List the Worst of Cigar Etiquette

1. "friends" asking me why i spend so much money on cigars.

2. "friends" asking me why i just dont smoke black and milds. -i have actually smacked someone for this comment.

3. giving a "friend" a cc that i know isnt too strong for them, will fit well after the meal we jsut had, than watching them take 2 puffs and are done with it.

ken-spit in my ashtray any time you want, but only if you take my fly fishing first! i really need a salmon for my wall.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol. Clearly this thread has aged well and is ready for smoking! Seriously though, the old internet rule against resurrecting old posts should only apply to threads that are time/date sensitive. This

Interesting - I'd probably not be allowed to smoke with many of you I've cut cigars with my teeth, fingernails, knives, nails, all kinds of cutters. I've lit them with all types of implements and

Considering a few of the new topics started buy some new members are simply met with a wall of links to old topics I don't think anyone is in place to complain about necromancy of old threads. I'm gla

LOL I wish I had played tennis today. Best part of this morning's round was a RASS on the front and a Connie #3 on the back. Nothing else worth mentioning (oh yeah, the course, Pinehills Jones Course in Plymouth, MA was absolutely gorgeous, and my buddy had a 2-for-1 email rate special... the price was right, but my swing was in the dumper).

Rick

You know its funny but golf is the one thing I take serious enough that if I have a bad round then I won't smoke the cigar I was having when I was playing bad for a few weeks as it reminds me of my crappy play.

... Abandoning a cigar because of an off golf game... definitely bad cigar etiquette!

We've got a guy that smokes his cigar to a nub then gets out his multi-tool and clips it and smokes til there is almost nothing left(seriously I've thrown out bigger roaches in my day). he smokes 5 or 6 when he comes in and won't let the waiter empty his ashtray he actually thinks the term "Nice Ash" means the pile he amasses in the ashtray!

Don't know if that's bad etiquette or just "dumb ass redneck"

I have a picture somewhere would love to share if I can find it.

UNsolicted advice on how you think one should cut - light - smoke a cigar, in the company of others.

Those that think a smoking establishment of any kind is for cigars only - do you think all ciggy smokers enjoy our aroma (no I'm not a ciggy burner) - smokers rights my man, we're a dying breed so stick together

Pissin off my deck whilst I'm standing there - at least wait till I go around the side of the house to pee in the bushes in private

Smoke what you like and don't knock what I smoke ya pompous ass

If you accept a cigar from me then a simple thanks is enough, I don't expect a 20 min explanation of how said stick would have tasted better at a different humidity and storage conditions.

When my wife quizzes you about my cigar spending habits - for fuks sakes LIE!

Lighting a cigar with a bic lighter is horrible etiquette IMO

I've heard this before, can someone tell me why? It's the same fuel I put in my torches, yes?

Maybe this is weird, but I hate it when waiters empty the ashtray before I've finished the cigar. I like to see the ash, measure it against the next piece, look at the colour of it in the ashtray. Kind of like a progress report...

Though I guess for many of you, this would not be an issue as you can't smoke in restaurants...

Ok guys, I didn't mean to offend anyone with my bic comment, I'm sorry if I did. When I first started smoking cigars, I did a lot of reading of books and magazines regarding every aspect of smoking cigars and the experience around it. I can recall countless articles where it was said to never light a cigar with anything but an odorless lighter or wooden matches so I have followed that ever since... not because it said so but because I have lit many cigars with plain old lighters and have always experienced an upleasant taste from the fuel and in some cases a burnt thumb :2thumbs: I think there is a constant undertone of snobbishness when it comes to smoking cigars which some gravitate to and other shy away from. Personally I couldn't care less what people think about when I smoke, what I'm smoking or what accessories I'm using. I don't flaunt my labels or look down on someone smoking a NC. I'm purely in this hobby for the enjoyment and discovery of new cigars. The accessories offered to cigar smokers are there to enhance the experience of our hobby. For some it does, others not so much.

So going back to my original comment and after viewing replies and giving it some thought... I think this is more of a personal choice than "horrible ettiquete" because frankly if I was at a herf and I saw someone using a bic I would think to myself (butane is the move) but could not care less if you used a burning napkin to light your cigar although it would be interesting to watch! I hope this clarifies my comment and makes some sense.

Now back to the main topic:

Plastic ashtrays are just intolerable!! I'M JOKING :)

I know some feel that how one handles / treats a cigar shows respect or a lack thereof for those who have produced it. I do respect the people,

time, care, and labor it takes - in some ways I consider it an art form, or at least a combination of science and art. And in that regard I certainly

appreciate what a cigar can represent. But I'm not sure I have a reverence for a cigar in and of itself, though as I think about it, I don't know if

I can completely separate the two......

