MLB 2022

MoeFOH

1 hour ago, ElJavi76 said:

Not to dump on the reigning world champs but Atlanta reminds me a lot of the Dodgers. 

Try being a Minnesota Vikings fan! 😔

• Like 2

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two Aussie baseball tragics, @JohnS and I (the handsome chaps below), are starting this thread for all things MLB season 2022...  Spring Training, Trades, Regular Season, Post Season... jump on i

Hey @Chas.Alpha I’ll see you your Hall of Fame pitcher and manager and raise you a hall of famer of my own. I met Ricky Henderson in Cabo back in 2010 the year after he was inducted. Wife and I were w

Blue Jays fan. They’ve taken a good team and added some big pieces. Should be a good year but the AL East is always a grind. 

7 minutes ago, Chas.Alpha said:

Try being a Minnesota Vikings fan! 😔

Mets

Penguins (good luck here 5 cups in my fandom)

Bulls (from my youth and Jordan. I don’t follow basketball any longer)

Bills (things are looking up but yeah those 4 SBs in a row with 0 to show for)

Worst part of being a Mets fan in NY, where we have that other franchise… everyone wants to talk about the 20 something rings for the Yankees. And you can’t take rings or championships away but you can’t compare the two franchises either. Yankees have been around since Abe Lincoln when the ball was actually one of those tomato 🍅 pin cushions, and there were 5 other teams in baseball. A little easier to win then. Watching the Yankees of the late 90s was painful. People ask why the Mets. When we got here from Cuba the Yankees were trending down and the 80s belonged to the Mets in NYC. In sports tho, you pick a team and you run with it. No regrets, let’s go Mets!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JohnS said:

You say that because of the following three reasons?

1. The Padres have taken both regular season series 2-1 against the Mets but the Dodgers have beaten up on the Padres in 2022.
  2. The Dodgers have won almost three out every four games this season but the Mets actually took their regular season series 4-3.
  3. You don't want the Dodgers to replicate the 2001 Seattle Mariners (of course, who does?) and if the Dodgers deserve to win it all this year then they should prove it against tough opponents (i.e Padres, Mets and Braves).

Sure, those are all good reasons....but I mainly said it because I thought it would be a good series - turns out I was right!  Bonus that it goes the distance, although I can already hear the naysayers <ahem> @Ford2112 <cough!>   using that as an excuse to delegitimize the Dodgers winning the NLDS (godwilling!) - oh, NYM/SD was burnt out, they didn't have their rotation right, etc, etc, etc....anything to throw mud at the Boys in Blue!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigGuns said:

anything to throw mud at the Boys in Blue!

Dodgers are kinda easy to hate. Walter O’Malley tippy toed the Dodgers out of Brooklyn in the dark of night. Thanks to the Dodgers and Giants leaving NY we ended up with the Mets, but nevertheless they left a lot of unhappy fans. Another dark episode in Dodgers lore is the history of Chávez Ravine and how eminent domain was used to evict many Mexican American families from their homes. That’s where Dodger’s Stadium was eventually built. Many Mexican fans didn’t forgive them until the whole Fernando Mania era. Great PR drafting move.

In a pure baseball sense they’re no more hate-able than any other opposing franchise. To me they're the Kings of the regular season and that’s fine by me. 

I’ll be a hypocrite about not romanticizing of the past… one thing I loved about old school baseball was no fraternizing with the opposition. I watch baseball now and in the middle of games, that are competitive, you see guys playing patty cake at first base or chatting and patting each other. Ask Ray Fosse if Pete Rose was chummy or not. Pete Rose essentially ended his career during a home plate collision during, wait for it, a meaningless All-Star game. It wasn’t meaningless to Rose. In 1986 Eric Davis of the Reds slid spikes up on Ray Knight the Mets 3B man… Knight punched Davis in the face and started an all out brawl. The fights aren’t necessary but neither is exchanging IG handles at first base. 

• Like 3

Mets trying to shake Padre’s Musgrove with a foreign substance check. Tough when you are losing I guess.  The guy is a solid pitcher. Go get em’ no no Joe!

• Haha 1

I think anyone would be suspicious if a guy is throwing harder than he normally does or if the spin rate on his pitches are demonstrably higher. I wish the Padres were a bunch of nicer ball players. Soto and Manny both behave like asshats. The stupid staring back and the dumb Soto shuffle. Back to what I was saying earlier in this thread and old school baseball… do you think Soto would do the shuffle on Bob Gibson or Nolan Ryan? They would fire baseballs at his helmet until he learned how to behave like a proper competitor. We already know Machado’s tainted past. Dude comes off like a fake thug. 

