MoeFOH's Movie of the Week... Week #25

MoeFOH's Movie of the Week 🎥

Each week we're going to spotlight a movie... be it a classic, new release, hidden gem, or outright turd... and open it for discussion: i.e. post up your favourite quotes, clips, memories... or dive deeper and give us a critique on why you think it's great, overrated, or a complete train wreck... And finally score it for us... :looking: 

All contributors go into a monthly prize draw for a 3-cigar sampler! :cigar:

PM me with suggestions if there's a movie you want to nominate for next week's discussion. :thumbsup:

Week #25: The Blues Brothers

Moe says: 

Who wants an Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Orange Whip? 3 Orange Whips. 

Wiki says: The Blues Brothers is a 1980 American musical comedy film directed by John Landis. It stars John Belushi as "Joliet" Jake Blues and Dan Aykroyd as his brother Elwood, characters developed from the recurring musical sketch "The Blues Brothers" on NBC variety series Saturday Night Live. The film is set in and around Chicago, Illinois, where it was filmed, and the screenplay was written by Aykroyd and Landis. It features musical numbers by rhythm and blues (R&B), soul, and blues singers James Brown, Cab Calloway (in his final feature film role), Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Chaka Khan, and John Lee Hooker. It features non-musical supporting performances by Carrie Fisher, Henry Gibson, Charles Napier, Kathleen Freeman and John Candy.

The story is a tale of redemption for paroled convict Jake and his blood brother Elwood, who set out on "a mission from God" to prevent foreclosure of the Roman Catholic orphanage in which they were raised. To do so, they must reunite their R&B band and organize a performance to earn $5,000 needed to pay the orphanage's property tax bill. Along the way, they are targeted by a homicidal "mystery woman", Neo-Nazis, and a country and western band—all while being relentlessly pursued by the police.

Universal Studios, which had won the bidding war for the film, was hoping to take advantage of Belushi's popularity in the wake of Saturday Night Live, the film Animal House, and The Blues Brothers' musical success; it soon found itself unable to control production costs. The start of filming was delayed when Aykroyd, who was new to film screenwriting, took six months to deliver a long and unconventional script that Landis had to rewrite before production, which began without a final budget. On location in Chicago, Belushi's partying and drug use caused lengthy and costly delays that, along with the destructive car chases depicted onscreen, made the final film one of the most expensive comedies ever produced.

Due to concerns that the film would fail, its initial bookings were less than half of those similar films normally received. Released in the United States on June 20, 1980, it received mostly positive reviews from critics and grossed over $115 million in theaters worldwide before its release on home video, and has become a cult classic over the years. A sequel, Blues Brothers 2000, was released in 1998 to critical and commercial failure. In 2020, The Blues Brothers was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant.

Over to you...

How do you rate it? Favourite scenes?

Best moments?... etc, and so on... post 'em up!!

Give us your score out of 10!

:perfect10:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"We are on a mission from God."

Such a great movie. The music alone makes the movie for me. Add in some comedy and campy action sequences, and you have one guilty pleasure movie.  10/10 for fun

• Like 2

Love this movie.  Saw it at least a dozen times as a kid. Belushi  falling down the stairs while in a school desk is comedy gold.  Carrie Fischer as a nun was fun. . And yes, the music was great too.  10/10 for me 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Phenomenal movie, fantastic cast, best car chase scene, best nazi jumping off bridge scene, best soundtrack. 

Perfect 10. The music and comedy combo makes this a spiritual experience. All my blues melt away when the Brothers go on 'play'.

In Chi town in a couple weeks. It'll be hard to not reenact a sceene or two.

Great pic @MoeFOH!

Cheers

• Like 1

Was this the first major Hollywood film to feature characters first introduced on the TV Show, 'Saturday Night Live'? I believe it may have been. Apart, from 'Wayne's World', it would have to be the best of all the films that had characters from SNL. 10 out of 10.

2 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Was this the first major Hollywood film to feature characters first introduced on the TV Show, 'Saturday Night Live'? I believe it may have been. Apart, from 'Wayne's World', it would have to be the best of all the films that had characters from SNL. 10 out of 10.

john, i have no idea but i am guessing animal house? 

• Thanks 1

10 for me. It’s fun to see all the familiar places around Chicago and the burbs. A friends brother was an extra in the scene at Phil’s beach in Wauconda. “You want I should scrape the dead bugs off your windshield?” 🤣

Alright. I'm in a seedy hotel room, I have a 12 pack of cheap beer and I'm bored, so here goes...

Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi both came out of Chicago's Second City Comedy circuit. At the time, there was a Minneapolis group called The Lamont Cranston Band that was making the Mid West touring scene. A bunch of white guys wearing black suits, thin ties and fedora hats. Good horn section! Fronted by Pat Hayes with his brother Larry, they played a Rhythm and Blues review. For historians, Lamont Cranston was the radio actor that played "The Shadow" on the '40's radio program "The Shadow Knows." Apparently, Dan Aykroyd saw the Cranston's  show and thought "what a great idea!" 

The Blues Brothers was and is what every working musician goes through in some way. We all have to coax our old mates back to the fold somehow, after something broke it apart. We have all been booked into the wrong club for what we were playing. We all had to go back to mom (Nun) to seek redemption, if not a few bucks that she could spare for food... We all have had to use old contacts " Yeah, Pete. He got us Loring Park, got us 1st Avenue, I got him laid. He owes me!!!"  We all had crazy ex-girlfriends that somehow end up where you least expect them...

While I've never ended up in an all out police chase, I have played behind a fence in front of the stage, had beer bottles thrown at me, pulled out songs that we barely knew just to stop the bottles. 

Some years after the Cranstons broke up, I was in a band with Pat Hayes' brother Larry. We called him "Hard Pockets" because he always wore a leather vest with two 5th's of Jack Daniels in the pockets. I was the youngest by far in those days and didn't understand the rules. Soft drinks were free for the band, but beer was full price. It went something like this; Larry, here's your $200 for the 4 nights, Jim, here's your $200, Charlie, you owe $42.50 for the bar tab!  "I'll just go out to the car and write a traveler's check..."

While The Blues Brothers was a creation from the minds of Dan Aykroyd and John Landis, in many ways it doesn't stray far from the truth. Every time I watch it, it reminds me of something from my sordid past.

11/10

<Edit> The last paying gig before I left Atlanta was at the largest Catholic church in the metro area. I did the 10:00 am and 12:00. The 8:00 was too early...

• Like 1