What do most adults who have never been to Chicago most associate with the city?

What do most adults who have never been to Chicago most associate with the city?  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Even though I know the lovely @canadianbeaver has responded, I can't help but think Oprah would have a much higher voter turnout if we accurately represented the female voters? I'm stunned Oprah is pitching a shutout! Or could it be that Oprah is considered "a ctizen of the world" and not associated with Chicago anymore?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ABE FROHMAN, THE SAUSAGE KING OF CHICAGO!

Malort.

Corrupt

3 hours ago, Buck14 said:

I stared this poll in the Chicago Habanos Society Club but thought we would get a more meaningful, statistically relevant response here.

Let's also rank our top 3.

So for me:

Jordan

Oprah

Capone

BUT, if we are talking non-Americans then it's:

Capone

Jordan

(clearly the top two)

then...

Oprah?

I'm not sure?

For a city that absolutely abuses 2 amendment rights, you guys have lots of gun/murder problems.

• Like 2

For me personally (as I have never visited)? I think of freezing, windy weather, Chicago Cubs and White Sox finally winning the World Series, the Chicago Bulls dominant-NBA era and funnily enough, Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Likewise, when I think of my hometown, Sydney, I see it every time I view the Matrix.

• Like 1

Before I ever visited Chicago my first response would have been windy/cold. I’ve been a number of times now and the thing I think of when i think of Chicago is the great architecture. It is my favorite large city in the USA. 

• Like 2

Just now, Burningman said:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off for sure. I saw the movie at a young age and will still watch it periodically with younger people in the family. It's a quality 80s film.

I grew up only 2 houses away from the house where the Ferrari went out the window.  The actual owner of that house collected cars and that room in the movie really was his garage.  I doubt that they used one of his own collection to toss out the window though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Notsocleaver said:

My first thought was: corruption, but since that wasn't there I went Shootings and Murders.

when corruption fails to get the job done, murder is often the only place to turn ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, PaulPower said:

Wind (it’s not really that windy, but people just won’t let that go)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last time I visited Chicago (around this time of year) the heavy snow was horizontal.     From the covered hotel entry-way smoking area (where I was smoking cigars, of course) I never saw any snow actually hit the ground!

really interesting post. be good to see it done for a series of cities around the world. 

i have been there but literally for perhaps an hour back in the early 90s, on a greyhound bus crossing the country. we literally drove to the bus stop and then drove out. could not stay as i had been held up in hospital with gangrene and peritonitis from a burst appendix (let me tell you, no better way to ensure you get a double seat to yourself than letting your shirt ride up to show that blood-soaked bandage (okay, not blood-soaked but a big bandage across your gut) and needed to catch up with friends in jackson hole. i remember it being cold and very windy (must have been unlucky). 

so if that does not rule me out, i voted bears. those 85 bears will forever stay in the memory. wonderful side (nearly as good as the 91 skins). ditka certainly. mcmahon, singletary, peyton, the fridge, dent, marshall, a heap more. that was my immediate reaction. 

jordan very much, though because he came from somewhere else - virginia? - then went to baseball, golf, then the stint with the wizards etc, i don't link him so strongly these days. 

had no idea oprah came from there. and even less interest. 

i know the ban on politics but surely we can include obama on this list - there is absolutely no need to give a view on his positives/negatives etc (unless you are on life support and really don't care if you are still on the forum tomorrow), but i think he is someone a great many think of when chicago is mentioned (not to include him would be like having a list of famous americans and being forced to leave jfk off it). 

the murders is interesting. from offshore, i had not realised that it was that bad there. also, i lived in DC when it was the murder capital of the world. some 600 plus, for a population that was then 600,000 or thereabouts. so i still think of DC that way. 

capone for sure, but i also think that a lot of non-americans tend to think of new york whenever we think of the mafia - probably thanks to the godfather films. 

pizza? seriously? for naples perhaps, although i am certain i will now receive the appropriate lesson in best pizzas (not much of a fan of pizza so forgive me). 

9 hours ago, PaulPower said:

Wind (it’s not really that windy, but people just won’t let that go)

When a friend went on "Wheel of Fortune" (Aus version), the question was:

"Chicago is also known as the what?

The board was "_ _ NDY _ _TY". My friend's answer? Candy CIty.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

Malort.

Yep. You’ve been.

Craft cocktails, great food scene. Cool neighborhoods. Nobody talks about those. 

Good people too.

It is pretty damned cold and windy in the winter.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

When a friend went on "Wheel of Fortune" (Aus version), the question was:

"Chicago is also known as the what?

The board was "_ _ NDY _ _TY". My friend's answer? Candy CIty.

"your friend", fuzz? come on, fess up. we all know that was you. 

happy christmas.

and yes, the blues brothers - forgot them. 

I was born and raised in Chicago, and I think the answer to this has changed a lot over time.  At one time I think it was Capone and the whole 30's gangster scene, for a while it was The Blues Brothers.  I think the Cubs/Wrigley have always been prominent nationally.  But sadly now, justified or no, gun murders seem to be the first thing a lot of people go to - the whole "Chiraq" thing the national media loves to talk about.

BTW, I question the OP's credentials - only a New Yorker would put "yuck" after deep dish pizza.

• Haha 1

I'm kinda glad Jordan tops Oprah. The bears ... Takes me back! They were what got me into signing up with the AF team at Cardiff Uni! Maybe I shoulda followed the 49ers instead... And the BB's! Yes! Beyond that I have no idea what Chicago is....

9 hours ago, Deeg said:

BTW, I question the OP's credentials - only a New Yorker would put "yuck" after deep dish pizza.

Only worse pizza on the planet is New York style pizza!

Gimme Neopolitan style pizza anyday or thin crust or ultra thin crust. 

• Like 2

Only worse pizza on the planet is New York style pizza!
Gimme Neopolitan style pizza anyday or thin crust or ultra thin crust. 

All pizza is delicious, they are just different. Variety is the spice of life.

*note: This does not apply to California pizza. Please stop putting figs, uncooked tomato slices, and avocado on pizza

• Like 2