Deep Dive: Quai D'Orsay Coronas

El Presidente

Quai D'Orsay Coronas   

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Deep Dive: Quai D'Orsay Coronas 

I love this cigar and they have always been a favourite among FOH regulars. 

Flavour and value has been their trademark.With a few years down they were (to me) the flavour equal of any cigar. 

Now my opinion on this cigar certainly wasn't shared by all. 

Let's talk Quai D'Orsay Coronas

• Do you like the Quai D'Orsay Coronas
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Quai D'Orsay Coronas
  • Do the poll!

Quai D'Orsay Coronas :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES

8 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

this has been such a rare cigar...at least in the last number of years. I'm curious how many brothers actually have experience with this cigar. 

certainly very few around since 2020. 

Good news is that there are a few April 22's floating around. I hope we get to put some up on 2424. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I started smoking in 2016. I've never seen this marca offered (in any quantity) in the last 6 years. 

I'm assuming you have to go back 10+ years before it was commonly available? 

Just now, Hammer Smokin' said:

I started smoking in 2016. I've never seen this marca offered (in any quantity) in the last 6 years. 

I'm assuming you have to go back 10+ years before it was commonly available? 

They were in semi decent numbers following the relaunch in 2017. 

Disappeared entirely (from our area at least)  by mid 2019. 

• Thanks 2

I still have two partial boxes from 14 and 16. I've smoked through boxes from 13 and 16(2). I really liked the old blend, I dont know if it changed with the Re launch as I've never been able to get my hands on even a single stick with the news bands. 

The 2013 box in particular was amazing, I had never before and havent since tasted such clear "Orange Creamsicle" flavor in a cigar before. They where amazing. I have had that orange/citrus creamy flavor in other boxes, but never as clear and sweet as the box from 2013. In general, they've always been light, creamy, and smooth to my pallet. Some honey like sweetness around the edges. Definitely on the lighter side of Medium. I love Coronas in general and these where one of my favorites. 

• Like 1

I use to smoke the shit out of these years ago.  They were one of the '01's that were still well rolled.  Went through many boxes from '99-'03 or so.  They then fell off the map for while and came back around 10 years ago.  Some of the magic was lost.  Reminded me of a poor man's Cohiba.  The reintroduction of QdO is even a further step from their former self.  The corona was/is the best of their line up. 

I’ve never had the pleasure of trying one. I’ve tried to snag the few times they appeared on 24:24, but always missed out. I really wish I could, seen some excellent reviews.

I found out about them here on FOH first and then found them at a local B&M, at a surprisingly fair price. The few I've tried have been very classy and pleasant. Good amount of flavors.

If someone would have taken the band off and handed to me to blind taste I would have guessed Cohiba without a doubt. 

20210622_150620.jpg.cd9fb8093d425c29dec27bab26097308.jpg

20210622_151043.jpg.6c986d33cb4ce64a08d49f912ad5de55.jpg

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

In my view, the rebranded Quai d'Orsay Coronas have indeed had a blend change. Whereas the old banded Quai d'Orsay Coronas were definitely mild orange citrus and shortbread delights, these new ones are more like the Quai d'Orsay Nos. 50 and 54. In fact, I'd say there's a progression that goes something like QDO 50, QDO 54 and QDO Coronas in terms of strength and body from fullest to lighest; with all three sharing a similar butter brioche and ginger profile to some degree.

Also, I'd add that there's a woodiness to these Quai d'Orsay Coronas that certainly wasn't there in the old-banded versions.

Totally agree on blend change. I have a few boxes of 19s and going to see how they progress. Every time I have one I think to myself they need a ton more age. Reality is I am comparing them to 15-20 yrs ago. Time will tell. 

• Like 2

Have not had the new-label Coronas, so I can't say anything about a blend or profile change but I do suspect John S's conclusions are on the money. The old ones were unique, blended supposedly for "the French market" whatever that was intended to mean. You get lightly toasted fresh baked bread and yeasty champagne. Nothing at all like the current 50 and 54. A personal favorite and I am sadly moving through my last box of '16s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Years ago I picked up a box of Coronas OGA NOV 11 from LFTH. Decided to hold them for ten years after watching the FOH video review and It was mentioned they are at their best with around 10 years on them. Very classy cigar at that age. Cracked the box for my 30th birthday in Nov 2021. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

20 years ago I thought they were one of the ‘best bang for your buck’ cigars available. Most cigar enthusiasts I interacted with back then were smoking them fresh and lovin them. Most boxes I smoked through were nice for a bit before going through a very pronounced ‘sick’ spell within the first year lasting about 4-6 months. 
At some point I picked up a few boxes on sale and laid a couple down for several years. Started to shine after 3 years and we’re sparkling at 5+. Still had some with the old band when the relaunch occurred but never purchased nor smoked one with the new bands. (Loved the old ‘Old School’ band) I recall a bit of sticker shock when the new bands were released. I’m curious to read all the comments from those who’ve smoked both.

On 8/4/2022 at 11:18 AM, BoliDan said:

Not a fan of any QdOs. I have a half box left, but they just do nothing for me. The rise to a premium marca boggles me.

Old band or new release?

Haven’t tried a new one but the old Claro’s were spectacular!

I was able to find a TUA '20 box (slightly overpriced) a few months ago. I've only tried one from it, but even younger it was very good. I'd like let them rest a bit longer. I never had an old one, so can't compare to that. Seeing these comments on scarcity Im glad I snagged these :)

• Like 1

I managed to snag three boxes at the end of last year, all with TUA NOV 20 codes and paid dearly for them - over $400 a box.  QdOC (queue-docs?) are among my favorite cigars and I find myself reaching for them more often than a CoRo when looking for the profile.  Not sure if I'm the odd man out on this one but I prefer the current blend to the previous one.  I think it smokes better young and (seems to) maintain richness in flavors with time down.  My last boxes of these were ULA 2014 codes and I wouldn't have wanted them to get any older.