Grills are like boats. No such thing as the one that does it all. Webber? OK. Gas? Sure? How about a pellet grill? They are getting better at getting hot enough for a sear while excelling at low and slow. I use the chimney charcoal starter upside down with coals at their hottest with a bit of grill grate on top to sear. And I have a lodge hibachi that was the bomb for 2 people.

image.png.65052a6f2d30d57d64e1cb3b842a6681.png

• Like 2

i am very jealous with the choices people have overseas. Australia is kinda limited, due to the shipping and smaller customer base (compared globally). 

I would like to recommend the newer gravity feed charcoal smokers. These looks amazing and seems to be able to do it all - Hot and fast, low and slow, searing or smoking. 

I am hoping that Oz will get the Chargriller Gravity 980 this year, I am looking forward to getting one of these. 

@Fosgate The capacity of this grill seems insane.  Is there any drawback to using it for a smaller task like throwing on a couple of burgers. Also, do you find it acceptable to sear a steak? Part of me really wants this, but I feel like I might be purchasing it for the 1% (parties, etc.) of times I use it, rather than the 99% (family of four). I guess my main question is how do you like the versatility of it?

I don't sear my steaks on any grill or smoker. Though they are capable as they can quickly reach 500f to reverse sear after smoking and I do have an Artesian Steel Plate that would work great to sear on. I choose not to out of preference for using cast Iron for searing.  After done smoking I have a cast iron pan with a bit of butter ready to quickly reverse sear. I like mine a lot. I followed the advise of 3 of my cousins when I bought mine. They said buy as big of one that you can afford. They were right, Since I have had mine I never wish I had a smaller one. I've made outstanding apple pie, pizza, veggies etc on mine as well. Before winter sets in I usually like to smoke several briskets and pork buts to vacuum seal and toss in the freezer for the winter months. Also nice to have individual size ready to go for lunch or any occasion. One day I really liked the space was I was smoking fish with veggies and had chili on while also smoking a pork butt all at once. I love the wifi controller also. I was doing about 10 ribs one day and the wife called unexpectedly and needed me to pick her up. It was December and cold outside, sun was going down so the outside temp was dropping rapidly. But while I drove across town I could monitor with my app, watch the temp start to decrease and adjust. About 10 minutes from home I got the alert that they reached the desired temp and I just flicked it to Keep Warm. When I got home, I simply walked out, pulled it off, wrapped and stuffed in the cooler for a few hours to rest like normal. This is also why I like the double walled insulation of the Timberline series rather than having to wrap with an insulated cover. The wifi controller can be a headache to setup the first time, typically you want a wifi booster close to where the smoker is. 

Pellets, I never use the Traeger pellets at $20 per 20lb bag. I far prefer Lumberjack Competition Blend and Apple Blend at $9 per 20 lb. Traeger settled a lawsuit over additives to their pellets and like to add oils to them. I prefer all natural wood typically found in the cheaper brands, Lumberjack is actually a premium quality. 

Trays and attachments, I have a fish basket, Trager Chicken leg tray for making chicken leg lolly pops, two of their rib racks, a few stainless grid trays to smoke veggies and a good set of cast iron cookware. 

If you want a Trager Timberline 1300 your going to have to snatch one up quick. The new model replacement is over $1000 more the features they added I do not feel justify the price tag. For that money I would look at a Yoder or a Rec Tec instead. 

Not my smoker but you can see when you roast chicken legs and wings they take up room quickly. (and I always like some left overs)

a-432.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tstew75 said:

Pellet grills are cheating & take all the fun & skill away (vs charcoal).

There. I said it...

Used to have a team that competed every year at the American Royal World Bbq Championship here in Kansas City. Obviously couldnt use pellet smokers but everyone on that team now has one in addition to their trusty old hardwood smokers. Kind of like my old Aristocrat Cabinet. Set and Forget! 

• Sad 1

I like eggs, too. But the limited surface area sorta turns me off. They make me think of sou vide for grilling. 

