Best ways to cleanse your palette between cigars

I've been smoking a lot more cigars than usual under these lockdown conditions and was wondering how others clean their palette when smoking multiple cigars in a day (if at all).  I like to brush my teeth and use mouthwash to reset my palette and have a flavored sparkling water or coffee to get reset.  What other good methods/products/drinks/food items do you guys use to achieve a reset?  

I think part of it is just how you're made up. I can't smoke a cigar a day, it just kills my ability to taste. I can have one every other day but more than that and I might as well smoke cigarettes. 

Tried lots of different things over the years and I've come to out it down to it just being a individual thing

• Like 4

Brush my teeth, coffee and unsalted almonds. 

4 hours ago, CaptainQuintero said:

I think part of it is just how you're made up. I can't smoke a cigar a day, it just kills my ability to taste. I can have one every other day but more than that and I might as well smoke cigarettes. 

Tried lots of different things over the years and I've come to out it down to it just being a individual thing

Same here.  If I am smoking 2 cigars in a day it's always the first cigar taste 10 times better than the second one. 

• Like 3

Chew on a piece of mint.  Need mint?  Make/order a Mojito to go with your first cigar.  ;)

I also use those Henry Clay mints between smokes.  Pop 1 or 2.  Drink some water and it does a nice job cleaning the palate and your cigar breath.  (when done of course)

• Like 4

Somewhere there was a test on palate refreshing for cigar smoking.  Oddly, number 1 was Orange Juice; and number 2 was Rose Champagne.

i was skeptical but 2 buddies and I tested it out during a 4 cigar session and it worked.  Go figure?!?

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Interestingly, I have the exact same experience if I smoke on consecutive days. Actually thought something was weird with my palate ? - so reassuring to know I'm not alone ?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, CigarZen said:

Somewhere there was a test on palate refreshing for cigar smoking.  Oddly, number 1 was Orange Juice; and number 2 was Rose Champagne.

i was skeptical but 2 buddies and I tested it out during a 4 cigar session and it worked.  Go figure?!?

I saw the FOHrensics and still need to try the OJ with the cigar test as the #1 pairing.  I usually don't smoke multiple cigars in a day, but Zoom sessions, alcohol & hangouts with friends quickly kick that rule of thumb to the curve.  I definitely agree with starting with lighter smokes first and moving to the darker/bolder sticks after with exception to smok the more expensive sticks 1st and the everyday smokes 2nd. 

Will have to try chewing on some fresh mint from the garden next time.  

1 hour ago, CigarZen said:

I started drinking OJ with cigars when I saw the taste test on YouTube some time ago ... blows me away each time.  I don’t know how cigars taste so much better with OJ, they just do!  Now it’s my go-to!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, cmbarton said:

I started drinking OJ with cigars when I saw the taste test on YouTube some time ago ... blows me away each time.  I don’t know how cigars taste so much better with OJ, they just do!  Now it’s my go-to!

Haha I remember that and still do from time to time.

I found eating fruits between cigars helps a ton. Actually almost any food.  Also giving your palate a rest for 15-20 mins.

• Like 1

I've never smoked two cigars in a day (just hard to get around to from a time perspective to be honest) but I swear by a citrus flavored sparkling water. I smoked a cigar once, drank some sparkling water, then fell asleep watching TV and woke up hours later with no cigar funk in my mouth. Changed my world! Haa haa

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CigarZen said:

Put them together for a mimosa!  

• Like 2

On 5/7/2020 at 12:59 PM, 99call said:

Coke is very good. it's phosphoric acid inclusion, really strips out the palate well.   

So many people say this, but i just can't get over the "my mouth is coated in high fructose corn syrup" feeling that comes along with it. Gross. Absolutely and utterly FOUL.

Orange juice and/or Canada dry diet cranberry ginger ale. That and brushing your teeth with only water (no toothpaste - including residual on the brush. Clean your toothbrush).

Fun fact: the reason oj tastes like murder after brushing your teeth - sodium laureth sulfate. It's an ingredient in toothpaste which blocks the sweet receptors in your tastebuds, so all you can taste is the unadulterated citric acid. Blech.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

So many people say this, but i just can't get over the "my mouth is coated in high fructose corn syrup" feeling that comes along with it. Gross. Absolutely and utterly FOUL.

Orange juice and/or Canada dry diet cranberry ginger ale. That and brushing your teeth with only water (no toothpaste - including residual on the brush. Clean your toothbrush).

Fun fact: the reason oj tastes like murder after brushing your teeth - sodium laureth sulfate. It's an ingredient in toothpaste which blocks the sweet receptors in your tastebuds, so all you can taste is the unadulterated citric acid. Blech.

If you want Coca-Cola without the HFS, look no further than the glass bottled "Mexican" Cokes.

This is the Coke we had before the HFS took over the planet.

Also, never knew why toothpaste and OJ was so absolutely world crushingly awful.  I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than to ever taste that combination ever again.  Funny how something done at a young age can set such a strong response for the rest of your life. 

• Like 2

an apple works. I mostly take a break for a while and can smoke 3 cigars a day without loosing my palate, but sometimes, during big events, meetings and zoom conferences, I smoke cigars almost one by one. so I first of all drink a lot (coffee, tea, water and sometimes something alcoholic when we have or I better say used to have offline events). it also helps, but still the palate might get weaker.

• Like 1