Mets have completely let down their fan base with an abysmal September. That early Sept  series against the Nationals where they dropped 2/3 and the Cubs coming in and sweeping them. That’s where the division was lost. The whole Braves were much better bid??? They got the tiebreaker head to head by one game but had the same amount of wins. Good on the Braves for winning when it counted but the Mets shot themselves in the foot with their crap September.  

P.S. @JohnS I guess we’ll get them next year. I’m as salty as I am because of how this season ended. A piece of me thinks that part of this season falls on Showalter. He played around with that bullpen and made some questionable moves throughout the season. The lineup needs one more legit bat and we cannot carry catchers that hit .189 for the year. I don’t care how good they call a game. I think we’re the only team that made the playoffs (101 wins mind you) that never popped a single bottle of champagne. Let’s see what Mr Cohen has up his sleeve this winter. Very poor showing. 

• Like 2

n975pqysfrngpyahpjh1.jpg.b05213121d9e8e31a7122bdfe818435a.jpg

DIVISION SERIES (ALL TIMES ET)

Tuesday, Oct. 11
NLDS Game 1, PHI @ ATL 1:07 p.m. FOX
ALDS Game 1, SEA @ HOU 3:37 p.m. TBS
ALDS Game 1, CLE @ NYY 7:37 p.m. TBS
NLDS Game 1, SD @ LAD 9:37 p.m. FS1

Wednesday, Oct. 12
NLDS Game 2, PHI @ ATL 4:35 p.m. FOX
NLDS Game 2, SD @ LAD 8:37 p.m. FS1

Thursday, Oct. 13
ALDS Game 2, SEA @ HOU 3:37 p.m. TBS
ALDS Game 2, CLE @ NYY 7:37 p.m. TBS

Friday, Oct. 14
NLDS Game 3, LAD @ SD, FS1
NLDS Game 3, ATL @ PHI, FS1

Saturday, Oct. 15
NLDS Game 4, LAD @ SD, FS1 (if necessary)
NLDS Game 4, ATL @ PHI, FS1 (if necessary)
ALDS Game 3, HOU @ SEA, TBS
ALDS Game 3, NYY @ CLE, TBS

Sunday, Oct. 16
ALDS Game 4, HOU @ SEA, TBS (if necessary)
ALDS Game 4, NYY @ CLE, TBS (if necessary)
NLDS Game 5, SD @ LAD, FS1 (if necessary)
NLDS Game 5, PHI @ ATL, FS1 (if necessary)

Monday, Oct. 17
ALDS Game 5, SEA @ HOU, TBS (if necessary)
ALDS Game 5, CLE @ NYY, TBS (if necessary)

LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

Tuesday, Oct. 18
NLCS Game 1, FOX or FS1

Wednesday, Oct. 19
NLCS Game 2, FOX or FS1
ALCS Game 1, TBS

Thursday, Oct. 20
ALCS Game 2, TBS

Friday, Oct. 21
NLCS Game 3, FS1

Saturday, Oct. 22
ALCS Game 3, TBS
NLCS Game 4, FOX or FS1

Sunday, Oct. 23
NLCS Game 5, FS1 (if necessary)
ALCS Game 4, TBS

Monday, Oct. 24
ALCS Game 5, TBS (if necessary)
NLCS Game 6, FS1 (if necessary)

Tuesday, Oct. 25
ALCS Game 6, TBS (if necessary)
NLCS Game 7, FOX and FS1 (if necessary)

Wednesday, Oct. 26
ALCS Game 7, TBS (if necessary)

WORLD SERIES

Friday, Oct. 28
Game 1 (at better record), FOX

Saturday, Oct. 29
Game 2 (at better record), FOX

Monday, Oct. 31
Game 3, FOX

Tuesday, Nov. 1
Game 4, FOX

Wednesday, Nov. 2
Game 5, FOX (if necessary)

Friday, Nov. 4
Game 6, FOX (if necessary, at better record)

Saturday, Nov. 5
Game 7, FOX (if necessary, at better record)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2022 at 12:21 PM, ElJavi76 said:

P.S. @JohnS I guess we’ll get them next year. I’m as salty as I am because of how this season ended. 

It's funny, every year after the Vikings nosedive at the end of the season (after my customary dog cussing) I say "That's OK, we'll get 'em next year" to which my wife replies "NO WE WON'T !!!"

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Chas.Alpha said:

It's funny, every year after the Vikings nosedive at the end of the season (after my customary dog cussing) I say "That's OK, we'll get 'em next year" to which my wife replies "NO WE WON'T !!!"

