List the Worst of Cigar Etiquette

Way I see it, if I'm gonna smoke at a party (whether I'm hosting or not) I should be willing to provide others the same enjoyment.

You don't show up to a party with a single serving of ice cream and eat it by yourself.

If cigs smoking is unusual in your circles and you are the driving force behind it, you should be willing to share yours.

If they're regular smokers, that's different. If they only smoke with you because you always bring them, you've kinda set yourself for that expectation.

Just my two cents.

When I am hosting a party I always have a box or full desktop out or whomever cares for a smoke.

Typically a decent C&C or smaller vitola like a Monte #4 and I'll take the true aficionados to the cabinet for another option.

I know that in the morning I'll find a few that were abandoned only an inch or two in and that's fine. It's when I hand something special to someone who's supposed to be in to cigars and they leave one to rot after 5 minutes that I get peeved.

Most recent example, I handed a friend a 10 year old RS11 last party we had and found it sitting around only 1" in the following morning. Last one for him.....

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol. Clearly this thread has aged well and is ready for smoking! Seriously though, the old internet rule against resurrecting old posts should only apply to threads that are time/date sensitive. This

Interesting - I'd probably not be allowed to smoke with many of you I've cut cigars with my teeth, fingernails, knives, nails, all kinds of cutters. I've lit them with all types of implements and

Considering a few of the new topics started buy some new members are simply met with a wall of links to old topics I don't think anyone is in place to complain about necromancy of old threads. I'm gla

Moochers don't bother me too much, I always tend to have an extra or two on hand when fishing or going to a football game to share with those who express interest. Sometimes halfway through they'll ask, "Is it okay if i'm done." I always reply, "smoke it as long as you enjoy it." This is what the hobby is primarily about, enjoyment. The one time I got pissed is when I gave out some monty 2s and one guy lit it up took two puffs, put it out and handed it back. As if i'm going to take it and put it back in my humi. He hasn't gotten any since...

As the Dead said, "We can share what we got of yours 'cause we done shared all of mine." Unfortunately the night is usually done by the time all of mine is shared...

For me though, the worst etiquette is putting a cigar out like a cigarette. Doesn't matter if it's after an inch or at the nub. Just sinks and seems disrespectful.

That's what I'm talking about, man! Good vibes.

Most recent example, I handed a friend a 10 year old RS11 last party we had and found it sitting around only 1" in the following morning. Last one for him.....

Might have that one been a dud? I surely wouldn't expect my friends to suffer through a plugged, or off tasting cigar, and we all know that happens a time or two

Might have that one been a dud? I surely wouldn't expect my friends to suffer through a plugged, or off tasting cigar, and we all know that happens a time or two

Good point, perhaps he wasn't comfortable mentioning it.....typically I will ask how a smoke is but we had many, many people there and I didn't get a chance.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, thanks.

• Like 1

I'll have to agree with someone asking for a cigar, and then sticking it in their pocket....

I agree with this actually, I don't mind giving anyone one, but unless I specifically say its to take home the implication is that I want to smoke it with them!

Good point, perhaps he wasn't comfortable mentioning it.....typically I will ask how a smoke is but we had many, many people there and I didn't get a chance.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, thanks.

Here would the caveat for me..i like to give my cigarsout at parties etc to those have interest...i wouldnt give a 10 year old cigar though to someone unless theyhad some experience with cigars and more than just I'll have one becauseits neat, im feelin risky tonight kinda deal...i would give that cigar to go to someone whom had "some" experience and i knew had a genuine like for...a casual cigar person probably wouldnt know if they were smoking a dud...i assume this individual hadsome experience

When I am hosting a party I always have a box or full desktop out or whomever cares for a smoke.

Typically a decent C&C or smaller vitola like a Monte #4 and I'll take the true aficionados to the cabinet for another option.

I know that in the morning I'll find a few that were abandoned only an inch or two in and that's fine. It's when I hand something special to someone who's supposed to be in to cigars and they leave one to rot after 5 minutes that I get peeved.

It wasn't me ☺

Here would the caveat for me..i like to give my cigarsout at parties etc to those have interest...i wouldnt give a 10 year old cigar though to someone unless theyhad some experience with cigars and more than just I'll have one becauseits neat, im feelin risky tonight kinda deal...i would give that cigar to go to someone whom had "some" experience and i knew had a genuine like for...a casual cigar person probably wouldnt know if they were smoking a dud...i assume this individual hadsome experience

Yes, he is a regular at our card games, player and smoker.

