List the Worst of Cigar Etiquette

Glad this thread was resurrected. Some mighty entertaining stuff.

I guess I'll chime in, but most of yours' are mine. The main pet peeve I have concerning cigars is moochers who don't seem to appreciate the gift in the least, don't return the favor in some way, and don't at least say thank you. Even the guys who know how much these things cost act like they're being gifted a drug store .50cent stogie.

Screw them. I don't do that no more. If they smoke, they smoke their own damned cigars. If not, they can watch me enjoy the hell out of mine.

• Like 1

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol. Clearly this thread has aged well and is ready for smoking! Seriously though, the old internet rule against resurrecting old posts should only apply to threads that are time/date sensitive. This

Interesting - I'd probably not be allowed to smoke with many of you I've cut cigars with my teeth, fingernails, knives, nails, all kinds of cutters. I've lit them with all types of implements and

Considering a few of the new topics started buy some new members are simply met with a wall of links to old topics I don't think anyone is in place to complain about necromancy of old threads. I'm gla

Don't like sharing cigars with anyone.

Don't like when people mooch cigars and don't smoke past the 1st third

hate mooches

Can't agree with you more on moochers who drop cigars after smoking an inch of it. I always tell would be moochers that they will be obliged to buy a round of 18 y/o single malt should they fail to finish the cigar. tongue.png

Can't agree with you more on moochers who drop cigars after smoking an inch of it. I always tell would be moochers that they will be obliged to buy a round of 18 y/o single malt should they fail to finish the cigar. tongue.png

Would be nice wouldn't it? I'm not too much of a stickler, but when you ask for a cigar don't lose interest within the first inch

I really don't mind handing cigars out to friends that come round, I have a box of Monte 4s for that very reason - if I get them enjoying cigars thats another person to enjoy the hobby with!

Obviously I wouldn't give them a Diadema as a first smoke!

I really don't mind handing cigars out to friends that come round, I have a box of Monte 4s for that very reason - if I get them enjoying cigars thats another person to enjoy the hobby with!

Obviously I wouldn't give them a Diadema as a first smoke!

I've done that as well with Montecristo #4s, Partagas Shorts, Upmann Majestics and what not. Though if you really want to play with them, give them something really strong like a young RyJ Cazadores. nyah.gif

Well, everyone else seems to be enjoying the thread, but I wonder if my question (and the primary reason for the resurrection) will go unanswered! :P Perhaps I'll create a new topic to address the question (after, of course, scowering the forum vaults to see if any discussions on the subject have already taken place).

I don't have a large circle of cigar smoking friends. Generally, it's 3 of us at the most and more often than that, two of us sitting down. I like it this way but I'm sure that's because I haven't yet experienced the dynamic comaraderie of group herfing.

We generally alternate supplying sticks and spirits. It's fun and keeps the selection interesting, generating more dialogue.

Unless anyone rolls for initiative, I'll assume The Necromancer is victorious.

Way I see it, if I'm gonna smoke at a party (whether I'm hosting or not) I should be willing to provide others the same enjoyment.

You don't show up to a party with a single serving of ice cream and eat it by yourself.

If cigs smoking is unusual in your circles and you are the driving force behind it, you should be willing to share yours.

If they're regular smokers, that's different. If they only smoke with you because you always bring them, you've kinda set yourself for that expectation.

Just my two cents.

This might be rude to suggest – forgive me for being ignorant to the discourse – but if you never show up to a party with more than a cigar (or two) of your own, that doesn't seem to set any precedent for handouts.

That is, of course, assuming that your intention is not to smoke socially (or with more than one person, provided nobody's brought their own) at such a gathering.

Well, everyone else seems to be enjoying the thread, but I wonder if my question (and the primary reason for the resurrection) will go unanswered! tongue.png Perhaps I'll create a new topic to address the question (after, of course, scowering the forum vaults to see if any discussions on the subject have already taken place).

I don't have a large circle of cigar smoking friends. Generally, it's 3 of us at the most and more often than that, two of us sitting down. I like it this way but I'm sure that's because I haven't yet experienced the dynamic comaraderie of group herfing.

We generally alternate supplying sticks and spirits. It's fun and keeps the selection interesting, generating more dialogue.

Unless anyone rolls for initiative, I'll assume The Necromancer is victorious.

