How to smoke indoors

Like many who live in the humid subtropical climate of the Southeastern USA, I have to contend with wet nasty winters. I would love to smoke indoors but I can't smell up the house. Any ideas? I thought about getting a nice portable building to turn into a lounge, but that might take a while. What about smoking in a bathroom with the doors closed and the exhaust fan running. I've tried this briefly but not a whole sesssion...

The only thing that I've seen that's effective is a room with good high ventilation, good circulation, a commercial smoke eater above and a rabbit air below. 

And even with that, the room will never be the same after about a year of regular smoking. Cigars smoke utterly destroys rooms. Cigarette smoke also but it takes longer. That's why bowling alleys and bingo halls always smell the same (or did until a few years ago.)

• Like 3

My bathroom is too small and the ventilator isn't strong enough, so after around 30 mins it will become too smoky to a point that it becomes unpleasant.

I usually simply smoke in the living room. Good ventilation is key during and after smoking. I leave my windows open overnight and the smell really clears. I also do not have many materials around that absorb the smell. My parents come over all the time and they do not notice any lingering smell (until dad starts lighting up my cigars, that is!).

If, however, you want to keep the smoke in a specific room, you can try the kitchen, directly under the ventilation hood. Mine is a lot stronger than the ventilation fan in the toilet, and I suppose there are seldom any absorbent materials in the kitchen either. 

• Like 2

I too live in a colder climate NE area of the U.S. I'm lucky to have a car garage and that is where I smoke. however, not too good but still better than nothing on really really cold days/nights and even worse windy cold and I just have to have a puff. Something that I wanted to buy from a big box store are one of those propane tank heating units. My brother in law had one set up outside on his deck and it works great.. generates nice heat.  Something like that in my garage would be great...

12 hours ago, BlueClaw said:
I too live in a colder climate NE area of the U.S. I'm lucky to have a car garage and that is where I smoke. however, not too good but still better than nothing on really really cold days/nights and even worse windy cold and I just have to have a puff. Something that I wanted to buy from a big box store are one of those propane tank heating units. My brother in law had one set up outside on his deck and it works great.. generates nice heat.  Something like that in my garage would be great...

I have a propane heater on my balcony but for the garage I use this and it works great. Bonus is not worrying about running out of propane. I picked it up a Costco a few years ago and it’s still going strong.

7319ef0b99bbc8735a185d7b3e3ea754.jpg

I’m not sure smoking in the bathroom is the kind of multi tasking I want to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've got this now for about a year in my garage. works pretty good when me and the boys want to smoke in the garage and then spray Smoke neutralizer on cloth or furniture. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPD9BDI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Zep-Smoke-Eliminator-Aerosol-ECZUSOE162/dp/B07M8YGHDQ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Zep+Odor+eliminator&qid=1610588745&s=instant-video&sr=1-1

If you want to keep it down more you might want to install a window vent to directly vent the air outside quickly while your smoking. 

I don’t smoke often indoors but when I do running my ozone machine for a few hours with a couple box fans to circulate air gets things back to about 90-95% normal. The rest just takes time

• Like 1

I don’t smoke often indoors but when I do running my ozone machine for a few hours with a couple box fans to circulate air gets things back to about 90-95% normal. The rest just takes time

This is what I do too. Garage, heaters, box fan, garage door open a crack. Run the ozone over night and no smell the next morning.

• Like 1

If the temps outside are acceptable, buy a small canopy tent such as this one from Eurmax. You can find them now for under $200. I have one that I use in the summer, as the sun beats on my patio all day long. I can't leave it up in the winter, as we get snow and ice in my area. But for the US Southeast area, I would think this would work fine. And if it's a bit too cool sometimes, you can get one of those propane tank heaters to use as a heat source.

Eurmax 10x10 ez pop up canopy outdoor canopy instant tent with 4 zipper  sidewalls and roller bag,bouns 4 weight bags,White - Walmart.com -  Walmart.com

Always a good discussion.  Living here in the District, between the temps, humidity and bugs there are small windows for smoking outside.  So we smoke inside in the front room of our house.  Have a ceiling fan, a/c unit and floor air filter along with burning a scented candle.  

