Deep Dive: Cohiba Siglo 1

El Presidente

Cohiba Siglo 1   

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Cohiba Siglo 1 

Perhaps low on value these days but they are always high on flavour. 

Cohiba Siglo 1 is perhaps no tthe most elegant of the Cohiba line up, but it can deliver a wickedly good, full flavoured 40 minute palate explosion. 

Cohiba Siglo 1 

• Do you like Cohiba Siglo 1 
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Cohiba Siglo 1 
  • Do the poll!

Cohiba Siglo 1  :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

Cohiba Siglo 1 PSP JUL 19 .jpg

While I enjoy the cigar, I have never gotten it. It’s a format thing and not being able to abstract myself from the value thought. When they are good can be fantastic but can’t get to enjoy them as much as some of the larger vitolas in the line. Truth be told, I have only smoked them young so I may be just not looking at the whole picture. 
🥲

The only regular production Cohiba I’ve never bothered with. The format/price ratio was already out of whack in the BC era and has now ascended entirely to La-La Land. Can confidently say the only way I’ll ever smoke one is if it’s gifted.

Am I missing out? Maybe, but I doubt it. 

• Like 3

I get it and enjoy this little bugger. Take it for face value, strong coffee with a little cream. Some glimpses of sweetness. Smoke it fresh for more kick, rest ‘‘em for a little smoother experience. New pricing makes them tough to swallow. They fit nicely for a “special” short smoke and fit my rotation with part shorts and boli cj.

Ended up voting ‘don’t get it’. But I do like them. You just can’t take pricing out of it and that’s why this one doesn’t make sense to me anymore. The Siglo 1 is the least complex one of the bunch and compared to other cigars of this size it’s probably not even the best. Other Cohibas that are more complex or more differentiating, I’ll still buy. But for the Siglo 1 the value just isn’t there anymore.

They’re good fresh, or with a little rest. But haven’t noticed any improvement after 3 years. Haven’t smoked enough of them to have noticed a possible blend change. They last me 40-45 mins on average.

• Like 1

I would concur that the Cohiba Siglo I has the most strength and least complexity within the Linea 1492 range. They take a long time for the blend to noticeably change too in comparison to other Siglo cigars. Look, they're not a bad cigar but realistically if you are 'itching' for Cohiba for whatever reason you're probably likely to reach for something else before you'd settle for a Siglo I.

• Like 4

Maybe I am missing something to get this cigar. I had two of them, in different occasions and different age and still felt like it was an “empty” experience. They’re always pricey in my opinion compared to other Cohiba vitolas and never understood what the marca was trying to sell us in this little guy.

Like I said, don’t know if am I missing something or this cigar just isn’t for me. Love Cohibas, but I would never buy this cigar ever again with current prices. Even with older prices I just can’t justify buying these. 

12 hours ago, Nevrknow said:

Never got these either. Love small formats time wise. But grabbed some young ones when I first started. Then some 17’s when they came up. No difference to me. I’d rather have a Reyes every time. 🤷

Ditto.

I’m not a perlas or minuto guy.  I’ve never been able to take the vitola seriously. Include minutos in there as well. And, I’d rather not have cigars around that I can grab impulsively for a short smoke. Better for me to have to think about the time the cigar will take to smoke and have to plan a bit for it.

• Like 1

I get this one. I agree with @JohnS that the Siglo I is the strongest of the Siglo line. I like to enjoy this one with a coffee when there wasn't a lot of time. I don't think I will ever buy a box again due the price hike, plus I learned over time that I greatly prefer Exquisito to the Siglo I for that coffee and Cohiba time. 

• Like 1

Although I preferred the Exquisitos I had a great affection for the Siglo I. Agree that it's the strongest Siglo and it always seemed very consistent to me. A great small cigar and probably the only Cohiba I could smoke every day. 

As someone who voted “I get it” here’s my point of view: The Siglo I is a Cohiba designed for more casual / quick situations. I like them because they are more affordable than the Medio Siglo and short enough to enjoy when out over a coffee or beer… or if it’s just too damn hot/cold to sit outside for an hour to enjoy a nice smoke. Either way I get why some may prefer a Monte 4 or other PC for this situation, I do find them useful to have a few laying around for when the time is right.