Habanos bands requiring a new update

I like the nostaglia of an old box of Cubans and the past it represents.  Recent updates have been good, notably Quai D’Orsay and Vegueros, but I feel like other brands could use a refresh/reboot. Some brands lend themselves to constant updates, ie. Cohiba.  Some have tastefully updated, ie. Montecristo.  Some don’t necessarily need an update, ie. Partagas.

Perhaps all that is needed is a band update, not necessarily a full blown update.  What brand do you think could use a dose of capitalism?  

Top of my mind is RG.  That bands are pathetic.  They need proper cigar paper and a serious refresh.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I quite like the old style bands of JL/RG/SP. 

I am pretty sure a new band wouldn't reignite them but they are dead (mid to long term) if a holistic marketing solution isn't studied, test marketed and adopted. 

• Like 3

I think they should think long and hard before messing with their brand designs.  Especially the bands.

I can't even look at Cohibas anymore.  That stupid, over-sized, over-designed, hologram band ruined what was probably the cleanest and most modern cigar aesthetic in their catalog.  It brings a tear to my eye.  I was really fond of the Cohiba look, so I'm bitter about it haha.  Meh.  Forget it.  It's embarrassing to look at.  ?

• Like 2

Don’t touch JL, Upmann, RA, Bolivar, Trinidad, Partagas or Panza. Love those bands. I also think the new QdO bands are way worse than the simple orange ones. ?

I would update RyJ, San Cristobal and VR.

• Like 4

Well, some updates were done in order to make it harder to fake.

Vegueros was ugly before, now even uglier - maybe they would make it worse :)

One gripe mentioned above is the similarity between JL and SLR which is annoying. On the other hand, with only one SLR left in regular production , I guess the problem may be overblown :lookaround:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HDGSN said:

I would update RyJ, San Cristobal and VR.

I agree that SC and VR need updating.  I hope they leave RyJ alone; it's a CLASSIC brand image.  I'm very fond of it.  ?  That includes the bands.

Cuban cigars have a deep history and I think their older/core brand images put them above the rest of the world.  I would hate to see any more of them transitioned into modernized bling - for whatever reason.

Of course, what we know and love means little.  HSA doesn't really care what we think, they will do what sells.

1 minute ago, crking3 said:

You can’t microstamp a cigar with no band right ? Am I mistaken here ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duh... I didn't even realize that goof.  I was thinking that they could keep bands simple and clean but microstamp them.  Was reading what I wanted to see.  My wife says I do that with my hearing too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

As I live on this side of the pond. I naturally enjoy and value the old school more European styling of boxes and bands. All changes I'm seeing seem to be very American. Shiny and gaudy

Whilst I'm happy for those who like this kind of thing. Personally I think it makes the packaging look cheap and trashy.

All that glistens is not gold!

• Like 4

As I live on this side of the pond. I naturally enjoy and value the old school more European styling of boxes and bands. All changes I'm seeing seem to be very American. Shiny and gaudy
 Whilst I'm happy for those who like this kind of thing. Personally I think it makes the packaging look cheap and trashy.
All that glistens is not gold!
"Glisters" actually. Sorry, can't help it

Sent from my ActionMan walkie-talkie

• Haha 1

I prefer minimalist or no band at all. I like JL and the old QdO bands.

When it comes to NC I will pretty much not purchase a cigar if the band is crazy. The very good (imo) non Cubans have simple bands. Warped, Tatuaje, Illusione, Padron. There may be some embossing or filigree styling, but nothing shiny or gaudy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The new QDO bands are awful.

The only new bands that look any good and feel 'Cuban' are from the Italian RE's - La Escepcion and the Flor de Cano Casanova. Everything else looks like a bad NC rip off.

Edit: The RA bands on the Extra and Swiss Perfecto are spot on too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Blakes said:

The new QDO bands are awful.

The only new bands that look any good and feel 'Cuban' are from the Italian RE's - La Escepcion and the Flor de Cano Casanova. Everything else looks like a bad NC rip off.

Edit: The RA bands on the Extra and Swiss Perfecto are spot on too.

Yep, I think you're spot on with this.  There is so much history and quality looking backwards, The only need to look forwards, is to sell to those who have AD disorder. Sadly they have all the cash!

Would love to see the return of these, 

Screenshot 2019-02-01 at 12.28.49.jpg

• Like 2

I rather enjoy the understated look of the RG bands. I couldn't picture having my wonderful Perlas with anything else other than the current band. It's just too much.

There are few things I find more annoying in the cigar world than billboards on cigars, mostly NC. Nothing detracts from the quality of a wrapper than 3 bands and a ribbon on the foot or a giant paper sleeve covering 80% of your unnecessarily long named whatever,  which is another issue itself.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, MD Puffer said:

I'd rather they change the glue formulation so that they were easier to remove.

I'm starting to think that this is may be part of their security measures, as it makes it harder to reuse bands if they've been butchered upon removal.  And if you see some of the horror shows on FB you'll know what I mean.  And given this is Habanos at the helm. Whether or not this "feature" is intentional remains to be seen. :)

• Like 2