Helped me move my Aristrocrat from our garage to the cave and I'd promised him a good smoke.

He was a little 'lit' so maybe he just forgot about it.....

I give based on the experience of the smoker.

Most of my friends can't tell the diference between a new and an aged cigar.

Hear, hear! If someone's a noob or a weekender/bubblegummer, I'll just lay a decent NC on them - La Auroras and Padrons are quite enjoyable for little coin. If someone (such as my brother) is actually into cigars, I'll lay something nice on them or take them to my humis, point out what is off-limits, and let them choose based on what jumps out at them.

Almost forgot about this one...

Had a little fishing herf with friends once. I forgot that I left boxes at a friends place, and didn't pick them up before leaving town. Without my permission, he smoked and gave out most of the cigars that I left with him. I figured the cigars would be safe with him until I picked them back up from him. The cigars were:

2002 RyJ Cazadores (he smoked through the entire box)

2002 SLR DC (he smoked through 1/4 of the cab)

1998 RyJ TPC cabinet (he smoked 1/2 the cab, and handed out some for a speed smoking contest at a herf)

1996 Monte Especiales (his wife grabbed a handful out of the box to hand out to her friends)

He gave me 25 corona gordas and a handful of plugged sticks in return for my troubles

I don't contact him anymore.

That's what I call poor etiquette.

Damn, dog - let's go fishing! You can leave your boxes at my joint and I'll only tax each box for one stick each!jester.gif

• Like 1

Interesting - I'd probably not be allowed to smoke with many of you biggrin.gif

I've cut cigars with my teeth, fingernails, knives, nails, all kinds of cutters. I've lit them with all types of implements and fuels, and use a method

in which the cigar is lit before I ever take a draw. I normally smoke with the band on, holding the cigar at the band.

I guess what I'd consider a large breach of etiquette would be taking it upon myself to tell another cigar smoker how they should smoke, or to

have someone else take it upon themselves to do the same with me.

Some stand on formality and ceremony when they smoke, which I have absolutely no problem with. I would only expect the same courtesy given

to me, whatever methods I choose.

Thankfully, on the occasions I've smoked in lounges, everyone always seems to be there to simply enjoy their cigars and some camaraderie.

2. Ken spitting in my ashtray (or ashing in my one off crystal ashtray)

That was your 9,999 post!!!!!!ok.gif

Oh boy you guys have really nailed it here! My two worst are:

1. The guy who asks for a cigar, takes the CoRo (consistently) from the offerings (which includes milder cigars) and then stubs it out after 1/4 complaining how strong it is. (Moochador now travels to occasions where I know this a-hole will be)

2. The guy who wants to taste my cigar. Dude, its my cigar. I don't want it in your mouth. GTF away from me.

Oh boy you guys have really nailed it here! My two worst are:

1. The guy who asks for a cigar, takes the CoRo (consistently) from the offerings (which includes milder cigars) and then stubs it out after 1/4 complaining how strong it is. (Moochador now travels to occasions where I know this a-hole will be)

2. The guy who wants to taste my cigar. Dude, its my cigar. I don't want it in your mouth. GTF away from me.

Right on brother! Especially asking to taste! NOT!

Because of awkward mooching, I now I ask friends who are looking at my humidor what kind of coffee they drink, what kind of drink they gravitate to, etc and try to pick something to gift them that's specific to their tastes, experience, etc. Maybe that's meddlesome, but I control my humidor and would rather make a personal experience than set up some sort of expectation, awkwardness, etc.

Crushing out a cigar is near the top of the list,just let it go out! Someone who is on there 3rd or 4th cigar of the night and then wants a rare or aged cigar. You taste buds are fried dude! Last but not least the guy at the local shop that NEVER has any CC's but try to mooch from you after you have told them how to order them multiple times!

Had a little fishing herf with friends once. I forgot that I left boxes at a friends place, and didn't pick them up before leaving town. Without my permission, he smoked and gave out most of the cigars that I left with him. I figured the cigars would be safe with him until I picked them back up from him. The cigars were:

2002 RyJ Cazadores (he smoked through the entire box)

2002 SLR DC (he smoked through 1/4 of the cab)

1998 RyJ TPC cabinet (he smoked 1/2 the cab, and handed out some for a speed smoking contest at a herf)

1996 Monte Especiales (his wife grabbed a handful out of the box to hand out to her friends)

He gave me 25 corona gordas and a handful of plugged sticks in return for my troubles

I don't contact him anymore.