12 hours ago, benfica_77 said:

Smoking in the bathroom reminds me of my University days Jamaican hotboxing the bathroom. 

With a used paper towel roll stuffed full of dryer sheets perhaps? Plus 1 for leaving the shower running on hot. Those were the days. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Turn an outdoor space into an indoor space.

1728762758_SmokingArea.jpg.fe1116715d4089468d7fb820d4777616.jpg

That looks like GOOD times :)

Id say to just bite the bullet and dedicate a room to it in your house. If you can ventilate it. Do it. It's not too expensive or complicated to throw a few ducts or inline fans in the ceiling. Failing that a box fan in a window works in a pinch. Spring for a purifier and make sure there aren't any HVAC cold air returns thatll take the smoke into the rest of the house. 

22 hours ago, Fosgate said:

I've got this now for about a year in my garage. works pretty good when me and the boys want to smoke in the garage and then spray Smoke neutralizer on cloth or furniture. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPD9BDI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Zep-Smoke-Eliminator-Aerosol-ECZUSOE162/dp/B07M8YGHDQ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Zep+Odor+eliminator&qid=1610588745&s=instant-video&sr=1-1

If you want to keep it down more you might want to install a window vent to directly vent the air outside quickly while your smoking. 

Hey this looks good. Do you have the industrial version ? Or the regular version is good for 2 car garage? 

12 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

Corner mounted garage heater/furnace and a ceiling exhaust fan - best cigar investment I've made.  It's a little noisy but I'll take that for the heat it produces.  I've got a floor fan that points up to the ceiling fan to boost smoke up and out and I need the garage door opened a crack to let in just enough fresh air to cycle.  I can keep the temp above 65 no matter how cold it is outside and zero smoke smell inside.  

IMG_0893.JPEG.80b93bd2e82881675c6ddf95a1215923.JPEG

That's a nice looking heater, probably moves some serious air. Where do I find those? Lowe's? Home Depot? I could probably mount one of those in my shop and smoke out there. It's fully enclosed, and insulated. I've just never been able to keep it warm in the winter and cool in summer cause it's such a large space, but I bet that heater would do the trick!

1 minute ago, Baccy said:

That's a nice looking heater, probably moves some serious air. Where do I find those? Lowe's? Home Depot? I could probably mount one of those in my shop and smoke out there. It's fully enclosed, and insulated. I've just never been able to keep it warm in the winter and cool in summer cause it's such a large space, but I bet that heater would do the trick!

It’s called a hot dawg. I think they’re available through some industrial supply sites. I contacted a local installer that knew exactly what I wanted and they ran gas and electric to it, vented it outside, and installed a simple thermostat. Not sure it’s a do it yourself project with gas lines and electric though. Certainly not for me.  Wasn’t cheap but I’m completely happy I did it. Cost way less than building a dedicated room in the basement. It’s 35 and raining outside right now but 70 in the garage as I enjoy a lovely cigar. 

About three years ago, I converted a bedroom (12 x 12) to my cigar lounge. Installed a 140 cfm Broan vent fan above my recliners. I also crack open the bedroom door about 2-3 inches so that the vent fan creates negative pressure in the room. That keeps the smoke from entering the rest of the house. I leave the vent fan running for about an hour after I leave the room. Has worked very well. 

We’re building a new house and the bonus room upstairs will be my Man Cave/Cigar Lounge. 16 x 30 with its own HVAC system with a 4” carbon filter. I’m also installing a 300 cfm exhaust fan in the smoking area with a remote mounted fan located in the attic which will vent outside. 

Here’s the current setup. All you longtime members are probably tired of seeing these photos. 

2AD1FAB1-22A4-4FE4-A3FB-EC978661F907.jpeg.9160c22ddc63ecf6fdf301f5781f5ed2.jpeg549D64B9-4E3D-46C8-B826-048D73AA7579.jpeg.0fd001f122e8506b8501c3ebe793c0fa.jpeg

• Like 4

I live in the Northeast US too so I wax about this issue a lot. I've got a garage/shop with a Hot Dawg heater but without proper ventilation it quickly becomes intolerable in there, especially with two smokers. Big window fan or box fan is the next step.