I have this neighbor...

So I have a guy who moves into the neighborhood a few houses down.  We get along okay and his wife is the same with mine.  Anyway he smokes a cigar occasionally and we have exchanged a few.  I gave him a nice FOH tubo a couple months ago at a party and I think he liked it.  So we’re at a cookout this afternoon with a number of families from the neighborhood and he reaches in his pocket and hands me a Cuban Monte 2. Here’s where it gets odd.  He just pulled it out of his pocket...no tube, no cover, no anything.  So the wrapper is just all but destroyed. I thank him for the fine gift and make sure to keep it handy as I leave. I’m just scratching my head however.  He is no cigar newbie.  He had to know it was unsmokable.  Maybe he thinks I’m a tool and a shredded Cuban is the appropriate gift.  Anyway...I thought the whole thing very odd.

That's definitely weird. What a waste of a good cigar!

Just because he smokes occasionally doesn't mean he's not a newbie, in fact, to me, sounds like he is a newbie. 

I'd err on the side of, he didn't mean to give you a beat up cigar, but that's probably all he had. 

Didn't say anything like, sorry this is all beat up but maybe you can repair the wrapper?

• Like 1

You should pretend you don't know any better and then casually mention next time you see him that you smoked the cigar he gave you and it tasted great but it was strange how it unravelled and fell apart about 15 minutes in.  Ask him if it's normal for Cuban cigars to do that.

Odd for sure, but he thought of you.  Agree with Ken...prolly doesn’t know any better and to passively aggressively point it out would just make him feel bad. Err on the side that he tried, maybe nurture him along in a cc journey, saying hey, just received these...want to smoke em together and compare notes?

My two cents worth,

Wheezy

3 hours ago, dowjr1 said:

and he reaches in his pocket and hands me a Cuban Monte 2. Here’s where it gets odd.  He just pulled it out of his pocket...no tube, no cover, no anything.  So the wrapper is just all but destroyed.

Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't get it but : Why would the wrapper be destroyed or "shredded" and the cigar unsmokeable from carrying it in his shirtpocket ( that is what I assume he did, nobody smart enough would carry a cigar in his pantspocket ) ....

I've met a few guys who smoke plenty of cigars but at the end of the day just aren't that knowledgeable and that's completely cool too. As everyones said he probably doesn't know any better. Nice gesture all the same.

There's a nice video on YouTube somewhere of the actor who played Paulie from Goodfelllas and he mentions how there's a couple of different cigars smokers and how they enjoy them; the stereotype of a guy in a top hat and morning suit, the foreman at a building site with a stogie clamped between his teeth and the guys somewhere in the middle. 

Could just be the second type who doesn't go in for much beyond enjoying having one lit that tastes good? Everyone has their own way of enjoying things, I bet there's a guy somewhere asking his mates why this guy he knows spends hours measuring and tinkering with his wine fridge over 1%rh differences and keeps opening his cigar boxes and sniffing them :D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

I bet there's a guy somewhere asking his mates why this guy he knows spends hours measuring and tinkering with his wine fridge over 1%rh differences and keeps opening his cigar boxes and sniffing them :D

Everyone has their own fetishes... :lookaround:

6 hours ago, nino said:

Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't get it but : Why would the wrapper be destroyed or "shredded" and the cigar unsmokeable from carrying it in his shirtpocket ( that is what I assume he did, nobody smart enough would carry a cigar in his pantspocket ) ....

This. What pocket did he take it out of? 

• Thanks 1

I have poker buddies that claim to be cigar smokers, and they do smoke regularly, socially, but if you ask them what they’re smoking they have to look at the band, and sound it out. It’s like they get the cigars out of a grab bag.

Your friend probably thought he was really hooking you up, he just doesn’t know any better yet.

Now you know what to buy him for his birthday!

3 hours ago, PigFish said:

Throw the cigar in the trash.

Suggest taking them to dinner. Take them to Taco Bell. You won't have to deal with them anymore.

* The doctor is in between 10 and 12, 2 to 4pm.

-the Pig

If that is the way he carries around cigars, Taco Bell might be considered fine dining to him.

• Haha 1

Don’t read too much into it. If he thinks you’re a tool and isn’t afraid to give you a shabby cigar then he wouldn’t be afraid to let you know he holds this opinion of you in other ways. A long time smoker doesn’t necessarily equate to a knowledgeable one, and a newbie doesn’t necessarily equate to someone with zero knowledge. Take it and say thank you. 

Is that a Monty 2 in your pocket or are you just happy to see me

If you like the guy buy him a three finger case. Next time he wants to give you a cigar he’ll feel obligated to show you he’s using it so the cigar should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, PigFish said:

Throw the cigar in the trash.

Suggest taking them to dinner. Take them to Taco Bell. You won't have to deal with them anymore.

* The doctor is in between 10 and 12, 2 to 4pm.

-the Pig

And take a mashed-up burrito out of your pocket and tell him there's no need to wait in line, you got him covered.