List the Worst of Cigar Etiquette

Not to long ago I gave up to all this BS, from now on I give away (to people that are not true aficionados) fakes, guantanameras and if I really like them a JLP.

Hi Taino,

I'm curious to know how you define "true aficionados". Does that encompass a portion of the society (and indeed select members of this site) for whom cigar smoking has become a well-versed hobby or does it speak to someone who has a high affinity for taste and capacity for appreciation? If your answer leans more toward the latter then I should interpret your stipulation on sharing to simply exclude those who appear louche.

Although my taste in cigars is still young I would consider myself someone whose overall attitude is aligned with unyielding epicurean pursuit. Though not yet a connoisseur of fine habanos, I would hope that my aspirations (and similar aspirations in others, regardless of their age in years) would constitute a willingness from you to share and educate with joy and generosity. That is not to say that I would ever ask a respected elder for a handout, however, if I'm ever in a room with you I might be hurt to receive something determinedly sub-par.

I agree with the sentiment that fine items should be celebrated and not squandered and so humbly inquire of you the selection process with which you employ this reservation.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol. Clearly this thread has aged well and is ready for smoking! Seriously though, the old internet rule against resurrecting old posts should only apply to threads that are time/date sensitive. This

Interesting - I'd probably not be allowed to smoke with many of you I've cut cigars with my teeth, fingernails, knives, nails, all kinds of cutters. I've lit them with all types of implements and

Considering a few of the new topics started buy some new members are simply met with a wall of links to old topics I don't think anyone is in place to complain about necromancy of old threads. I'm gla

Worst cigar etiquette, most recent example, sitting in Reinaldos back room enjoying his beautiful cigars with him and a husband wife combo slip in the room and start to discuss cigars with the wife proclaiming Dominican cigars are the best of the best and the husband with the opinion that Nics are the best of the best...now they didn't know who Reinaldo was but that was pretty funny to watch....im all for free thinking but have some cooth lol...

• Like 1

Hi Taino,

I'm curious to know how you define "true aficionados". Does that encompass a portion of the society (and indeed select members of this site) for whom cigar smoking has become a well-versed hobby or does it speak to someone who has a high affinity for taste and capacity for appreciation? If your answer leans more toward the latter then I should interpret your stipulation on sharing to simply exclude those who appear louche.

Although my taste in cigars is still young I would consider myself someone whose overall attitude is aligned with unyielding epicurean pursuit. Though not yet a connoisseur of fine habanos, I would hope that my aspirations (and similar aspirations in others, regardless of their age in years) would constitute a willingness from you to share and educate with joy and generosity. That is not to say that I would ever ask a respected elder for a handout, however, if I'm ever in a room with you I might be hurt to receive something determinedly sub-par.

I agree with the sentiment that fine items should be celebrated and not squandered and so humbly inquire of you the selection process with which you employ this reservation.

You do realize this is a five year old post you are responding to? How in the world did you even find it?

• Like 2

You have to admit tho, his question is timeless.

I guess I was so impressed he was going back in the forum five years that I didn't even read the post. And I thought I was fanatical about this forum and the education it has given me in this hobby. surprised.gif

You have to admit tho, his question is timeless.

On occasion, while using the "search" feature to find previous discussions of interest, I get so rapt in reading the responses that I lose track of the discussion's place in time. That seems to have been the case here!

I hate it when I've dedicated my time and a place to a lovely big cigar and then have non smokers see you doing it and decide to join you outside only to not long after, complain that your cigar "stinks" and try and make you feel like the odd one out.

I was here first pricks!

• Like 1

Seeing zombie thread after zombie thread on my favorite cigar forum.

Just kidding peace.gif

• Like 2

Oooh, ooh... how about people who have been smoking for a while taking a holier-than-thou, ivory tower approach to beginners asking beginner questions? C'est est sans etiquette.

• Like 2

Despite the necropost, my biggest complaint is when I go to my local cigar lounge to smoke a cigar indoors due to the weather, and a group of guys come in, bringing their non-cigar smoking buddy. That guy usually buys a flavored cheap cigar (last time was a grape swisher) that permeates the entire shop, more or less ruining my enjoyment. Can't imagine the rest in the group truly enjoy cigars, but at least they bought something that didn't require everyone in the shop to participate... Thankfully the weather's turning and I can go back to sitting on my back porch.

Just my friends that ask to take a couple puffs on my cigar, which I don't mind too much it's just when they try and burn through it so quickly and don't take their time so it must be burning horribly hot!

People that I've gifted a cigar to and not even making it past an inch.

I commited a bad one myself when without thinking I moistened the end of a BBF and used a shops cutter infront of the manager without thinking (had left mine at home).

Loved reading the earlier banter and yeah this is a great discussion.

For me it's the expectation of cigars from non smokers on special occasions or gatherings without reciprocating.

