"From the Hip" : Rate these 5

From the Hip...Rate them   

175 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a hunch.  

Have a crack at rating the following Robusto's.  'From the hip" means don't overthink it. Gut feel....first thing that comes to your head. 

Let's see what patterns emerge :cigar:

38 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

I have a hunch.  

Have a crack at rating the following Robusto's.  'From the hip" means don't overthink it. Gut feel....first thing that comes to your head. 

Let's see what patterns emerge :cigar:

Wanna know your hunch!

16 minutes ago, Sorrowful said:

I also just realized that the Trinidad Esmerelda is not on this list

This is not meant to be an inclusive list of Robusto. Simply an exercise to explore a theory. Let's have a look at it when we get to 100 or so votes ;)

19 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Wow,  Epi 2 getting the most love. Didn't see that coming.

It could be due to recent instances of offerings on 24:24. I've picked up a couple of quarter packs in the last 12 months and they've been better than they were a few years ago...well, at least, for me.

19 minutes ago, Sorrowful said:

I also just realized that the Trinidad Esmeralda is not on this list

The Trinidad Esmeralda is a slightly bigger ring gauge and longer cigar too. These robustos are all 50 ring gauge x 124 mm (or just under 5 inches). I mean, the Juan Lopez Seleccion No.2 has been left off but that might have askewed El Pres' poll, as it no doubt it would have been very popular going by recent FoH member reception.

I have come to realize that I LOVE the PSD4 if it has less than 3 years of age but can be a pass for me once aged. My experience with HdM Epi 2 is that when they are on they are spectacular, but they mostly miss the mark for me. I had similar experience with JL 2s, got one (from a Christmas sampler) that blew me away and every one after was just blah and felt I would never find one as good as my first. BRCs have just been ok. I LOVE a good RASS and CORO.  

I love Robustos and definitely smoke the most of this vitola... of that list I would rank them CoRo, PSD4, RASS  (close between 2 and 3), BRC (I prefer the BBF) and the HDM Epi 2 last...I am still yet to have one that is good. I find them very bland. 

• Like 2

The RASS has a special place in my humidor based mostly on sentimental value but with that said I've only had 2 boxes and both are fantastic(1 I finished already and the other just started). The RASS is the first Cuban cigar I had that wowed me but it took about 3.5 years of age to get there. Every PSD4 I've had has been really good but I've not had a box yet...on my buy now list. I've only had 1 good CoRo and it was spectacular but I've had about 5 other that were meh and for the price point I wouldn't roll the dice on a box. I've not had a great Epi 2 yet and I've had numerous. BRC are good but not great...again never had a box. I prefer BBF. Also, to be fair, I prefer hermoso no.4 to robustos and I prefer lonsdales/dalias, churchills and corona gordas(in that order) to all other vitolas.

• Like 1

Yes, I would have given the JL2 a "Love them". I am currently enjoying a recently opened 2008 box. Yep, that's 2008 JL2. Rich with flavor, still medium bodied with loads of spice. Tastes like cocoa dusted orange marmalade. 

• Like 1

These results aren’t what I was expecting, there are a lot more passes than I would have assumed. The Epi 2 particularly is taking a bit of a beating at the moment. While I’m not a big fan of them, I find them pretty inoffensive so didn’t opt to pass on them.

I will be interested to see what the initial theory was 

When I think about why I answered the way I did,I realize it is due to poor construction over many years.

There have been a few very good cigars,but mostly poor construction is holding me back.

15 hours ago, Sorrowful said:

I also just realized that the Trinidad Esmerelda is not on this list

It's only been out a few months and it's not a Robusto either. I can't see how it would be included?

What was your train of thought for including?

I’m not too surprised by the HdM results, I have a 2017 box that have been smoking extremely consistently, whereas CoRo either knocks my socks off or leaves me looking with disappointment at socks still on my feet. They’re always a GOOD cigar but when you’re expecting too much they can occasionally fall short.

Bolivar may be my new favorite marca, my first royal corona had no edge and tons of flavor

• Like 1

It wasn't hard to vote on these, but the age equation makes a big impact and would sway my vote from either side of the spectrum.  For example, fresh CoRo with less than 2-3 years of age on it is a hard pass, however, with 4-5+ years of age is most likely a Love It vote.  

• Like 1