That's what I call poor etiquette.

WOW absolutely reprehensible behaviour I hope he is your ex friend that would do it for me what jerk and any other expletive you coils think of

Then I would put out a contract on him Lol

Thanks for posting

I have been told it is a disgusting habit and that I should put it out by a cigarette smoker in a smoking area in a " cigar friendly" bar in sydney. They didn't react well to my response, thankfully the large gentleman taking care of security was partial to HDM Ep 2s which I was glad to share with him after he encouraged them to leave. Not really cigar etiquette but bloody annoying.

I have a few mates who are keen to have a smoke when the opportunity presents but never bought any cigars. After a couple of months of supplying them I offered them some space in my humidor and the chance to share 25 count between them. Three of them took me up on it and now have their own little stash, saved any ill feeling and I usually just grab them one from their stash when we go out and they come over to add cigars on occasion.

..Without my permission, he smoked and gave out most of the cigars that I left with him..

This has to be the "winner" of this thread.

I had a couple of boxes of cigars stolen from my house recently, but from a guy doing work who was in the house alone for a few hours. These things happen and not the end of the world.

For people who supposedly like cigars though, stealing cigars from someone who calls you a friend has to be the worst.

Unfortunately it's not the only time I've heard of this kind of thing, actually I've heard even more egregious examples. It's always scummy.

If someone mashes a cigar in an ashtray I let them know the proper way to deal with it next time. This does bother me but only for people I know should know better. 90% of the people in the world think a cigar is just a huge cigarette. Not kidding. My wife thought that for months until I told her otherwise.

I was a little bit of a double standard on this when I visited fookite in Chicago a couple weeks ago. I asked what he wanted me to bring so I brought some. He smoked a johnny O and RASCC I brought. I smoked a HUP connie he brought. He offered me a JL4 but I didn't have time to smoke it there so I left it. I left him a BPC to smoke since I left a little earlier than him. Blackhawks game was still on (3 overtime playoff game) but I had to get to a hotel yet 35 minutes away. He offered to mail it to me in text after I left but I would not feel right taking it since I was not able to smoke it there. I didn't mean any disrespect to him but taking the JL4 with me didn't seem right.

When I smoke with a couple of friends locally we always set up who is bringing what. No questions of who didn't bring what that one time etc. Are you bringing the drink? No problem I have the cigars. Having a cigar with others where you bring nothing with you, but had the chance to bring something, isn't right.

Etiquette can't be taught if you have no common sense...

My annoyances...

1. My number one... And I have conveyed it verbally on occasions... "I have access to cigars, and you have access to money because you work in a bank, but funny I dont expect you to bring money for me to spend"

2. I have a friend who does not ash (according to him it cools the smoke and makes for a better burn) to the point where he has to tilt his head to keep the ash from falling. On many occasions, ash has fallen off and onto my floor/rug/chair. No common sense = No more invites

3. Would you like to be in the vicinity of others spit? If somebody spat into my ashtray = No more invites

4. Bringing up out of nowhere, how many cigars you smoke, your wealth, the size of your humidor, cigar knoweldge/etiquette, is lame which shows very little common sense = annoying (does not apply to our conversations as this is a cigar thread)

5. Granted... People have different life-styles, income, savings etc... but on a gift-giving/goodwill level, if you can't see that you're constantly on the receiving end and do nothing about it, to me that = little common sense = poor etiquette

Finally 6. Sit back and observe what others are doing. Even in larger groups, take a look around, seek those who look comfortable and knowledgeable, ask, search online, read... then take the plunge... often in your own spare time and expense. That seems like a common sense approach to anything!!!

I'm lucky to be able to enjoy a cigar at work now and then. There are 4 of us who smoke.

1 guy knows how to sit back and enjoy...good

Of the other 2 they both puff on a cigar so fast and hard I have no idea what they get out of it, big red cherry on the end, LOL

One of them as well wets the entire wrapper with his saliva, first from one end then from the other, friggin gross.

Needless to say they smoke what they bring, I no longer can watch them ruin a good cigar that I gave them.