 1

Tesla’s are very popular in my area.  A stroll through the neighborhood is like the world’s largest Tesla showroom.  Lately, however, a swarm of Tesla service vehicles have started to appear with more frequency.  Now I know why!

22 minutes ago, FoH.Amyn said:

IMO any electric car - which has far fewer moving parts compared to an ICE car, would be more reliable and logical to own.  

Should be but early days yet. Tesla has had plenty of publicised issues. 

23 minutes ago, FoH.Amyn said:

For example the MB is rated middle of the pack, but I would stay away from them expect for a couple of tried and true models.  Any repair on a german car (MB, Audi, BMW) would cost your an arm and a leg and not to mention the debt of regret served on the side

German made Mercs are fine cars. Same goes for BMW....German made ones.  

1 hour ago, FoH.Amyn said:

For example the MB is rated middle of the pack, but I would stay away from them expect for a couple of tried and true models.  Any repair on a german car (MB, Audi, BMW) would cost your an arm and a leg and not to mention the debt of regret served on the side

I’m on my 9th Merc, will never change most likely and never had a problem.  Thing with German cars is to sell before warranty is up.

• Like 1

Alfa owner here. Infiniti as well.

Zero problems with either and both were first model year. 4 years with the former, 12 with the latter.

On a few Alfa boards/groups, and unless the results are also based on models prior to Alfa leaving the States in 1995, it must be due to the flashes. Very few owners voice issues beyond the electric sunroof and disco dashboard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Should be but early days yet. Tesla has had plenty of publicised issues. 

German made Mercs are fine cars. Same goes for BMW....German made ones.  

I have had better experiences with German made MBs (E-class) vs the SUVs (ML, GL) that are made in Alabama.

Electric cars will become more reliable, and you are correct we are still in the early days - hence all the quirks with early model Teslas 

3 hours ago, FoH.Amyn said:

IMO any electric car - which has far fewer moving parts compared to an ICE car, would be more reliable

One day they will be. But for now I can’t help but remember that when my computer breaks, it’s never a moving part ?

2 minutes ago, MrBirdman said:

One day they will be. But for now I can’t help but remember that when my computer breaks, it’s never a moving part ?

It's a kind of surreal thing to reboot the infotainment computer while driving. The screen just goes blank/black and stays that way for a minute until the reboot is complete and things come back, but in the meantime one is in Helen Keller mode. No speedometer, no navigation, can't even hear or see the turn signals (though they still work).

I think there's a secondary speaker hooked to the emergency warning system in case that's triggered.

4 hours ago, Bijan said:

It's a kind of surreal thing to reboot the infotainment computer while driving. The screen just goes blank/black and stays that way for a minute until the reboot is complete and things come back, but in the meantime one is in Helen Keller mode. No speedometer, no navigation, can't even hear or see the turn signals (though they still work).

I think there's a secondary speaker hooked to the emergency warning system in case that's triggered.

Info center seems to be the biggest complaint for the Alfistis as well. not sure one should mark so low just for that!

4 hours ago, Bijan said:

t's a kind of surreal thing to reboot the infotainment computer while driving. The screen just goes blank/black and stays that way for a minute until the reboot is complete and things come back, but in the meantime one is in Helen Keller mode. No speedometer, no navigation, can't even hear or see the turn signals (though they still work).

Hope that doesn’t happen on his spaceships 

1 minute ago, mprach024 said:

It has. Seen the past couple Space X landings?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

It doesn't generally happen in the car either unless you get a lemon. But sometimes the internet cuts out (mainly affects music streaming, and tends to happen in remote areas), and the quickest way to get it back is to do such a reboot.