Deep Dive: Por Larranaga Petit Corona

El Presidente

Deep Dive on the Por Larranaga Petit Corona   

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Por Larranaga Petit Corona. 

Some people love the mongrel in youth, most enjoy the honeyed gems thatt they become when aged.

Rate them on the basis of how you prefer to smoke them.

Let's talk the PLPC

• Do you like Por Larranaga Petit Corona?
  • Where does it stand in the ranks of the other existing Petit Corona?
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a  Por Larranaga Petit Corona. 
  • Do the poll!

Salute the PLPC!  :cigar:

Oddly enough, I’m just finishing one now. The flavor profile is fresh in my hand!

• Like 1

Love this thing, but below the Monte 4, BPC and Siglo II. Funny to think about how much I like it yet where it ranks in the PC world. Must just love PCs

I haven't noticed a blend change,  but that's likely due to only touching them aged over 5 years

Solid 45-50 minutes and prefer them with 8-10 years of age. 

Cheers!

• Like 1

Literally just posted in daily smoke!

Love these buggers young. Can't wait for mine to age. I have a "few" boxes. 😁

Funny thing to me is, since they're cheaper I almost consider them a " tossem if I have to" yet I consistently nub them. 🤷

Any way. I love the fuggers.

• Like 4

LIke them young and erratic,  but otherwise would rather go for a PLMC. 

Would be interesting to see the PLPC blend in at Lonsdale format with some Ligero dropped in it to see how it performed as a dark brooding 898/cazzie style bracing cigar.     I can really see that rye bread, caramel and leather, working with some salt, and tannic power added in the mix

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SCgarman said:

Sorry this is the most "overrated" cigar here on the forum. Have a LGR17 cab. Beautiful looking sticks. Disappointing flavor. Straight toasted tobacco flavor. Nothing more. No honey. No caramel. No evolution of flavors at all in 5 years. Likely my first and last cab of these period. And to those who say this cigar becomes "epic" in 10-20 years, F that! I'm 56 yrs old this year. Don't have enough time to age cigars for that amount of time for them to be great. I'll likely be dead before then! I'll take a Monte4, RGPC, HUPC or just about any other Mareva over the PLPC. A great yard 'gar for mowing the lawn, unfortunately not much more than that. 

17. On my limited time here, it seems like the 19-22's are better? Leaning on others to correct me but I'm going off newer editions. Maybe the 17's just suck? 😁

My first PLPC was in 2018.  It was from a 2014 cab I got from FOH.  Smoked one ROTT and it was one of the best caramel sticks I’ve ever indulged in.  Was actually blown away with it.  Problem is it set the bar so unobtainable high early on that ever since nothing has come close.  I still grab one from time to time but I find myself disappointed more often than not.  I will say when their on they are a joy to smoke when they’re not I find myself tossing them earlier than most.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

all based on one cab ?

:thinking:

Seriously consider trading the balance in 6's to other members who can swap in from their cabs. 

That way you will get a cross section of PLPC and a solid basis upon which to form a balanced opinion. You still may not like them! 

I can smoke Monte4 from now until death and die happy. I'll stick with my tried and true. The current price of a PLPC 50 cab is far beyond what I'm willing to pay. At $250usd it "may" have been worth it, but at $350+usd and constantly increasing no way José 

2 hours ago, SCgarman said:

Straight toasted tobacco flavor.

I find them to be one of the CCs with the most straight tobacco flavour among the premium CCs, so I wasn't a big fan at first. But I like them way better than the also mainly straight tobacco short filler CCs. So they have a place for me.

Had my first one 4-5 years ago but was not impressed despite everyone raving about them. Managed to score a few '2018' 50 cabs that I thought to keep for quick lunch smokes or give to guests at my local B&M and they've been some of my favorites since. Gone through many since and my main issue is that one is not enough...:cofcig:

• Like 2

Great value and plenty of flavour interest for me. Age is the charm.  I like them with a dark oily wrapper when young, that relaxes into the sweet complexity as it ages.

@SCgarman no need to love everything, and many opinions make a market. But, you can get a single bad box / cab of anything. There is garbage Monte 4 out there for sure - and that’s another cigar I like very much.

