What are we going to do about Cohiba. Is this situation Cohiba worthy?

what am I going to do with my Cohiba?  

276 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The price/enjoyment ratio is my hang up. In the last two weeks, I smoked five 6x38 cigars.  One was a 2018 CCE, and I enjoyed it the least. Even accounting for the hits and misses in a box, at ordinary 2022 prices, it's tough to justify continued purchases of cigars that I'm not enjoying as much as others. At the new reported price levels, it's not even a consideration.  

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not au fait with the hay...........I don't see the sass in the lemongrass.........Ill keep my money and forgo the honey 

Just to be clear, I am not the John referenced in the e-mail above. I don't intend to smoke them any more or less than I used to in the past, but I have been steadily rationing over the years due

I’ve got about 10 Espys left from a box of petacas i bought in Havana. Couple of boxes of Siglo IVs, IIIs, a box of IIs, one box of VIs, and about 8 boxes of Medio Siglos. I can still recall when I wo

I thought the price creep over the last couple of years due to Covid would start to stabilize once things started to get back to normal boy was I wrong

I’ve never been a special occasions cigar person life is short smoke what you like, also nothing worse then smoking a cigar you were saving and it turns out to be a dud witch puts a huge damper on your special occasion 

honestly cohiba makes some amazing cigar’s but imo  they are not even the best cigar coming out of Cuba. Depends on the price but I’m mostly done with cohiba I just hope this doesn’t drive the rest of Cuban cigars out of my price range

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

I think we’re all assuming this price hike is going to work. We’re all assuming Cuba is going to somehow absorb a massive amount of their cigar work force leaving during the pandemic. We’re assuming that a globe wide high interest rate recession isn’t going to squash consumption at these prices. I’m not sharing in the optimism that this CC world with HSA and state ran production is going to continue. 

Im sure there’ll be an initial surge on Cohiba, but I don’t see this sustaining itself over the next 5 years. Frankly at this pace I hope it all crashes and El Prez is able to buy quality product off the island and blend Cuban tobacco with Hamlet and sell to us 🥰

Given the economic climate right now, I feel like your post may be spot on. I think we're going to see a surge due to scarcity, but there may be a flutter out of this level of demand as the downturn happens. Guess I am just thankful that I have some level of stock right now that I can just ride this out and pick out things that come along here that I want. 

I have enough Cohiba to smoke one a month for approximately the next 20 years. I'll be 72 then so that should have to do.

Edit: I just counted them on my spreadsheet and I'm good for 302 months. 🙃

• Like 3

I have enough Cohiba to smoke one a month for approximately the next 20 years. I'll be 72 then so that should have to do.

Edit: I just counted them on my spreadsheet and I'm good for 302 months. 

You want to adjust that to only being good for like 250 months?
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, ChicagoRob said:

You want to adjust that to only being good for like 250 months? emoji28.pngemoji854.png

Nope, I just counted them and I have 302, so that comes to 302 months... 😉🧐

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 8:28 AM, MrBirdman said:

Exactly how I feel. I wouldn’t exactly say I was raised conservatively, but I was raised to be humble and eschew frequently wasting money on extravagances, especially if I’m not sharing them with others (which I can’t because none of my friends or family smoke cigars; in fact they all hate it). 

Being able to “afford” Cohiba doesn’t mean I have a limitless budget - extra money spent on cigars is money that comes out of wine or other pleasures than I CAN and do regularly get to share with others. Spending $60-$80 on a cigar feels selfish, especially when I don’t think it’s worth anywhere near that much. So this price hike makes those cigars less enjoyable for me, even if I acquired them at much lower prices.

I’ve taken this entire situation to reassess my spending on cigars in general, and spend more of my discretionary budget on building out my wine cellar. 

I thought I was the only one afflicted from the price hikes making cigars less enjoyable.  Even though I bought many of my boxes at much lower prices, I now look at some of them and feel almost some guilt in smoking them.  Like I was ok with burning a $10 bill or $20 here and there, but lighting up a $50 .... Cheers to those that have no need to think in this manner. Please tell me the secret to nirvana haha

• Like 3

I do think the Cohiba line is pretty great, but in general if you offered me a CORO or a BRC, 9 of 10 I’d rather have the Boli.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HopeUgood said:

Please tell me the secret to nirvana haha

If anyone reveals it to you please PM me 😉 !

• Haha 2

Like my house in California I will sell my remaining (very few) boxes of Cohibas when the most recent adjustments to the market settle in for the highest profit possible. I prefer Trinis out of the 2 (Cohiba and Trini) but main smoke since day 1 has been Monte #4.

I was only purchasing Siglo Is before anyway.  My Cohiba purchasing days are over.  Even if I won the lottery that I don't actually play, my money would be put toward a ranch in Wyoming or Montana.  I prefer catching trout and throwing them back to be caught again, over spending $100 plus for a rolled pile of dirty, dead leaves, regardless of which virgins thighs they were rolled from.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HopeUgood said:

I feel like Im going to be that old guy that talks about when "he was your age a candy bar used to cost " $0.xx and CC were only blah blah price"

I already feel like I’m that guy and I’m only in my 30’s!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

You can always trade for a Behike. I mean, if you've got 30+ years worth of cigars, it's not like you don't have some to spare for a trade.

I have found on a couple of occasions that the money value of BHKs is so high compared to the sticks to trade it's not worth it from an experience point of view.

What I mean is a single BHK 56 valued at $150-200 (actual purchasing price is not taken into account) trades for a box of 10 reasonably excellent cigars like a P2.

SO trading 1,5 hours vs 15 hours of bliss is simply not worth it. The situation get even more bizarre if trading for half a box (worth like 2 boxes 25 x Rio Seco) or a full box (worth 100 Mon 2s).

I am glad to have Behikes (smoked a 52 yesterday that was a 95-96) but I am not getting more unless I can buy at retail price. 

I guess it's all about perspective though...

• Like 1

It all depends on the person you're trading with. Some people do not see trades as needing to be completely equitable.

I've traded/swapped cigars with friends that in no way compare in value, and vice versa. It's not about the value, it's about the friendship.

Of course, trading with a stranger is completely different. Just comes down to how badly you want to try that elusive cigar.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Just comes down to how badly you want to try that elusive cigar.

I did not want Behikes at $100. I might have tried them at $30-$50.

It's just not for me. I'd rather have most other Cohibas, so it would have to be a very generous trade, and even then it would be wasted on me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bijan said:

I did not want Behikes at $100. I might have tried them at $30-$50

I found TWO plexiglass top boxes of Behike on Reddit! I’ll gladly sell you a couple for $30-$50!!! 😬

• Haha 2

On 5/11/2022 at 5:13 PM, Chas.Alpha said:

I do think the Cohiba line is pretty great, but in general if you offered me a CORO or a BRC, 9 of 10 I’d rather have the Boli.

That’s one good thing about CC, there is no shortage of amazing robustos if ll you’re priced out of CORO there are plenty to take it’s place

D4

BRC

H2

JL2

RASS

RyJ shorts

The list goes on and on not it to mention the odd sized h uppman or monty ones

• Like 4