Deep Dive: Partagas 898 Varnished

El Presidente

Partagas 898 Varnished   

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Partagas 898 Varnished 

Thay have been scarce for a number of years but many of us are familiar enough witht this cigar. Those who are not can take the lead of the old timers :D Let's pray that they make their way back into a regular supply situation. 

• Do you like  Partagas 898 Varnished 
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Partagas 898 Varnished 
  • Do the poll!

Let's talk Partagas 898 V! :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

I mean, to me this is the cigar that defines Partagas. A bit brash when young, but absolutely showcases the Partagas spice. But haven't been able to get a box in 2-3 years now. 

• Like 3

Did you ever get stung by a wasp and decide you were going to steer clear of wasps? Partagas is my favorite marca, if one can say such a thing and a long skinny is my favorite size. That said, I bought a box of 898 varnished around 2013-2014, 25 sticks, all hopelessly plugged. I even bought a Perfectdraw in an attempt to save the remaining 3 but even that was of little help. Around here, we call it "gun shy."

A very good Partagas. Probably in the same class as the Lusi although there is probably more inconsistency with the 898. It's rare to get a lackluster Lusi. I've had plenty of blah 898s. I do think the blend is unique although 100% Partagas. I would say it's almost like a Shorts and a Presidentes combined. 

As good as they are I don't think the 898 quite lives to the hype, legend or scarcity. I think they've developed a mystique that isn't totally deserved. The truth is that the 898 is a very good regular production cigar, nothing more and nothing less.

• Like 4

The first Cuban dragon tale I started to chase after getting a stick from a generous member here who was kind enough to introduce me to different marcas and Vitolas. I believe I had a holy crap moment - this must be what Cubans are all about. Glad to have been able to secure a few boxes in the “before times”. I think what I have now may be my lifetime supply unfortunately 

• Like 3

I love the size and have a couple of boxes resting, but when I've smoked em I've never found them exemplary compared to the rest of the range. 

They are as rare as hen's teeth these days, so I'm not hating...just wish they was more around for people to smoke

This

10 hours ago, jakebarnes said:

I mean, to me this is the cigar that defines Partagas. A bit brash when young, but absolutely showcases the Partagas spice. But haven't been able to get a box in 2-3 years now. 

and this

4 hours ago, El Presidente said:

The 898 makes a big statement. It doesn't even try to be everything to everybody. It is no San Juan, Rio Seco, Monte Edmundo.

pretty much sums it up for me. 👏

A cigar that needs proper maturing. Love’em. What I call a serious cigar. There’s a certain time and place (mood) for smoking it. 2007/2008 production had been stellar (unfortunately few left). For me, up there in the same line with other all-time greats such as 2003 des Dieux, OR Fundie. Still, my first and eternal secret love will remain the MdO2.

• Like 1

I found them way too strong for me in my younger years and never really aged any. I remember the SDC line and how good they were in 2008. I can't imagine how good an 898 from 2008 would be. Strong Partagas profile. I have tried a few since and enjoyed them a lot but haven't tried enough to make an accurate comparison or review. Spice, twang, maybe some Christmas pudding at their best. Cheers

15 minutes ago, Fugu said:

2007/2008 production had been stellar (unfortunately few left)

Agree this was a magical period of production for the 898. The blend or available tobaccos had the perfect combination of savoury umami, forest floor, but also a back bone of sweetness and bitter tannins, to balance.  They were dark and brooding. 

post 2008 I believe like lots of CC's they have become a little too sweet and milder.  When Partagas are too sweet they go past that sweet paprika point, and become a bit marshmallowy and fonseca like, and it doesn't suit the MO of what this cigar is designed to be.  A full bodied after dinner smoke, that leaves you sated with a bit of nic hit. 

• Like 2

I enjoy the 898's. Agree on 08s. Had a couple 10 cts I smoked on while aging a 25er. Bought another box in 14 but horrendous construction. Jury out on 20's. Have 3 boxes I have yet to touch. Still I would take a 50 cab of the old discoed Party Lonsdales over 898's. 

Rob, it's been several years now, but I recall laughing when you once said about the 898: "It is going to be your last cigar of the day". That sums it up, although vintages since around 2014 seem to have a bit less starch to them. But one of my favorite smokes.

Partagas is my favorite brand. Dalias are my favorite vitola. Partagas 8-9-8 was my favorite Cuban cigar when they were readily available and sub-$300. Now that they pop up maybe once a year, they take a backseat to Sir Winstons and other premium, limited production cigars.

I like the description as the best of Partagas Short and Presidentes. Twang, Partagas spice, forest floor and mushroom, and leather, with a tendency to be full bodied and rich (caveat: haven’t dipped into the 2021 box yet).

• Like 2

One of my first CC acquisitions. I haven’t had one in a very long time and couldn’t really comment on the cigar. I do have a box resting. 

19 hours ago, mprach024 said:

This is a top 3 Cuban for me.  Assuming construction is on point.  Sir Winston, 898, and Fundy are my top 3 that I will buy any time I see one no matter how many I have (which is not enough).  

This. 

This was my father’s favorite after dinner cigar. My arts class project as a little kid I used a box of his as base…I will share a pic, need to find it. 

I love this cigar. I haven’t seen a box in over 5 years now…

• Like 3

On 9/9/2022 at 3:26 PM, PuroDiario said:

This was my father’s favorite after dinner cigar. My arts class project as a little kid I used a box of his as base…I will share a pic, need to find it. 

I love this cigar. I haven’t seen a box in over 5 years now…

Ditto. Used to love this cigar but have moved on.