MLB 2022

MoeFOH

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Two Aussie baseball tragics, @JohnS and I (the handsome chaps below), are starting this thread for all things MLB season 2022...  Spring Training, Trades, Regular Season, Post Season... jump on i

Hey @Chas.Alpha I’ll see you your Hall of Fame pitcher and manager and raise you a hall of famer of my own. I met Ricky Henderson in Cabo back in 2010 the year after he was inducted. Wife and I were w

Blue Jays fan. They’ve taken a good team and added some big pieces. Should be a good year but the AL East is always a grind. 

9 hours ago, JohnS said:

Well, it seems that Lance McCullers couldn't quite execute the off-speed pitches that were so effective from Framber Valdez in Game 2. Five home runs...wow! Bring on Game 4!

Lots of talk this morning about McCullers tipping his pitches. Todd Frasier was on one show and illustrated exactly how Phillies knew which pitch was coming. Glove placement on fastballs and curve totally different. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KCCubano said:

Lots of talk this morning about McCullers tipping his pitches. Todd Frasier was on one show and illustrated exactly how Phillies knew which pitch was coming. Glove placement on fastballs and curve totally different. 

Judging by how different the Phillies were offensively in Game 3 in comparison to Game 2, this would make sense.

Just the second no-hitter in World Series history (the first was Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series), so no Houston's pitches were definitely not 'tipped'!

Now onto Game 5. Gentlemen, will Justin Verlander get his first win in a World Series Game? Will he manage to diminish his 6.07 ERA in World Series Games? Will Noah Syndergaard pitch more than 4 innings?

• Like 2

What can one say about Game 5? In a nutshell, it's not that the Phillies didn't play well (they had their opportunities with runners in scoring position), it's just that the Astros defense was 'stellar'! (And the pun is intended!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It was a great game.  The Phils just couldn't get the clutch hits they needed, and McCormick's ninth inning catch while crashing into the fence in right center probably saved the game for the Astros.

It's unlikely the Phils will win two straight in Houston, but I'm proud of what this club was able to achieve and happy they've found a quality manager during the season who's the winner to take them forward.  And just maybe they can take it to a game 7.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KCCubano said:

Not liking Phillies chances to win 2 straight in Houston but the Nationals did it a few years ago. It can happen. 

I concur completely. However, something deep inside tells me that hubris is unlikely to strike twice in three years.

Interesting tonight as Schwarber is Phillies best sinker ball hitter but has not fared well against lefties like Valdez. Hoskins based on metrics is probably their best bet. Harper has not hit left hander sinker pitchers well in his career. I see only hope is to some how manufacture a few early runs against Valdez. Won't be easy!

• Like 1

On 11/3/2022 at 2:06 PM, Ford2112 said:

It comes down to pitching. I still have Astros in 6 but its been a see saw battle.

Let's see how well this ages haha. Top of the 7th. 

• Like 1

Pretty good series. Houston just had that little extra. I thought Philly had momentum there but they couldn't match up against superior pitching.

• Like 3