• Like 1

The classic PLPC "4-5 years of mongrel, followed by huge caramel metamorphosis" seems to have disappeared following 2014-15 for me. It was a blast to follow the evoilution by rotating through the different vintages but something has changed. The 2016-on cabs have been stuck in time and haven't had the same ride associated with them, which takes away a fun element that set PLPCs apart. There are better PCs out there (Boli, Monte 4 for example) and, as others have pointed out, the pricing now has reduced the bargain factor in the buying equation.

• Like 2

I recently picked up two cabs of PLPC (RAT Sept 21) and am loving them.  I originally only intended to get one cab and let them age abit, but after sampling a couple sticks I couldn't help myself.  So I got a second cab and stashed it in the back of my humidor with a big piece of tape across the top that says "no! ageing!"  They're definitely a main cigar in my current rotation.  I'd put the PLPC up there in the top tier of petit coronas alongside the HUHC and Party Short.  Great flavor and quality, plus great value.

• Like 1

I tried one out of my 50 cab and now I am hiding them so they can rest! I will likely not make it a full 5 years to try another ;)

2 hours ago, foursite12 said:

The classic PLPC "4-5 years of mongrel, followed by huge caramel metamorphosis" seems to have disappeared following 2014-15 for me. It was a blast to follow the evoilution by rotating through the different vintages but something has changed. The 2016-on cabs have been stuck in time and haven't had the same ride associated with them, which takes away a fun element that set PLPCs apart. There are better PCs out there (Boli, Monte 4 for example) and, as others have pointed out, the pricing now has reduced the bargain factor in the buying equation.

Glad to hear a similar experience with these. Guess I'm not crazy after all! In my opinion the Monte4 is far superior to the PLPC. So much more rich flavors.

20 hours ago, Lord Verulam said:

Jeez emoji23.png to be that convinced you’d think he tried a nice wide array to convince himself

I can see where he’s coming from ont he straight tobacco flavor comment tho ……because they are hit or miss, and the ones that are sort of a kiss are the straight tobacco flavor ones ….BUT I have had some legendary 5-10 yr old plpcs …..so to each his own I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many times do you have to go on a date with a woman before you are convinced she is the wrong one for you? Doesn't take me more than once. Same with cigars. A box is plenty to let me know whether they are for myself or not.

I've got about 4.5 years on a 2017 box and they're all smoking great! The last 15-20 min have that "mongrel" that gets brought up frequently in young PLPCs. I am quite optimistic about these over the next few years and definitely need to grab a PSP box to stash away soon.

• Like 1

I've been slowly smoking through a box of LEP DIC 16 and another TOS FEB 17 PSP. Both taste noticeably different, probably due to the light wrappers on the former and darker wrappers on the latter. Sticks from both have been very good though, with a few that have been, at the very worst, pretty good.

Have had quite a few more Monte 4s recently, from 16/18/20, and a bunch of 18/19 BPCs. I like all of them. But when each is on, I'd rank them 1) BPC, 2) PLPC, and 3) Monte 4.

The few 2020 Siglo IIs I've tried have been very good too, on a par with the best BPCs in the box here, but no better... so far.

Great cigar. Just finished a 2009 cab (might be one or two from the cab hanging around) and about to crack a 2015. I smoke them slowly but they are always good!

On 4/25/2022 at 10:59 AM, El Presidente said:

all based on one cab ?

:thinking:

Seriously consider trading the balance in 6's to other members who can swap in from their cabs. 

That way you will get a cross section of PLPC and a solid basis upon which to form a balanced opinion. You still may not like them! 

I may be dense, but is there a subthread for swaps or trading?

3 hours ago, Frinkiac7 said:

I may be dense, but is there a subthread for swaps or trading?

You have to have 50 or 100 posts and account has to be 6 months old to get access. Not sure if you need to hit both requirements.

The PLPC is one of my favorite cigars with age. In one that is aged and "on" I get a beautiful lavender and floral note rotating with a sweet spice on a caramel backbone. 

I remember having my first one sometime around 2006 on my porch with rain pouring and pairing it with a great rum, I was thinking it had to be flavored somehow because the floral and lavender notes were so prominent and I hadn't experienced flavors so strong in that vein with a cigar before. 

I have gone through several cabs over the years, some better than others. I don't always get those spice and floral notes with the PLPC, but the caramel is always there.

Definitely in my top 5 cigars when they are on. 

• Like 1