Defining a "true aficionado" is inevitably a highly subjective endeavor. Whether we are in the realm of the cigar, wine, beer or whisk(e)y, there are always a few individuals largely recognized as knowledgeable authorities. However, even such authorities are at times received negatively by certain parties due to their views or preferences for one sort of product over another. If anything, being considered a "true aficionado" might have more to do with popularity or likability than inherent knowledge or sophisticated taste buds.

My favourite cigar friend moved away a long time ago but we both used to always meet with our own and discuss them and anything else. It was often just the two of us but it's that passion and just equally partaking in and sharing things and experiences that defines a great herf to me. Be it 2 people or 130.

In point to Mcn's question.. I personally consider an aficionado as somebody who's very passionate, Knowledgeable and a connoisseur.

Loosely I consider myself a connoisseur aspiring to be an aficionado. I do my best to savour a cigar and taste whatever I can from it, enjoy the variations in smoke volume and strength. Dosnt mean I have a very broad palate, that I think is separate.

The aficionado however I believe could also tell you without too much difficulty the different leafs used in their cigar, the age and name virtually anything to do with what they were smoking and things related to it. Again, whether or not their a douchebag about it or not is a separate issue

• Like 1

I'm a bit of a literalist so my definition of a true aficionado matches the etymology of the word. Affection and amateur. Amateur = 'to love'.

It has more to do with affection and passion of a topic more than expertise, skill or refined palate, etc

It doesn't matter how much you know, how much you smoke, how big a humidor, or collection etc. If you have passion, you're in!

Way I see it, if I'm gonna smoke at a party (whether I'm hosting or not) I should be willing to provide others the same enjoyment.

You don't show up to a party with a single serving of ice cream and eat it by yourself.

If cigs smoking is unusual in your circles and you are the driving force behind it, you should be willing to share yours.

If they're regular smokers, that's different. If they only smoke with you because you always bring them, you've kinda set yourself for that expectation.

Just my two cents.

We may have to agree to disagree. I think people ought to be more responsible for themselves and considerate of generosity. Assuming going somewhere gets you a meal ticket of any sort dosnt say to me you innocently turn up respecting the other people there. If I go somewhere and I'm drinking beer and the person I've met is drinking rum and coke I don't expect them to call next shout and buy me a rum.

That said I go somewhere and somebody offers me a drink or anything I say thankyou and either ask what I can do in return or be sure I take note so I can quietly give them something on another occasion. I really like it I buy my own.

Humour me. You've drank only orange cordial your entire life. You go to a friends place who's drinking a fine single malt and he offers you a tumbler. Sunlight in a glass you think, fantastic! You keep drinking your orange cordial and never buy yourself a bottle or even a glass of this "whisky" but you get excited any excuse you get to go to your friend the whiskey fairies to mooch a shot of sunlight. You also never offer him any of the chocolate you enjoy in exchange or anything else because you know he eats stale bread so isn't starving and besides if he wanted it or to try it he could go get some surely?

To clarify my point.. As the debtor in me must.. I think if you roll around with the idea that if somebody wants to enjoy something they should pay for you too as well is tasteless and shows a great lack of class.

Example in point if I drank orange cordial.. The next time I visited the whisky fairy I'd take a bottle of whisky incase he'd like to drink some with me. If not I had some to enjoy and share with a first timer myself.

There's a saying I'm loosely getting at here, or maybe it's a mantra.. But I can't remember it.. Too much orange cordial?

It's something like you can only be ignorant once and after that it's too late for sorry because you should have learnt.

You got a cigar from me last time? Know I'll be there this time? Bring your own to share the company and experience otherwise double dippers are just showing their class.

This might be rude to suggest – forgive me for being ignorant to the discourse – but if you never show up to a party with more than a cigar (or two) of your own, that doesn't seem to set any precedent for handouts.

That is, of course, assuming that your intention is not to smoke socially (or with more than one person, provided nobody's brought their own) at such a gathering.

Well, I wouldn't show up to a party expecting to go smoke a cigar by myself. I could stay home to do that, and it would be rude to the host for me to do so.

However if I want to get a group to smoke that normally doesn't, it's on me to provide the smokes. If I do that a number of times, or on a regular basis, it shouldn't come as a surprise that folks begin to expect it, especially if it's the same group.

These days I bring a few JLPs or Quinteros if I want to get a herf going. Both are cheap, decent enough to share, non-experienced smokers enjoy the flavors, and they're genuine Cubans, which folks think is nifty.

If there are smokers in the group, I text or call and say "hey, bring your smokes." If there aren't, I assume that if I want to herf I'm gonna be the one making it happen.

