Best ways to cleanse your palette between cigars

Food helps with this for me. If I plan to really separate the experiences I will nibble on something in-between and have a beverage that is not water to wash it down, this mostly resets my palette. It can also help prepare your stomach if the later cigar is on the strong side from a nicotine perspective.  

On 5/9/2020 at 10:10 AM, scap99 said:

If you want Coca-Cola without the HFS, look no further than the glass bottled "Mexican" Cokes.

This is the Coke we had before the HFS took over the planet.

Also, never knew why toothpaste and OJ was so absolutely world crushingly awful.  I'd rather get kicked in the nuts than to ever taste that combination ever again.  Funny how something done at a young age can set such a strong response for the rest of your life. 

I've had the cane-sugar-equivalent versions of a bunch of sodas. I just don't like sugary drinks - whether it's HFCS or cane sugar is of no consequence. Refined sugar is refined sugar is refined sugar, as far as my palate is concerned.

I can (and do) do diet coke. Cleanses the palate ok (not as well as cran ginger) but doesn't leave the "my mouth is coated in sugar" feeling.

It's ironic. The flavor spectrum I'm LEAST sensitive to in my cigars (sweetness) is the one that can most easily overwhelm/desensitize my palate to other flavors, in a beverage. Go figure.

38 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

I've had the cane-sugar-equivalent versions of a bunch of sodas. I just don't like sugary drinks - whether it's HFCS or cane sugar is of no consequence. Refined sugar is refined sugar is refined sugar, as far as my palate is concerned.

I can (and do) do diet coke. Cleanses the palate ok (not as well as cran ginger) but doesn't leave the "my mouth is coated in sugar" feeling.

It's ironic. The flavor spectrum I'm LEAST sensitive to in my cigars (sweetness) is the one that can most easily overwhelm/desensitize my palate to other flavors, in a beverage. Go figure.

I can't do the "diet" drinks.

My wife and I both like the Zevia soft drinks and Virgil's Zero Sugar Root Beer.

1 hour ago, scap99 said:

I can't do the "diet" drinks.

My wife and I both like the Zevia soft drinks and Virgil's Zero Sugar Root Beer.

I like La Croix.  The ingredients are Carbonated water, and natural flavors.  It has just the right amount of flavor to make it better than plain seltzer.  There are a lot of different brands, but I like this one the best.  Coconut is my favorite, but they are all pretty good.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

Coconut is my favorite, but they are all pretty good.

This one is my favorite as well albeit, not always easy to obtain.  I just tried this la Croix the other day with a cigar at the fiancés parents house. It was a fantastic pairing.  Pallet cleansing for sure and has a coconut vanilla hint to it that went very well with the fuller bodied stick I was smoking at the time.  There was a hibiscus one they had as well.  That one I was not so much a fan of.. 

LaCroix_Can-Flarors_Limoncello_A_Vertical.thumb.jpg.a36843a63fe434071b6a90ca5edad72c.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SigmundChurchill said:

I like La Croix.  The ingredients are Carbonated water, and natural flavors.  It has just the right amount of flavor to make it better than plain seltzer.  There are a lot of different brands, but I like this one the best.  Coconut is my favorite, but they are all pretty good.

Need to try that, but I'm addicted to Topo Chico Twist of Lime.  Hardly anything produces a more satisfying belch.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2020 at 9:10 AM, scap99 said:

If you want Coca-Cola without the HFS, look no further than the glass bottled "Mexican" Cokes.

This is the Coke we had before the HFS took over the planet.

Mexican Coke is excellent when paired with a cigar!  I’ve never liked soda, and maybe it was because of the HFCS because on occasion I do enjoy a Mexican Coke.

I especially reach for Mexican Coke when I need distract myself from drinking but still want something in my hand that’s in a glass bottle and needs bottle opener, like Topo Chico.  I know that probably sounds crazy but for someone like me who has struggled with drinking, that’s a helpful trick.

• Like 2