2021 US Vehicle Dependability Study

I am going to give a Kudos to Land Rover. 

Overall my Range Rover has been a dog of a car. Purchased new it had its transmission and CPU replaced in the first 6 months. :rolleyes:

I have had it 3 years as of April this year and I will sell it next month as it is out of warranty. 

I went into my dealer and he said straight up.....'Rob, it's out of warranty in 6 weeks so let's see what we can get done under warranty"

Here is what he did. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

That's AUD so say $265 USD. 

I still can't believe they replaced the timing belt. 

There are good people in this world. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How’d my Lamborghini do?  Why aren’t they listed?

..as a Land Rover owner, I am just glad we beat somebody  J.D. Power 2021 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) Problems per 100 vehicles. 20

6 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I went into my dealer and he said straight up.....'Rob, it's out of warranty in 6 weeks so let's see what we can get done under warranty"

That's not because of Land Rover, that's a good service man.  Took my wife's Volvo to the dealer when there was 2 months left on warranty and asked the service writer to go over it with a fine tooth comb and fix anything that was covered by warranty.  He called me in 4 hours and told me he couldn't find anything except a dirty air filter that would cost me $85 to replace and asked if I wanted that done. ?  Some guys get it and some don't.  Traded it for a Mercedes.

• Like 1

Lament the decline of British engineering; once leaders of the world and now laughing stock. 

13 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

Alfa owner here. Infiniti as well.

Zero problems with either and both were first model year. 4 years with the former, 12 with the latter.

On a few Alfa boards/groups, and unless the results are also based on models prior to Alfa leaving the States in 1995, it must be due to the flashes. Very few owners voice issues beyond the electric sunroof and disco dashboard.

Agree on the Alfa. I've had precisely one problem with my Giulia Ti sport which was that the clip that holds the sun visor in place broke when my step daughter pulled on it wrong. 15 dollar fix. I've heard people complain about the infotainment system, and frankly, if you're buying an Alfa for its radio the company doesn't really need your business. Stepdaughter and wife both complain as passengers thst its too hard to change radio stations. Everyone shuts up about everything behind the wheel. It would be a plus if they added a sunglass holder though. 

Also notice that when I take mine in for service that the bulk of repairs to other similar vehicles in thr garage are electrical or to the sunroof. I feel as if the company as a whole got a bad rap pre 1995 and couldn't shake that reputation in the consumer reports. Reading those is a real laugh. Wow, a sports sedan and SUV are not fuel efficient? Oh no. Hard to use radio dial? Tell me more about how a performance car requires a (only slightly) higher degree of maintenance and attention!

On 2/24/2021 at 5:58 AM, Chibearsv said:

@Fosgate I thought those GM numbers were weird too.  How is every GM make better than industry average except GMC?  JD Power must've thought it would look more credible to put at least one GM over the line.

Well, Chevy high on the dependability list is definitely suspect.  I know too many guys with Chevys and each has had issues.  

Here’s an entertaining view of Chevy and their dependability.  Me?  After nearly 500k miles on an 07 Accord, and now 22,600 on my 6 month old 2020 Accord I’ll just stick with Honda...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, MrBirdman said:

One day they will be. But for now I can’t help but remember that when my computer breaks, it’s never a moving part ?

The “blue screen of death” takes on a whole new meaning! 

• Haha 1

Had a great experience with my wife’s Kia Sorento overall, but whoever the genius was that made it virtually impossible to change the spark plugs and coil packs without first removing the entire intake manifold assembly... ?

EF1CD373-0680-441C-9F48-21B21D3CF9A0.jpeg

AF61ECE6-C623-4718-97E2-256CF9F2FFD1.jpeg

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Overall my Range Rover has been a dog of a car. Purchased new it had its transmission and CPU replaced in the first 6 months. :rolleyes:

I have had it 3 years as of April this year and I will sell it next month as it is out of warranty. 

Here is what he did. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

14 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Here is what he did. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I'd be thinkiing about trading that off. Maybe a new Toyota Landcruiser or Lincoln Aviator

5 hours ago, Chas.Alpha said:

Had a great experience with my wife’s Kia Sorento overall, but whoever the genius was that made it virtually impossible to change the spark plugs and coil packs without first removing the entire intake manifold assembly... ?

EF1CD373-0680-441C-9F48-21B21D3CF9A0.jpeg

AF61ECE6-C623-4718-97E2-256CF9F2FFD1.jpeg

Engineers don't design them with maintenance in mind... Age old story in all industries... but it doesn't make it any less painful for you though... sorry about that..

20 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Honda went to sleep around the year 2000 and has only just woken up. They are playing catch up. 

I’ve owned three, the most recent being a ‘16 Civic that I had for a couple of years before I moved to Japan, and they were all super reliable.  Guess I was lucky.  I had no idea their reputation had declined so precipitously.

5 minutes ago, Deeg said:

I’ve owned three, the most recent being a ‘16 Civic that I had for a couple of years before I moved to Japan, and they were all super reliable.  Guess I was lucky.  I had no idea their reputation had declined so precipitously.

Not so much their reliability reputation but their engine development / R&D went from the front of the grid to the back of the pack. 

8 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Not so much their reliability reputation but their engine development / R&D went from the front of the grid to the back of the pack. 

That last one was just after they did their last redesign on the Civic, clearly modeled on the BMW 3 series, and it was getting great reviews.  That car was a banger - little 4-cylinder turbo that got 50+ MPG on the highway and had almost no turbo lag.  Nicely appointed, handled great and could really get off the line.  Probably the nicest car I ever owned apart from my 325 (which was a joy to drive and a constant drain on the wallet).