I feel your pain brother. NY is a funny place with sports. Expectations are always sky high as if the rest of any sports league is going to give away a championship, you know cause NY deserves it. You gotta go earn it. The Mets gave their season away. Nobody to blame but themselves for being in the position to be in an elimination game last night. Now they go into an off-season prematurely by the standard they set during the season. A lot of big free agents. Most notably DeGrom and Diaz. Next year’s roster might not even be as sexy as the one we just saw. Now we get to watch the rest of this post season play out. Ugh!

• Like 2

I know it’s a business and therefore the biggest market teams will play during prime time, but it really chaps my ass that the first two Ms games go off at 1230 local time on week days. People gotta work and it’s not like a 430 game where you can duck out a bit early or just miss the first couple innings …

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedLantern said:

I know it’s a business and therefore the biggest market teams will play during prime time, but it really chaps my ass that the first two Ms games go off at 1230 local time on week days. People gotta work and it’s not like a 430 game where you can duck out a bit early or just miss the first couple innings …

The sports bias in baseball has always been ridiculous.

• Like 1

Damn what a gutshot for the M's today. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times . . .

• Like 1

Yordan Alvarez had one of the best games ever played by a Baseballer on the field in the history of the game. And I'm not exaggerating in saying this. As if the 3-run walk-off home run with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th inning wasn't enough, what about going three-for-four when the rest of the lineup for Houston was quietened and that throw from the outfield to get Ty France at home to prevent a 7-2 Seattle lead. Simply incredible.

Seattle have to re-group, shake it off and show up to Game 2 thinking it's a new day because they didn't lose that game, nor did Houston win (well technically they did), rather Yordan Alvarez snatched life from the jaws of death!

• Like 1

My father in law was over for awhile yesterday and I was smoking outside. He was inside. When the Stros put two on and Alvarez was due up he ran outside during the pitching change. We argued about when Sewald should’ve been pulled. I told him, managers have a no win proposition on their hands. If he pulls one guy and the next guy gives up HR he shouldn’t have made the move or should have made it sooner. (That last bit was my FiL’s take) If he keeps the guy in and gives it up that’s bad too. Only his players can save him from him trying to save them. Shame of a game for the Ms cause they had done many things well up to that point. I won’t lie, I root for almost any Cuban player in the majors. Alvarez looked like he was pressing on that first swing but he got his pitch and destroyed it. Before his at-bat my father in law says, who’s up? Alvarez? “Ahi llegó el Diablo” (The devil has arrived) He’s a huge baseball fan as most Dominicans are. He walked back into the house and says what did I tell you? It was the devil. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don’t understand why the Ms didn’t put him on, regardless if they wanted to make a pitching change

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RedLantern said:

I don’t understand why the Ms didn’t put him on, regardless if they wanted to make a pitching change

That was my FiL’s take. He said you can’t let that guy beat you in that spot. Like I said, tough spot for Servais there and I think spun himself into the ground on that one. 

• Like 2

Now that the playoffs are taking a bit more shape I have a couple takes.  1. Yankee fans suck. You boo Aaron Judge? Say goodbye to him . They don't deserve to win. 2. Padres have a real vibe right now,one of destiny perhaps? Their pitching could get them there tonight. Turner looks hurt. The Scrubs look lost. 3. Mariners need a miracle. 4. I still dislike Bryce Harper. He watched a supposed homer bounce off the wall. Didn't Papelbon choke you out for that same thing you douchebag?? Phillies are trash but they will probably advance.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Ford2112 said:

Now that the playoffs are taking a bit more shape I have a couple takes.  1. Yankee fans suck. You boo Aaron Judge? Say goodbye to him . They don't deserve to win. 2. Padres have a real vibe right now,one of destiny perhaps? Their pitching could get them there tonight. Turner looks hurt. The Scrubs look lost. 3. Mariners need a miracle. 4. I still dislike Bryce Harper. He watched a supposed homer bounce off the wall. Didn't Papelbon choke you out for that same thing you douchebag?? Phillies are trash but they will probably advance.

Phillies fan for over 50 years now, so just a wee bit biased.  But on the Harper longball, there was a guy on first who had to wait to see if the ball was going to be caught.  He made it to third, Harper to second.  So no negative impact on the inning, and his hitting in the postseason so far continues to be huge.  Overall, I've found Harper to always play hard and use it to lead by example.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Namisgr11 said:

Phillies fan for over 50 years now, so just a wee bit biased.  But on the Harper longball, there was a guy on first who had to wait to see if the ball was going to be caught.  He made it to third, Harper to second.  So no negative impact on the inning, and his hitting in the postseason so far continues to be huge.  Overall, I've found Harper to always play hard and use it to lead by example.

My opinion on him will always be the same. He's a prima donna .

• Like 2