Deep Dive: Por Larranaga Petit Corona

El Presidente

Deep Dive on the Por Larranaga Petit Corona   

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, Frinkiac7 said:

Great cigar. Just finished a 2009 cab (might be one or two from the cab hanging around) and about to crack a 2015. I smoke them slowly but they are always good!

I may be dense, but is there a subthread for swaps or trading?

trading room

Pretty light bodied and mild tobacco flavors for me. Never saw any mongrel out of them. Was overall disappointed after reading the hype that surrounds these. Back when they were about $230 a cab I purchased 2 cabs. They are enjoyable and certainly a good investment if I decide to sell in 10 years. At under $5 a stick I get them. At the current prices give me a HUHC or P Short any day of the week, much much more flavor in those cigars. 

• 9 months later...
On 4/25/2022 at 12:06 AM, RDB said:

Great value and plenty of flavour interest for me. Age is the charm.  I like them with a dark oily wrapper when young, that relaxes into the sweet complexity as it ages.

@SCgarman no need to love everything, and many opinions make a market. But, you can get a single bad box / cab of anything. There is garbage Monte 4 out there for sure - and that’s another cigar I like very much.

Just smoked a dark and oily one from an Oct 2022 cabinet I got in last week. What a cigar. first half was sweet and rich, lots of strong honeyed flavor, then it moved into toasted oats and dark, rich tobacco. It also packed a serious punch. Probably my favorite young cigar I have ever smoked.

On 4/24/2022 at 7:46 PM, SCgarman said:

Sorry this is the most "overrated" cigar here on the forum. Have a LGR17 cab. Beautiful looking sticks. Disappointing flavor. Straight toasted tobacco flavor. Nothing more. No honey. No caramel. No evolution of flavors at all in 5 years.

I have a cab of these as well and agree with your comments.

Folks with more experience that I have promise me these will turn around--maybe later this year, maybe next year.

Hopefully we will both be raving about these soon....

I have had this happen before with Bolivar PCs and RASCCs--it seemed like it took forever before they were "ready"--but when they got there (in the case of both of these the five year mark was when the magic happened) they were stunning.

I purchased a cabinet from 2014 and my friends and I have smoked a combined 8 or so.  We have enjoyed them all very much with no exceptions.  There have been some instances where "caramel" was noted as a distinct flavor, but it hasn't been there on every smoke and sometimes it seems more predominant than others. My one buddy enjoyed them so much he purchased a box from 2017 which just arrived and I have a handful from that cabinet resting.  I am very interested to see if they are as enjoyable as the ones from 2014 or if the 2017s turn out to be "duds". I can say that the wrappers on most of the 2017s seem a tad bit darker than those on the 2014s. 

From the 2017's I have smoked, I agree they have a lot of straight forward tobacco flavor.  I have also found a bit of charred mushroom/earth/umami flavor. 

I think I prefer the MC 4 overall, but these are a nice change of pace once in a while. I enjoy waiting to see if the caramel/sweetness will pop-up and when (it seems more common in the 2nd and 3rd thirds).  I also like sharing them with others who are often unfamiliar with the brand, let alone this specific cigar. 

• 1 year later...