Lighting your cigar - cap uncut or cap cut?

I was watching a short video where the gentleman explained he was shown the "correct" way to light a cigar was with the cap uncut.

The idea behind this was that with the cap uncut there was no airflow through the cigar and therefore no "off" flavours from matches, lighters (gas/kero), or other devices could make their way into the cigar.

So, are you cap cut, or uncut?

Interesting, I’ve never even considered lighting an uncut cigar. I definitely employ the cut/puff/flamethrower method of lighting, but then I’m a rather unrefined island boy.

• Like 1

Cut. Light. I’ve been wrong before... 😳

26 minutes ago, jhalischuk said:

I've always cut it, I remember trying that method a couple times and I didn't make a noticeable difference to me. 

Same for me, I’ve done it but don’t really see a difference. I think it is more important that you light the cigar properly to get it off to a good start. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MichaelJB said:

The idea behind this was that with the cap uncut there was no airflow through the cigar and therefore no "off" flavours from matches, lighters (gas/kero), or other devices could make their way into the cigar.

download (1).jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ElJavi76 said:

I always cut first to test out the draw. If you don't, and I've done it before, and you're plugged things can get messy.

I find that the perfecdraw is at its best when the cigar isn't lit yet. If you pull a bunch of tobacco from the plugged point it's best to push air thru the foot to clear out the inside of the barrel. If you're lit you don't have access to the foot any longer and you end up with tobacco shrapnel all over the place. Draw is too important to skip the cut first. My two cents. 

Ditto. 

• Like 1

Interesting.
Never heard of this before.

I have never had any issues using a butane triple flame torch to light with the capp cut and puffing while lighting. Initial taste is the same as it is after lighting.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Thankfully I'm not the connoisseur that others on this forum are.  I mean that by saying that my palate isn't sophisticated enough to find any difference in cigar lighting method to flavor/cigar enjoyment.  I definitely punch or cut and re-cut if necessary to get the draw comfortable before lighting.  I also enjoy the cold draw of a really good cigar for quite a while before I light 'em up.

• Like 2

Thankfully I'm not the connoisseur that others on this forum are.  I mean that by saying that my palate isn't sophisticated enough to find any difference in cigar lighting method to flavor/cigar enjoyment.  I definitely punch or cut and re-cut if necessary to get the draw comfortable before lighting.  I also enjoy the cold draw of a really good cigar for quite a while before I light 'em up.
Same with my palate. I never taste the various things others taste in their cigars with the exception of earth, wood, leather, grassy, metallic, and mustyness.

Never any of the food flavors others describe

• Like 1

It seems to me that lighting a cigar before cutting it comes with several disadvantages and zero advantages in modern times:

Cons:

- can't test the draw and if too tight you can't correct it as efficiently with a PD

- can't taste the pre-light flavors

- for people like me who smoke outside, I like to know if the cigar has an acceptable draw before going out so I don't have to come back inside to get another cigar in case it's bad

Pros:

- don't get off-flavors into the cigars, but what off-flavors do you get from a modern torch lighter loaded with highly purified butane?

With that said to each his own.

• Like 3

It seems to me that lighting a cigar before cutting it comes with several disadvantages and zero advantages in modern times:
Cons:
- can't test the draw and if too tight you can't correct it as efficiently with a PD
- can't taste the pre-light flavors
- for people like me who smoke outside, I like to know if the cigar has an acceptable draw before going out so I don't have to come back inside to get another cigar in case it's bad
Pros:
- don't get off-flavors into the cigars, but what off-flavors do you get from a modern torch lighter loaded with highly purified butane?

With that said to each his own.
Good points.

I agree 100% with everything.

That video might have been mine. I've been using the light then cut method for 8 or so years now. 

Edit: and in my video I make it clear several times that the correct way to enjoy a cigar is the way you decide, lest people be offended by me providing an unsolicited opinion. 

• Like 1

That video might have been mine. I've been using the light then cut method for 8 or so years now. 
Edit: and in my video I make it clear several times that the correct way to enjoy a cigar is the way you decide, lest people be offended by me providing an unsolicited opinion. 

@Cigar Surgeon

Have you honestly noticed any difference in lighting uncut?

5 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

@Cigar Surgeon

Have you honestly noticed any difference in lighting uncut?

Yes.

Prior to that I'd say there was always a bit of harshness or sharpness to the first half inch I smoked. Since the majority of the cigars I smoke are for review, my goal is to have as neutral an environment as possible.

Edit: But as I say in my video, it's not about what I taste, it's about what you taste. Try it yourself on a cigar you smoke regularly and see if you notice a difference.

• Like 2