WINNER & RESULT ANNOUNCED!! 50/50 FOH's Weekly Poll Comp: #9

50/50 Poll #9  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Scenario: We're going to lose all of either Paul's or John's songs for good. Gone, forever. We can only keep one lot. Whose work do you choose to save? Beatles + Solo career combined. (For the Beatles years, it's whoever sang lead vocals: e.g. Help (John) Hey Jude (Paul), that's the track we lose from history).

This poll is closed to new votes

This week's 50/50 concerns probably the greatest songwriting partnership of all time: Lennon/McCartney go up the flag poll! You know the drill: read the question, vote on the poll, elaborate in the thread if you so desire. Voting participants go into the draw for an El Pres sampler! - Drawn next Wednesday (Aus local time).

And for those who have submitted suggestions for polls - we will be using some this month :thumbsup: Keep them coming in. PM me. :yes:

5050-flagpole1.jpg

All about 50/50...

50/50 is a weekly poll where we find out whether or not some serious bones of contention questions can be finally be buried or will instead remain above ground as a fleshy 50/50 debate... you know, such weighty issues as these...

If given no other option:

are you a Cohiba or Monte person? 

do you prefer Hunnicutt or Trapper in M*A*S*H? 

Connery or Moore as Bond?

Apple or PC?

Smooth or Crunchy peanut butter? 

do you prefer wearing men's or women's underwear?

Sacrificing chickens or virgins?

...that sort of standard fare. 

Vote in the poll and further bolster your standpoint in the thread below if you wish. Poll Votes are public and there's a couple of sticks up for grabs for participants. :party:

Also, PM me Polls that you'd like me to conduct on 50/50 and there'll be a prize for those we decide to use. :thumbsup:

22 minutes ago, Stump89 said:

Gotta keep John's for the sole fact that I'm just a McCartney hater. But let's be real, George was the most talented of the gang.

I agree with every word. For some reason, Paul just bugs me. George was definitely the most talented.

• Like 1

Stump89 beat me to it but yeah, it's George for me.  Paul and John did their best to keep him down for the entire run but his genius still burst through.

Given the choice presented, I went with Paul, but it's no easy call.  John's best songs are better, and Paul's worst are worse.  But I think Paul gets undersold pretty badly - he's prolific, inventive, and one of the greatest craftsmen of pop songs ever (along with Neil Finn and Difford & Tilbrook, IMO).  His overall body of work barely edges out John's for me (though of course John lost so many years to tragedy).

Also, Paul's medley at the end of Abbey Road may be my favorite non-George Beatles music of all.

6 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I'm abstaining from this poll. This question is like asking me to delete the Por Larranaga Petit Corona or Por Larranaga Montecarlos.

John, which would you delete? The PLPC or the PLMC?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tough choice, many pieces by both amazing. Went with John.

Since we’re in hypothetical land. What happens to the songs co-written by Paul and John? Do we get half a song, lyrics only, a tune only or nothing?

11 minutes ago, grizzlee said:

Since we’re in hypothetical land. What happens to the songs co-written by Paul and John? Do we get half a song, lyrics only, a tune only or nothing?

Well, in truth that's only a very small handful, no matter what the credits on the album say.

1 minute ago, juri said:

so its who sang the song not wrote it? because who created it is a hell off alot more important then who sang it

2 hours ago, grizzlee said:

Happy to be called out on this by those who know better but to my knowledge on all the Lennon/McCartney Beatles' songs whoever sang it pretty much wrote it. Quite often there was little or no collaboration in terms of the actual songwriting. The other band members and producer contributed in massaging it into existence as a final recording, but that's where it started and ended as far as collaboration goes. It's only a rule of thumb and, of course, there are exceptions. But, as someone else commented, they're so minimal as to not make a difference for our purposes here. :)

• Like 1

Paul fan here and it is not particularly close. I was born after John's death and It always seemed to me that he was sainted after his death. Of course I have little to go on outside of things I have read or heard. 

For me Blackbird is enough to vote Paul. It just speaks to me in a profound way.