People start to expect cigars every Easter, birthday, new years, party and spite seeming to enjoy it never bring their own or buy a box etc.. Sometimes I don't smoke at my own social gathering because I know there'll be a few sets of expectant eyes on me

• Like 1

For me it's the expectation of cigars from non smokers on special occasions or gatherings without reciprocating.

People start to expect cigars every Easter, birthday, new years, party and spite seeming to enjoy it never bring their own or buy a box etc.. Sometimes I don't smoke at my own social gathering because I know there'll be a few sets of expectant eyes on me

That's funny right there!

Its funny how a nice gesture turns into an assumption on there part that you will always be the gifter upon your arrival?

Highly annoying I can attest!

I have a friend who never ever buys cigars, but we always smoke mine when he comes over. So he'll come over, he'll bring a six pack of beers, smoke one of my cigars with me, drink my whisky, and then at the end of the night he'll pull whatever beers are left out of the refrigerator to take with him when he leaves. Luckily I love this guy dearly and this has become something of an amusing ritual over the years.

• Like 1

Very frustrating. I'll admitt it either stops me smoking or means I smoke a less special cigar in certain company because I know there'll be an expectation. People don't seem to comprehend having an expectation of a cigar can often equal arriving somewhere as a guest expecting to be handed a moderate bottle of spirit or wine as well as any food or alcohol already given. When nobody else offers even the same level of food or booze let alone social outlet it's a pretty frustrating dampener on down time. Couple of them occasionally buy cigars to smoke elsewhere, singles that is, mysteriously show up empty handed to my place. I often wonder if it's just my generation and I need to become more of a tightarse

Drunkmonkey thank god Im not the only one with those friends.

• Like 1

If I'm hosting at my house, or going to a friends party, I often hesitate to smoke around people I don't know really well... for the same reasons. Nothing bugs me more than someone hitting me up for a cigar. This is the only reason why I keep domestics around, or will bring some with me to parties.

My wife likes me to give cigars to her cousin, who smokes Macanudos. I tend to give him domestics now. She also wants me to bond with her brother by smoking cigars. I've given him a 98 Monte 5 and 02 Part Corona so far. He smoked an inch of each before tossing them. I don't do that anymore. The whole point of me bring cigars to visits with the inlaws is to enjoy myself and sit quietly outdoors.

Friends that refuse to learn how to maintain a humidor and pull a stick out of the freezer instead only to have wrapper issues as you smoke it.

When you give someone a nice cigar and they toss half of it

People who immediately pull the band off- aside from the risk of damage, someone put a lot of love and car in creating and placing that band on and I consider it a part of the workmanship of the cigar.

People who bite the cap off a cigar

Cigarette smokers who ***** about cigar smokers when we light up

Moochers...unless they are a good looking woman.

People who constantly try to flick any miniscule piece of ash off

People who blow smoke around the table rather than directing their lips to shoot it up and away

People who set their cigar down and pour water over it to put it out and leave...that's ok I love the smell of went burnt cigar!

People who you give a cigar to and then they want a punch even though they have never used it, insist on doing it themselves. Seems they always press too hard or don't grip the cigar right and damage the cap or wrapper or both, ruining a perfectly good cigar.

People who do not thank you for giving them a cigar

Mine are.

1. People who take there bands and cello off and put then in the ash tray. **** always gets hot ashes on them and it stinks.

2. People who are smoking cigarettes.

3. My wife bothering me while indulging.

^^^ Andrew NR^^^

You hit right on it man. I am the only regular cigar smoker in my 'core' group of buddies, which is mostly guys I went to highschool with, and 1 from college who happens to live pretty close. We golf a lot and actually have our annual golf trip coming up next week. One of my closest friends stopped by my office the other day to go over some details about the trip, and he asks; " you're bringing some cigars, right?" Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind hooking a brotha up every now & then. But don't assume it or worse yet expect it! Him & I are like brothers really & we've known each other since grade school. Maybe I shouldn't care but it still pisses me off when he pulls that ****. He'll ask me for a stick about 1 out of every 3 golf rounds & every year for the annual trip. He knows I smoke 90% CC and what they cost. We've only had 364 days since the last trip, right? Buy a couple f'ing cigars bro!

And this is rich! Just earlier this week my wife, who btw never misses an opportunity to ***** about how "stinky" I am from "those damn cigars" or how much money I'm spending, tells me a guy from who work, who I've never met... is going to get a hold of me so I can GIVE him some sticks for his upcoming wedding! What in the F**k is that? I told her, "sure, I'll email him the names & addresses of a few local B&M's"... she wasn't amused. But you know what, neither was I.

Oh and one last thing: I light every single cigar I smoke(1-2 a day), with a bic lighter. And if I can without damaging the cigar, I'll remove the band.

• Like 1