Anyway, I'm currently using makeshift 50 gallon drum with smoker side box thing. I do some unorthodox things with it. 

I've been enjoying a friend's gas grill late last year. Makes me think I ought to get one. They're just so quick and clean a bit easier. But imparting flavor and that smokiness is just more difficult. But for a quick grill it seems great. I'd probably use it daily. 

When I was a teen my 5th step father had a cookout team that would serve at various bass master tourneys and always did a yearly thing at the livestock show and rodeo in Houston. I learned some great tricks while helping the fellows with the igloo full of bloody Mary's. 

Hmmmm, yeah, better get you a drum grill with a smoker. It's for the best. 

4 hours ago, Meesterjojo said:

Hmmmm, yeah, better get you a drum grill with a smoker. It's for the best. 

I had one of these for about 5 years, it was awesome but I like the BGE more. I'm about to go to the closest grill store and see what they have and maybe get something for Easter grilling!

On 4/3/2022 at 1:03 PM, Fosgate said:

I love my Traeger Timberline 1300. Load it up with food for a big party or a bunch of meat to smoke, seal and freeze for lunches or later in the year like winter. Plus if I have to run an errand or something, I can control my grill from anywhere my phone has service.

Damn! These images alone had me heading to the Traeger site to check out models and pricing. I have been cooking on the same gas Weber since 2004, and have replaced/upgraded the grill grates and a few other parts over the years. It might be time to upgrade. 

I had a Traeger and my only knock on it is that it's controlled by a little circuit board.  That's both the good news and the bad news.  It's good because it makes the cooking process relatively automatic by maintaining a set temperature.  The bad part is mine failed after about 3-4 years just from being outside.  It's too expensive a device to fail so easily due to weather.  I've got a Weber Genesis II 435 which is great for simple outdoor cooking.  My last Weber Genesis lasted 18 years. And I've got a Weber Smokey Mountain 22 when I feel like smoking something.  Maybe not the best smoker in the world but works.  Also, for a little extra smoky flavor in the Genesis, this device is pretty cool:

image.jpeg.1c2b0ca1fca4ed388bc1b16dcaa883a7.jpeg

.  Fill it with pellets, get it smoldering with a lighter and stick it inside the grill.  I know, I know, it's not purist smoking but since I generally only cook for 2, navigating an offset smoker is just too much for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Çnote said:

So I ended up getting the KJ-I. Lots of value, plenty of $ left for charcoal, meat, and of course, cigars.

Great choice, it has a bit of a learning curve but you’ll love it. 

On 4/11/2022 at 12:49 AM, Chibearsv said:

I had a Traeger and my only knock on it is that it's controlled by a little circuit board.  That's both the good news and the bad news.  It's good because it makes the cooking process relatively automatic by maintaining a set temperature.  The bad part is mine failed after about 3-4 years just from being outside.  It's too expensive a device to fail so easily due to weather.  I've got a Weber Genesis II 435 which is great for simple outdoor cooking.  My last Weber Genesis lasted 18 years. And I've got a Weber Smokey Mountain 22 when I feel like smoking something.  Maybe not the best smoker in the world but works.

I have had a ton of awesome meat from that smoker! Not the equipment it’s the player. Same way Tiger could stomp most of us with just a 7 iron. 😂

• Like 1

I have a 6 year old Cuisinart gas grill. It never really got hot enough for me. So, out came my drill. Drilled out the flame holes larger. It’s now like a monster. It gets extremely hot now. Great for searing meat.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2022 at 4:20 AM, Çnote said:

So I ended up getting the KJ-I. Lots of value, plenty of $ left for charcoal, meat, and of course, cigars.

You will love it. As I mentioned to @rcarlson when he got his, there are a number of really good YouTube’s for this classic in particular. Join a few Facebook groups for KJ and you will never be short of inspiration and will learn quite a few tricks. I love mine. From Jerkey to wings ribs turkey and of course steaks it does what is asked of it (once you learn how to slowly raise temp. 
have a blast and post some pic of your food