When I travel home to see my folks I usually take a handful of cigars to share. My uncle is always first to ask for one and he's always first to rub his out. AFTER ONLY A QUARTER IS GONE! (if you can't tell, I'm pissed thinking about it)

Anther pet peeve is sharing with someone who bites and slobbers. There's no need for that. Bite your own damn cigar. :)

1) Handing someone a beautifully made pyramid

and then they snip off 2"... I actually silently apologize to the roller.

2) Tapping the ash off every 30 seconds

And I like the band on - I'm not smoking for someone else so I dont care if they see what I am smoking,

plus it helps keep the wrapper together, reminds me what I am smoking,

its part of the visual smoking experience,

and taking it off to early can trash a good wrapper.

Why should you care if if others see you are smoking a Cohiba or a Backwoods?

(oh, thats right, they dont have a band...)

• Like 1

Bic is odorless butane. Nice soft flame for initial toasting, although it does get hot.

I have never shared a cigar with anyone. I either tell them I don't do that or hand it to them and fire up another. No one ever seems offended, and if they secretly are, oh well...

I really don't have a problem with anything anyone does with their own cigars. They can put them on a hot dog bun and smear them with ketchup and mustard if that's how they enjoy them. The only thing I have seen here that would bother me (never seen it done) is someone using an ashtray as a spittoon.

People who ask for one of your cigars that's never smoked a cigar before and destroys it, and my father who used to put his half smoked cigars back in a humidor to keep it fresh...........................................................................

Ok guys, I didn't mean to offend anyone with my bic comment, I'm sorry if I did. When I first started smoking cigars, I did a lot of reading of books and magazines regarding every aspect of smoking cigars and the experience around it. I can recall countless articles where it was said to never light a cigar with anything but an odorless lighter or wooden matches so I have followed that ever since... not because it said so but because I have lit many cigars with plain old lighters and have always experienced an upleasant taste from the fuel and in some cases a burnt thumb :2thumbs: I think there is a constant undertone of snobbishness when it comes to smoking cigars which some gravitate to and other shy away from. Personally I couldn't care less what people think about when I smoke, what I'm smoking or what accessories I'm using. I don't flaunt my labels or look down on someone smoking a NC. I'm purely in this hobby for the enjoyment and discovery of new cigars. The accessories offered to cigar smokers are there to enhance the experience of our hobby. For some it does, others not so much.

So going back to my original comment and after viewing replies and giving it some thought... I think this is more of a personal choice than "horrible ettiquete" because frankly if I was at a herf and I saw someone using a bic I would think to myself (butane is the move) but could not care less if you used a burning napkin to light your cigar although it would be interesting to watch! I hope this clarifies my comment and makes some sense.

Justin I can tell you that Bics are the backbone of cigar lighting in Cuba !LOL!

When you wander through the backstreets of Havana you will run across thriving little enterprises who strip Bics, refill them and sell them.

The fuel is odourless and the flame soft. They are fine to light a cigar with as long as you are outside of the wind.

A couple of million Cubans can't be wrong :)

• Like 1

I'm a ******... a misinformed ****** who read too much and believed what I read from some other misinformed people. Thank you for clearing this up, this is why I'm on the forums though, to learn from all of you. I can say that I PREFER a torch to a soft flame. Now I will shut up.... carry on :blush:

• Like 1

When I travel home to see my folks I usually take a handful of cigars to share. My uncle is always first to ask for one and he's always first to rub his out. AFTER ONLY A QUARTER IS GONE! (if you can't tell, I'm pissed thinking about it)

simple answer. next time you head that way, get a cheapie and cut it into quarters. when your uncle asks, hand them over and tell him you brought four for him and he won't have to worry about not finishing them. if he doesn't get the message, give up.

UNLESS he is filthy rich and has no other relatives. in which case, let him stub out your best cohibas any time he likes.

• Like 1

simple answer. next time you head that way, get a cheapie and cut it into quarters. when your uncle asks, hand them over and tell him you brought four for him and he won't have to worry about not finishing them. if he doesn't get the message, give up.

UNLESS he is filthy rich and has no other relatives. in which case, let him stub out your best cohibas any time he likes.

Ha!

Or how about just giving him a half corona Ken? :thumbsup:

For me its got to be:

1. Giving a buddy a smoke and they just pocket it... happens way too often... and these are the guys who don't have a humidor at home, so within a couple of hours here in Beijing's ambient environment that stick is going to be more or less unsmokable. :D

2. Anyone putting anything in my ashtray other than my cigar ash :thumbsup: