That creeping inevitability...

8 minutes ago, Capt. Corona said:

I f people in the pubs are making the rules we're all in trouble! ?

Perhaps.......but I would trust the plebs in the pub before the politicians in parliament any day :D

• Like 4

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think the population will buy a lockdown a second time around.  The Genie is out of the bottle. A significant % of the public simply won't comply.  

☝️ Your honour, the Government allowed 100,000  people to protest BLM without  a fine.    Case dismissed 

I detest these arrogant, ignorant Aholes that run around spewing out how it's against their civil rights to be told they have to wear a mask (face covering) when in a public environment and social dis

1 hour ago, FOHrty9er said:

Love this.  Thank you for the positive info!

I am a small business owner.  I am very fortunate and proud that we have not been affected thus far, nor do I anticipate we will be (knocking on wood as we speak) as long as we continue to work harder now than ever before.  Sadly I cannot say the same for many friends and others in our community that operate small businesses.  This second wave is closing operations left and right.

I honestly don't know how to feel.  2008 was a very challenging time for our business and nearly decimated my family and employees.  Now to be OK through this doesn't feel right. Very torn but extremely grateful.  At some point the onus needs to be place on individuals and allow the free market to perform.  This is my humble opinion anyway.  Businesses shuttering due to the decisions of politicians is not the path to prosperity.

Thanks to everyone chiming in in this subject!

I honestly feel for you and any employees you have.  I'm about as small of business as one can get with a total number of employees being 3.  Me, myself and I.  I've been knocking on wood myself for 20 plus years trying to make sure I keep my head above the waves.  "Who moved my cheese" by Spencer Johnson is an interesting read and has helped me over the years when I've had to reinvent myself because I couldn't find my old cheese anymore.  Good luck going forward.

9 minutes ago, Capt. Corona said:

I f people in the pubs are making the rules we're all in trouble! ?

the pub test is simply an aussie saying that basically means if a politician is trying some nonsense, if you tried the same thing in a pub with your mates, would they nod and agree or would they call you out for sprouting crap. if the latter, it fails the pub test.

all that said, not certain that blokes in pubs could do any worse than most politicians. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

the pub test is simply an aussie saying that basically means if a politician is trying some nonsense, if you tried the same thing in a pub with your mates, would they nod and agree or would they call you out for sprouting crap. if the latter, it fails the pub test.

all that said, not certain that blokes in pubs could do any worse than most politicians. 

You have pubs over there? ?

I can't believe so many people are still falling for some of the obvious nonsense that is being pushed our way regarding the virus.  It's pure election year politics and is all about control and compliance.  Really is amazing how a little fear causes so many people to lose all sense.

As for the masks, before they became a hot political issue for social control, here's what the CDC's Journal had to say about them:

Disposable medical masks (also known as surgical masks) are loose-fitting devices that were designed to be worn by medical personnel to protect accidental contamination of patient wounds, and to protect the wearer against splashes or sprays of bodily fluids (36). There is limited evidence for their effectiveness in preventing influenza virus transmission either when worn by the infected person for source control or when worn by uninfected persons to reduce exposure. Our systematic review found no significant effect of face masks on transmission of laboratory-confirmed influenza.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article#tnF2

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

47 minutes ago, Grateful13 said:

I can't believe so many people are still falling for some of the obvious nonsense that is being pushed our way regarding the virus.  It's pure election year politics and is all about control and compliance.  Really is amazing how a little fear causes so many people to lose all sense.

As for the masks, before they became a hot political issue for social control, here's what the CDC's Journal had to say about them:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article#tnF2

two things. 

'control and compliance' by whom? surely not the current administration? if so, they perhaps could have handled it all a little better. if not them, then who?

your article from the CDC is from back in May. 5 days ago, the very same organisation had a very different take on it, recommending masks. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover-guidance.html

• Thanks 1

Here in Canada it was politics that led to recommending against masks at first. The fear was that people would hoard n95 masks and there wouldn't be enough for frontline workers.

1 hour ago, Ken Gargett said:

what is interesting is that you know what happens on home and away. 

hoisted by your own, i believe. 

Meant accents. I have no interest in that clap trap.

The only Australian programming I watch is on the ABC. Lots of good stuff on the ABC.