I'm a bit of a literalist so my definition of a true aficionado matches the etymology of the word. Affection and amateur. Amateur = 'to love'.

It has more to do with affection and passion of a topic more than expertise, skill or refined palate, etc

It doesn't matter how much you know, how much you smoke, how big a humidor, or collection etc. If you have passion, you're in!

You hit the nail on the head. When I go over to my in-laws, I provide for my father-in-law and my brother-in-law, and anyone else who may happen to be there and want to partake. On the other hand, I never go there without being fed, sometimes multiple meals. I have no problem providing, because I know that they appreciate it. If they didn't I wouldn't really want to smoke with them. Neither of them has a humidor, nor any collection, but they really enjoy smoking, and are happy to smoke whatever I bring.

• Like 1

For the sake of middle ground.. If I invited somebody knowingly who.didn't smoke to an evening dedicated too smoking I intern would expect to give them a cigar.. Any other social setting and I think it's personal choice. If I were drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes I wouldn't expect to have to lash out for everyone.

My favourite pet peeve used to be the smoky pub where we had to endure cigarettes for years and finally having a cigar in the corner, only to raise the ire of both the smokers and the proprietors. Mostly quit drinking there out of protest. In retrospect, I can see the issue from a wider perspective, but I still consider that a double-standard.

Another thing that kills me is an unnoticed runaway canoe.

Almost forgot about this one...

Had a little fishing herf with friends once. I forgot that I left boxes at a friends place, and didn't pick them up before leaving town. Without my permission, he smoked and gave out most of the cigars that I left with him. I figured the cigars would be safe with him until I picked them back up from him. The cigars were:

2002 RyJ Cazadores (he smoked through the entire box)

2002 SLR DC (he smoked through 1/4 of the cab)

1998 RyJ TPC cabinet (he smoked 1/2 the cab, and handed out some for a speed smoking contest at a herf)

1996 Monte Especiales (his wife grabbed a handful out of the box to hand out to her friends)

He gave me 25 corona gordas and a handful of plugged sticks in return for my troubles

I don't contact him anymore.

That's what I call poor etiquette.

• Like 1

Had a little fishing herf with friends once. I forgot that I left boxes at a friends place, and didn't pick them up before leaving town. Without my permission, he smoked and gave out most of the cigars that I left with him. I figured the cigars would be safe with him until I picked them back up from him. The cigars were:

1998 RyJ TPC cabinet (he smoked 1/2 the cab, and handed out some for a speed smoking contest at a herf)

1996 Monte Especiales (his wife grabbed a handful out of the box to hand out to her friends)

He gave me 25 corona gordas and a handful of plugged sticks in return for my troubles

That's not just poor etiquette - thats poor behaviour, disregard for someone's possessions and a complete breach of trust, on what planet would someone think that's okay??
  • Like 1

DUDE. That sucks!

You win, that's disgusting. I actually feel sick just reading what you wrote :(

What on earth was his excuse??

When you've found a quiet corner outside to enjoy a smoke, and people sit down at an adjacent table and start pulling faces at your cigar smoke. That's just rude, and makes me want to swear at them.

In terms of cigar etiquette, I dislike people presuming to tell me how to smoke a cigar. I'll light however I please, and I'll touch up the burn when I'm good and ready, thank you.

That's what I call an *******. Jesus.

I don't think it would be poor etiquette to give him a nice friendly punching

That's bullsh..t behaviour man, what an arse

Sorry, just reading that made me angry, and aged sticks no less.

As for attending a gathering with others, I don't really see why I should be prepared to supply cigars because I have them and others don't. If there are people there I want to smoke with cool, I'll share with them.

Moochers don't bother me too much, I always tend to have an extra or two on hand when fishing or going to a football game to share with those who express interest. Sometimes halfway through they'll ask, "Is it okay if i'm done." I always reply, "smoke it as long as you enjoy it." This is what the hobby is primarily about, enjoyment. The one time I got pissed is when I gave out some monty 2s and one guy lit it up took two puffs, put it out and handed it back. As if i'm going to take it and put it back in my humi. He hasn't gotten any since...

As the Dead said, "We can share what we got of yours 'cause we done shared all of mine." Unfortunately the night is usually done by the time all of mine is shared...

For me though, the worst etiquette is putting a cigar out like a cigarette. Doesn't matter if it's after an inch or at the nub. Just sinks and seems disrespectful.

• Like 1