Deep Dive: H. Upmann Half Corona

El Presidente

H. Upmann Half Corona   

134 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

H. Upmann Half Corona 

I have had some cracking H. Upmann Half Corona of late (My cigar experience of May 2022) but it is a cigar that I have struggled with since release. The size isn't really in my wheelhouse but it is a forum favourite and a global winner for HSA. 

Let's talk H. Upmann Half Corona 

• Do you like  H. Upmann Half Corona 
  • Where does it stand in the ranks of other Half Corona
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a H. Upmann Half Corona?
  • Do the poll!

H. Upmann Half Corona ! :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

Size wise I find them a waste of time,  you find  yourself half way through and there is not much room left for anything else . Flavour and body is amazing for such a tiny cigar . The fiver tins are nifty and make really cool little gifts and handy for fishing. I don't smoke anything small or too thin anymore, simply much prefer and enjoy the  larger stuff Upmann put out Connie A B Mag 50 

• Like 1

I've had 2 boxes, one was awfully plugged and the other has awfully dark wrappers from 2018 that have never tasted all that great. I'm sure I'll LOVE a good box as Upmann one of my top 3 favorites but been crickets so far. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JohnS said:

At the moment, I'm working through a seven year-old box that hasn't been as good as other examples of H.Upmann Half Corona I've had in the past. However; when they 'on', yes, I do like them.

In regards to other formats similar to the H.Upmann Half Corona, I've included a table below from Cuban Cigar Website. I've been much more enamored with the Romeo y Julieta Petit Royales of late, but only because I've found them more consistent than the aforementioned H. Upmann Half Corona box I've been smoking through. Wouldn't it be interesting to sample the long discontinued Bolivar Petit Bolivar and/or a Partagas Half a Corona?

7 years not bad . Part of the reason I stopped buying them , I was lucky to get two weeks out of a box. The little Bolivar would have been something to try 🌴😎👍🏻

• Like 2

Same here, I've never been drawn to this size, I hate feeling rushed when I'm smoking. So the whole concept of "sneaking one in" just isn't my thing. The handful I've tried have been fine, but they've never blown me away. I'll grab several sizes of Upmann before these, they are NOT a replacement for the PC. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Kaptain Karl said:

one was awfully plugged

This definitely proves problematic for this format. If you stick it to teeth depth with the PerfecDraw it’s practically sticking out of the foot already. 

While I get it with these, I am ok with the fact that I only have a couple boxes. Where on the other hand I feel like I ONLY have four boxes of Petit Royales. 

• Like 2

I like them . Great cigar if I want a quick hit while fishing. My Rafael Gonzalez Perlas have taken their place for the time being.

• Like 4

Never had one, but if the length was similar to a corona extra I'd be on them like a fat kid on a donut. But truthfully, they look too darn short. 

3 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

one was awfully plugged

When a 3" cigar is plugged you know you have a really bad roller...wow.

As far as the HUHC I'm not a fan. I find it very dry and overly woody. Definitely high quality but just not a blend I'm into. And the vitola is not one I love. 

• Like 1

I love em. I must have a great box because they are perfection. Perfect burn and draw. Yes the size isnt my go to but I smoke them when the timing is right. I call them my “lil flavor boms.” After reading these comments I consider myself very lucky. 

• Like 4

I like them - precisely because they let me sneak one in between family and work related timing. I smoke a HC in about 40min and the flavours are great when I’ve aged them over 3 years. It’s not a Connie A but like a Partagas short, it scratches the itch for that profile…

• Like 3

I find I go through HUHC's like water.  Just something about the size and flavor profile make them a popular choice with me.  The light-medium body, small size, and guilt-free price point means they fit into my day perfectly at any time I have the opportunity for a quick smoke.  

• Like 4

I adore these, flavour-wise and size-wise. I'm still to have one that is any less then very good and occasionally they are so magnificently full of flavour that they are 95+. Some find them too small but actually I'm getting 45 minutes at least without particularly trying to smoke slowly, and that's enough for me almost all the time.

I definitely get it!

• Like 4

I travel fairly often and since I have a 50-minute drive to the airport, this is the perfect format for me time wise. I will also occasionally smoke a Monte MC or RG Perlas on that drive but the HUHC are my favorites for sure. 

Flavor-wise the cream and woodiness in these hit all the right spots on my palate. 

• Like 2

I LOVE this cigar. The flavors in every one I have enjoyed have been amazing. Shortbread, sweet & savory spices, cream, and cake. YUM.

The only gripe I have is the one made by many others, I really don't like the size. If you could add a few inches or utilize the same blend into a cigar that was thinner and longer (the size of the Majestic maybe) I probably would stock up on more. 

• Like 3

to me, this cigar is perfect for what it is trying to be: a tasty small cigar. i get that some folks don't like short cigars, but for those of us who routinely find ourselves with a 40-60min window and want to enjoy a tasty cigar, the huhc fits the bill.

-dobbs

• Like 4

If they put that blend in a robusto I'd be all over it!

• Like 3