2 minutes ago, Homer said:

I have been MD for 16 years and during that time I have noticed that people are not generally very smart!

i love that this comes from Homer Simpson.

and i would suggest that this qualifies for the understatement of the year. you are being far too kind. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, djrey said:

Once they have total compliance there they’ll require everyone to be microchipped so they can see if people are gathering in large groups. You know, for the greater good of society.

That's what I am afraid of.  This ploy has to end.  We need to take stand.  We need a clear line of when masks and social distancing is no longer required.  This is hardly our first pandemic and won't be the last one.  I am not going to wear a mask or social distance indefinitely.   I am no way going to be micro-chipped either.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Capt. Corona said:

Now you just want to argue for the sake of arguing.  Those questions basically are self answering.

For me, personally, I wouldn't care if I have to wear one for the rest of life if I thought it was evenly remotely protecting others around me from anything that I could possibly spread to another human.  Whether I know that person or not.  But unlike so many others in this country, that's just the unselfish way I am.

Explain to me wanting to know at which point self distancing and no mask requirements are "self answering".  What criteria defines when it is allowed to go back to normal?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Explain to me wanting to know at which point self distancing and no mask requirements are "self answering".  What criteria defines when it is allowed to go back to normal?

That's a totally fair question.  Would like to know the answer myself.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Whenever you feel like you're in control.  If you're one that feels you can handle it.  Have at it.

As mentioned above, I'll wear one the rest of my life if I think it will help stop someone around me from being infected with any of my droplets.  I would only hope others would feel the same way.  But they won't and don't as witnessed many times across the wire.  People are quick to make excuses when it comes to helping others....or even themselves for that matter.

36 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I am no way going to be micro-chipped either.

If you carry a cell phone, too late.  No surgery necessary

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, bundwallah said:

The world economy survived two world wars and institutional robbery in 2008.  Economies come back, the dead don't. 

Love ya bro, but hate this platitude.  Economic calamity has preceded the worst atrocities committed from the beginning of time.     

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rcarlson said:

Love ya bro, but hate this platitude.  Economic calamity has preceded the worst atrocities committed from the beginning of time.     

I can't say I disagree.  I think the point still stands.  The economy can come back.  And while there is a lot of economic pain going on, the hit is "temporary".  That word is in quotes as temporary depends on how well people pull together to get over this vs fight the measures to combat it tooth and nail.  Some countries are definitely managing this better than others, the proof is in the numbers.  I think of all the companies and businesses that espouse how well they can weather change and adapt and come out stronger in the end. I'm not seeing that as much now.  You're seeing companies running to their respective governments for bailouts right out of the gate.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bundwallah said:

The world economy survived two world wars and institutional robbery in 2008.  Economies come back, the dead don't. 

My point from all the way back around the first of March.  Example is plain and clear how people want to pretend out here in Arizona. Our fine gov "reopened" the state just before Memorial weekend to boost the ailing economy.  This was good for everyone and we were excited to see it so we could start back on a path of some type of recovery.  The problem....people don't know how to act as a whole.  Everyone threw their masks in the garbage and screw any type of social distancing.  Youngsters were horny and packed the bars and the old people were tired of their spouses cooking at home and packed the restaurants.  We finally for the first time decided on a curb side pick up from our fav for the first time in months.  It was like Arizona palooza everywhere....few masks seen and social distancing out the window.  Reporters walking up and down the street interviewing young kids over in college town.  One interview sticks in mind of a college youngster refusing to wear a mask because his friends don't and they may make "fun" of him if he did.  Stated he had close family members die from this crap so he "probably" should wear one but "probably" won't!  Peer pressure doing it's finest work.  He'll probably get elected for president someday.

Do a search and see the results of all this madness a month later.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Capt. Corona said:

And who doesn't?  All this worry about big brother spying on you is about 20+ years too late.

I spent the late 90s in Telecom (Canada).  The equipment I saw back then to catch keywords on conversations, record them, link x.400 endpoints, etc was insane and for the most part it was in plain sight.  It doesn't mean I like it or endorse it mind you.  Outside of telecom, credit cards companies and banks also track you and in some more useful cases, assist you when it comes to anti-fraud measures.

• Like 2

Here's a good summary of the issue. Massachusetts has done a good job of containment since the terrible early outbreak.

https://theweek.com/articles/923075/massachusetts-exception-americas-coronavirus-failure?fbclid=IwAR2zVd-vU2j5aI4suXkVqXnx8bEUIZCRknmVs0ubS53xo1LqoCm13Vgg93Q