EAR: Perfect Box Size?

EAR = Email Assistance Required 

" so Rob I know Habanos won't do anything but I still believe boxes of 15 cigars would be the perfect mix that reduces box price but doesn't make you feel like a cheapskate in a box of 10. Thoughts?  Can you do it for Nudies 109?"

So good people. 

Is a 10 pack too small?

25 too many? (let alone 50)

What is an ideal packaging size today? Have the goalposts moved?

I really would have liked the N1 & N3 to come in packs of 50. 25ct is a good size for the Nudies, as they are relatively inexpensive, but I really wouldn't like to see them below 20ct in a larger format cigar. Below 20ct, and you will have to bump up the price due to loss of economies of scale in shipping.

• Like 3

I feel like the move towards boxes of 10 (even 5 with E2’s) is being driven overwhelming by the incredibly high duties and taxes found in many markets. For new releases in such regions, you’re gonna have a much easier time getting buy in at the 10 count box level vs singles-only. You don’t have to be a cigar merchant to realize that - take a look at the AUD prices for cabs on 24:24. 

In other words, I see no value or advantage in such small boxes except perhaps for ultra-premium cigars like Siglo VI or Behike. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrBirdman said:

I feel like the move towards boxes of 10 (even 5 with E2’s) is being driven overwhelming by the incredibly high duties and taxes found in many markets. For new releases in particular, you’re gonna have a much easier time getting buy in at the box level vs singles only. You don’t have to be a cigar merchant to realize that - take a look at the AUS prices for cabs on 24:24. 

In other words, I see no value or advantage in such small boxes except perhaps for ultra-premium cigars like Siglo VI or Behike. 

I don't disagree. But because much of the CC market is no longer b & m I think 10s serve the consumer well. There would have been little point to 5s or 10s say, 50 years ago when most people would just pass by one of several local tobacconists and pick up 1 or 2 cigars for the day, every day. 

Now, with online being a primary retail channel, 10s are extremely practical. As you point out if you want to boost sales make the cost of entry lower. 25 cigars is a big commitment if you are a very occasional smoker or are unfamiliar with a cigar, or are even concerned about quality. Getting stuck with 9 turds is a lot different than 24. 

Totally agree recent duties and taxes may play a part as well. And I agree they are not a "value" as the 10s are typically more expensive per stick than 25s. But they do reduce risk and lower the cost of entry.

My only gripe is when a cigar only comes in 10s. If it's a cigar I like I want the bulk deal of a 25 or 50. 

• Like 2

I will take them anyway I can get them.  For the sake of trying new ones I really like the quarter boxes offered on 24:24 or 10 ct boxes as well.  I have never purchased a 50 cab, I get nervous thinking the roller might have had a bad day :)

Prefer smaller for storage / price reasons. I'd love to buy a nice 50 cab one day but usually budget / tax and the fact I've only currently got a 70 stick desktop humidor prevent this. Only point I'd add is that didn't Habnos already test teen sized boxes with most of the Trinidad range? 

Assuming we’re living in a world where stock is actually on the shelves… I like a 10 for something new, then 50 cabs. Great to be able to have a small sampler before committing to a box. After sampling, I move all-in. I’ve never had a cigar I liked and thought “damnit, I have way too many of these”. Plus I feel more quick to share knowing I’ve got a half wheel in stock. 

In reality… I’ll take what I can get. 

• Like 1

25 box is my favorite for sure.  Love seeing them lined up in a row when it's opened and also love that there's a dozen more underneath in reserves.  It also creates a re-order trigger for me (when there's stock), first stick out of the bottom row means it's time to get some more.

If the discussion is strictly related to price, I wish all cigars ONLY came in boxes of 25.  Would make it much easier to determine if you were getting enough bang for your buck.  I see the smaller packages as an easier way to overcharge.

• Like 3

25 SLB and dress boxes are perfect for me. 50s when I know I love em or want to long term age (lookin at you, PLPC). I get the 10s for regionals, but feel the 10 box prices are playing a big part in inflating regular production prices (among other things). As @Chibearsv said, all I really want is to know I am getting bang for my buck. 

• Like 2

50 Cabs are great but as the cigars are smoked the cab takes up a lot of room in the humidor given the # of cigars left in the cab. I like 25s, cabs and dress boxes, the best. 

• Like 3

So, its just Personal Preference? 

We've had everything from 1 to 100 cigars mentioned. Haha. 

My personal preference? I love options, variety is the spice of life! I've bought 3 packs, 5ers, lots of 10 counts, a few 12s and 20s, loads of 25s and even some 50 Cabs. I havent been able to get my hands on a cajone yet, but I would if I could get it in the right cigar. 

I get all the "logical" arguments for/against certain sizes, but why would HSA make their packaging decisions based on the tax situation in a few countries? I wish HSA offered more options for more cigars. As others have mentioned, there is a place for many different package sizes, I'd rather see an expansion of options than a reduction to one per cigar. 

I like 10 and 25, 15 feels like a weird half-measure. I don't get the cheapskate problem with 10s, seems like some people worry too much about what other people think, kind of like the worrying that a cigar looks too small if it's a skinny...

I've never bought a 50 cab because I would rather have two 25 boxes where I get cigars to smoke from one while the other stays sealed as long as possible.

When I was getting into cc I was fortunate to have someone supply me a singles of all of the great production sticks. If I had not had access to reasonable singles, small boxes are where I would have gone. 
for me now the 10er is more of a gift or “let’s see what happens to a meh cigar w some age” thing for me. I like slb of 25 or 50.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

I get all the "logical" arguments for/against certain sizes, but why would HSA make their packaging decisions based on the tax situation in a few countries?

It's pretty much every country except the US 😭

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Bijan said:

It's pretty much every country except the US 😭

I know Tobacco Taxes are crazy in a lot of countries, but I thought it was only weight based in a few? In Mexico for example Tobaccco is taxed as a % of value , Something like 160% of value if I remember correctly, plus some base tax per package. That base tax is relatively small, so package size/type has a pretty small affect on the over all price paid. 

I dont know the exact laws everywhere, but I was eluding more to the countries that base their taxes on weight, rather than value or volume. 

2 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

I know Tobacco Taxes are crazy in a lot of countries, but I thought it was only weight based in a few?

Canada is also value based. What I mean is that with 100-200% taxes most people can't afford to buy 100 cigars at a time.

Plus Canada duty free allowance when returning from abroad is officially 50 cigars.

• Like 1

Can depend a lot on your financial position and what country. In Oz, we pay high taxes so I usually buy 6 cigar of my favs. But I do like the 3 box of coro and other Cohiba and some of the more premium cigars. 3 carton of boli libratador for example or 3 box of party Lusitania for the bigger vitolas that you don't smoke as often.

Why don’t cigars come in boxes of 20 instead of 25? Two even rows of 10 instead of a row of 13+12? Would be perfect to have 10, 20, and 50 stick options depending on your funds and how many you want. 😬

On 3/22/2022 at 1:11 AM, Huckleberry said:

I will take them anyway I can get them.  For the sake of trying new ones I really like the quarter boxes offered on 24:24 or 10 ct boxes as well.  I have never purchased a 50 cab, I get nervous thinking the roller might have had a bad day :)

True! I had a 50 Cab of PLPC I think 07's and almost all totally plugged. Also had 50 Cab of Mag 50 that is awful to this day. NO flavor at all. Got me off 50 Cabs for quite a while. 

I think things are fine just the way they are, ‘cept discontinuing the Punch DC 50’s. I meant to get one... 😔

• Like 1