MLB 2022

MoeFOH

The beauty of Postseason Baseball is that it doesn't matter how many games you win in the regular season, all that matters is your momentum coming into September and October. You've got to love the fact that the Philadelphia Phillies and San Diego Padres have defied conventional wisdom to potentially playoff in the National League Championship Series. Unless the Dodgers pull a turnaround and start hitting, they will follow the way of the Mets and Braves. Did anyone imagine the Phillies or Padres in the World Series in 2022? That's the beauty of baseball.

In regards to the Phillies, you must credit their manager, Rob Thomson for inducing a calm, understated and positive demeanor within their club culture since taking over from Joe Girardi. I think it goes a long way to explaining their current success.

• Like 4

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two Aussie baseball tragics, @JohnS and I (the handsome chaps below), are starting this thread for all things MLB season 2022...  Spring Training, Trades, Regular Season, Post Season... jump on i

Hey @Chas.Alpha I’ll see you your Hall of Fame pitcher and manager and raise you a hall of famer of my own. I met Ricky Henderson in Cabo back in 2010 the year after he was inducted. Wife and I were w

Blue Jays fan. They’ve taken a good team and added some big pieces. Should be a good year but the AL East is always a grind. 

17 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

My opinion on him will always be the same. He's a prima donna .

And in mine, having seen him up close for three seasons now, the polar opposite.  He plays full out in the field and at the plate.  He's their unquestioned leader in the dugout.  He's played the last five months of the season with a damaged left elbow that will require offseason surgery and forced him to DH.  He took rookie and fellow Las Vegas product Bryson Stott under his wing.  And he's been exemplary off the field and in the community.

• Like 1

All three 100+ win teams in the NL gone. The Yankees on the brink. Only 100+ win team left is HOU and let’s be honest, they’re talented for sure but in some circles they’re not very liked. Just like Harper. 😂 He might be a nice guy but he hasn’t won squat and that agent of his is a real gem. I agree that Rob Thompson settled the boys down and I’m happy that he got an extension before the end of the year. Win, lose, or draw in this next series he’s already gotten them way beyond where the pundits had the Phillies finishing. Heck, they came down to the wire against the Brew Crew and just edged them out. Post season baseball I’m convinced is 33% talent, 33% momentum (especially pitching), and 33% luck. A bounce here, a dropped foul ball ( I love 4 out innings), or a bad call can swing a series. Not to cry over spilled milk, cause the fact is he pitched like $h!+, but game 1 Mets v Padres… Mad Max was getting squeezed on the edges by the home plate ump. Darvish came up and he’s getting borderline pitches called in his favor. All those little things can snowball. I actually think the home plate umpires have had a crap post season. The broadcasts of these games do the fans no favor by painting that stupid box on the screen. One it’s an imaginary box. Two it clearly means ugats to the umps. I'm convinced it’s there to get me to yell at the TV. 

3/4 finalists already in. I think the Phillies v Padres NLCS is as unwatchable a series as you can have. The commissioner is probably wanting to shoot himself in the face. That series will not do huge numbers outside of those markets. Only the Yankees can save baseball from a lackluster finish, and I’m an all out Mets fan Yankee hater. Yankees v Astros would be some drama and excitement. From all remaining teams I’d love to see Cleveland win and I’d be ok with the Astros winning. Can’t stand either of the NL teams, even tho I respect what they’ve done so far. 

#LFGM I’ll go down with this sinking ship

• Like 2

Fun season as an Ms fan. Sucks to get swept, but it really didn’t feel like a sweep, if that makes sense? The future is bright and March will be here before we know it!

• Like 4

I think Padres vs Phillies will be a fun watch. For me at least because I can root against the Phillies.. I'll always root against Houston .and the Yankees are extremely unlikable to me.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 2:50 AM, RedLantern said:

Fun season as an Ms fan. Sucks to get swept, but it really didn’t feel like a sweep, if that makes sense? The future is bright and March will be here before we know it!

If you judge things simply by the scoreline you'd be fooled into thinking it was one-sided but it was nothing but. Games 1 and 2 would have been completely different without Yordan Alvarez. And Game 3? Really? The difference was one hit over 18 innings that went over the fence. Seattle played very well.

On 10/17/2022 at 4:21 AM, Ford2112 said:

I think Padres vs Phillies will be a fun watch. For me at least because I can root against the Phillies.. I'll always root against Houston .and the Yankees are extremely unlikable to me.

I agree, Padres and Phillies will be a fun watch because both teams were not expected to go this far into the postseason and so I wish them both the best. I take it that there will be a large sentimental barracking for Cleveland against New York tomorrow in Game 5?

• Like 2

Interested to see how the yanks will respond to the "baby" gesture from the other night, which I truly don't understand. Can't wait to see how the Phillies experiment ends up in a full seven game series which I can't see lasting any less than three games. 

• Like 1

The postponement of last night’s game is another example of how tone deaf MLB is to the dwindling fan base. First things first, it was going to clear up after 10 pm. It’s not unheard of that a game start circa 10 EST. It happens all the time when the teams play out west. The Yankees charged their fans for parking, beer, and hot dogs at full rate. I seriously dislike the Braves, but during an extended rain delay last week they had a promotion of 50% off of all concessions during the delay. I guess the dirty water dogs in NY can’t be discounted. They let the fans wait 2.5 hours before calling it. No other warnings. Delay. Go home! It also allowed the Yankees to start Nestor on short rest. I said it earlier and I stand by it… it’s not that Phillies and Padres fans shouldn’t be excited about their teams. By all means, root away! However on a national stage nobody cares about those teams. So I feel like MLB did a little of their hocus-pocus to tip the scales on behalf of the Yankees. Again! (Don’t tell me Jeter’s home run against the Orioles wasn’t fan interference) The league wants big market teams in these October games. All I can hope for is for the Astros to sweep the precious Yankees. Three thumbs down for MLB baseball and their decision making department. And before you get your panties in a bunch recall the other postponement in this series. The Yankees v Tribe series had a non travel day off between games in NY to start the series. Schedulers are a joke. Rant over!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ElJavi76 said:

It also allowed the Yankees to start Nestor on short rest.

Equally important it allowed the Yankees to give a day of rest to their best relief pitchers.

I am a Yankees fan and I could see this coming when I saw the forecast--the Yankees would have been fools to play the game after the rain ended.

• Like 1

Hader has been lights out lately. Be interesting to see what the Phillies do tonight. Yankees are just not able to get it done against the cheaters err Astros. If Houstons offense wakes up yankees are done. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ford2112 said:

Hader has been lights out lately. Be interesting to see what the Phillies do tonight. Yankees are just not able to get it done against the cheaters err Astros. If Houstons offense wakes up yankees are done. 

Hard for Yankees to win when striking out 30 times in last 2 games. 

• Like 1

Have  a buddy from Philly, so rooting for the Phillies at this point for his sake, but really just don't want Houston to win it.

• Like 1

Houston have won all their games in the postseason without a loss and by two runs or less. Even though they are up 2-0 in the ALCS I can't see New York beating them overall, yet do I envisage that New York will win at least one game at home of the next two.

In the NLCS, just because Philadelphia won yesterday and the series stands 2-1, and even though traditionally teams that win Game 3 in a seven game series after being tied one-all go on to win 70% of the time, I still think that this series is not a 'fait accompli'. San Diego definitely have the ability to come back and win this series. But for me, the NLCS is close, it can go either way. I'm 50/50 on the result. I think it will come down to one or two big moments in the deciding game/s that will make the difference. That's how close I think these games in the NLCS are.