I bought a PK grill last year. I really enjoy it. I’ve also used a standard Webber kettle. For me I like the PK grill more. I haven’t done any smoking on either though I have a pellet grill for that. Might try smoking on the PK grill this year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Webber 22”. Perfect for a family of 2, considering coal prices these days...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Çnote said:

I have found myself shopping for grills. I'm an Egg fan, but what else is out there?

I have an Egg but I'm looking to upgrade to a KJ Classic 2. Both are great and fairly similar but the KJ has a few tweaks to improve the design.

• Like 1

I have a KJ Classic III and a Napoleon 600 gas grill. The Napoleon is great when I don’t have much time or on bad winter days but nothing beats the KJ. Love it. 

• Thanks 2

A buddy of mine bought a big setup called an "Oklahoma Joe" which seems very complete. Smoker, charcoal grill, and gas burners if you want.7bcff396db3101e23fb9ae516cc739364bf6fe27

I am a charcoal snob myself. My project this summer is to try to build a big brick or block Argentine-style "asador" and install a metal grill with adjustable height and a pulley system ("Santa Maria grill") inside the block frame. I have been meaning to do it for years, no contractor seemed competent to do it, no good prefab kits available and COVID threw a wrench into all of that, so now I am just going to get some buddies together and build one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Frinkiac7 said:

A buddy of mine bought a big setup called an "Oklahoma Joe" which seems very complete. Smoker, charcoal grill, and gas burners if you want.

I am a charcoal snob myself. My project this summer is to try to build a big brick or block Argentine-style "asador" and install a metal grill with adjustable height and a pulley system ("Santa Maria grill") inside the block frame. I have been meaning to do it for years, no contractor seemed competent to do it, no good prefab kits available and COVID threw a wrench into all of that, so now I am just going to get some buddies together and build one.

I saw a system like you describe for a PK Grill on a FB page which fits perfectly. One more reason to go old school and buy a PK...

What are you looking to do? I have 2 Weber 22 inch Kettles, a Weber Genesis gas grill, a Masterbuiilt 40, a Blackstone 28 griddle and a custom built offset smoker. They all perform great with the what I want them to do.

Give us more information and what you are wanting to do. I'll be more than happy to help you spend your money

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had a traeger for years and used the hell out of it. I am ordering a Reqtec Bullseye this week. Its their smaller combo pellet smoker and grill. Has a digital control for temps and a searing mode that can exceed 700 fh. You  can also set to 225 fh for low and slow smoking. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Fosgate said:

I love my Traeger Timberline 1300. Load it up with food for a big party or a bunch of meat to smoke, seal and freeze for lunches or later in the year like winter. Plus if I have to run an errand or something, I can control my grill from anywhere my phone has service.

Please PM your address. It’s a 30 hour drive, but I’m on my way!!! 😀

• Haha 3

Before recommending a grill; what type of outdoor cooking do you like to do?  What types would you like to aspire doing?  Traditional slow-low BBQ?  Grilling, wood fire oven cooking?  Do you use long skewers or charcoal or something else? 

So, I've had a LG BGE for about 10 years. It's primarily been used for grilling steaks and burgers, but I've smoked fish and fowl and roasts from 2 hrs upto 15hrs. I like the versatility of the Egg, I'd prefer to cook on lump than pellets, and I'll usually be cooking for 2, rarely more. There's literally 3 professional BBQ trucks in my neighborhood, so I'm not looking at making ribs every weekend. I'm trying to stay under $1500 all in.

I'm leaning towards another Egg or KJ rather than a trager, but that Oklahoma Joe ticks alot of boxes!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bassistheplace said:

I was egg for everything for 10 years. 2 years ago added gas and the convenience for simple quick grilling, poor weather days, is really great. The egg is still the best but i like the option depending on situation

Totally agree 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Çnote said:

So, I've had a LG BGE for about 10 years... I like the versatility of the Egg, I'd prefer to cook on lump than pellets, and I'll usually be cooking for 2, rarely more... I'm trying to stay under $1500 all in.

i recently picked up the weber kamado and it is amazing, but since you already have a kamado that changes things. to be honest, if you're not looking to do long smokes, you should pick up a weber kettle (yeah i like weber) or a badass gas grill. your budget is plenty, it just comes down to whether you want to work over charcoal or gas.

gas is convenient and absolutely has its place, but i love the flavor of lump charcoal.

-dobbs

• Like 1

I am a big KJ FAN. I’ve had my classic for several years and my Weber genesis pretty much acts as a table. When I use gas, it is out indoor gas grill, which is great in the winter. 
What I like about the kj is the ability to split the cooking area heights and use of deflectors. For two easy to set up for reverse sear - one side for low heat the other w the grate low for the sear. 
if you are cooking for two, another option is to get the jr and keep using the egg. A bit more lump will be used for reverse sear if you use both but easy set ups. 
frankly these pop up on marketplace and Craigslist periodically like the classic. I got my classic used for $400. It barely was used. They just didn’t master it. If you buy used though ask for the original receipt and if it was registered. Can be a lifesaver as warranty does not transfer

I've been looking at a replacement for my nearly ten year old Weber performer kettle.  I also have a pellet smoker and a flat top, so the weber is really just for quick charcoal jobs, and it works like a champ.  That said, I'm a sucker for toys, and I have been looking at these:

https://www.hastybake.com/collections/charcoal-grills

I don't have personal experience with them, but they seem to be high quality, get good reviews, and I am definitely considering getting one.

I got a kamado big joe recently and i absolutely love it. Still have my standard weber kettle and a gas grill too. But the big joe is just so amazing

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Offset reverse flow smoker that is heavy duty enough to perform grilling in the main chamber.  I also have an10 gauge steel baffle for better smoke control and heat distribution in the main chamber. 

Start basic & get a Weber kettle grill. It takes time to cook on, but the flavor is unmatched.  I'd also highly recommend Weber gas grills as a faster backup- they last decades.

• Like 1

I have a Primo Oval XL but am thinking of selling it and getting a pellet smoker + gas grill.

But the Primo itself has been great. The oval shape I think is more conducive to fitting meat on the grates compared to the circle shape of the egg/KJ. It's also great for setting up a dual zone when grilling. If you go with a kamado style grill def give it a look.