most famous quote of all time...

most famous quote of all time...  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For reasons unknown, the other day I was thinking about famous quotes.

So what is the most famous quote of all time. By quote, saying, cliché, soundbite etc  etc etc. Here are some contenders, for a poll. And please feel free to suggest others. Some of these are not in full but enough to identify (well, if you can’t, obviously it won’t be getting your vote).

“One small step for man…”

“Houston, we had a problem”

“We are going to need a bigger boat”

“To be or not to be”

“I am the greatest”

“Luke, I am your father”

“I have a dream”

“Elementary, my dear Watson”

“Do you feel lucky, punk? Well, do ya?”

“Tramps like us…” (yeah, it is my poll)

“Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.”

“I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.”

“Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.”

“Here's looking at you, kid.”

“Go ahead, make my day.”

“May the Force be with you.”

Dear Ken,

The quote that I've found the best of ALL times Is the one that I heard In an old flim with Gary Grant and, the other girl person,I don't remember ,

is " I'd like to kiss you now but I just washed my hair" Which I find Is the best quote that I've ever heard In my life.

Guy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laficion said:

Dear Ken,

The quote that I've found the best of ALL times Is the one that I heard In an old flim with Gary Grant and, the other girl person,I don't remember ,

is " I'd like to kiss you now but I just washed my hair" Which I find Is the best quote that I've ever heard In my life.

Guy

I think you're thinking of Bette Davis in, "Cabin In The Cotton", but I don't recall Cary Grant being in the film.

Btw, nice to see you stopping in, Guy. :thumbsup:

44 minutes ago, RDB said:

For a certain generation: "I'll be back"

But for all time? How about: "In the name of the Father..."

should have included 'i'll be back. forgot it.

avoided religious quotes as that might sit with the christians but plenty of other religions around the world for whom it means squat. and they would have their own quotes, where the reverse would apply. 

the cary g one above - terrific, but not really after the best (although love to hear contenders) but rather the most famous/best known. i rather think it might just be 'one small step...'. 

16 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

avoided religious quotes as that might sit with the christians but plenty of other religions around the world for whom it means squat. and they would have their own quotes, where the reverse would apply. 

I figured this was the case. That being said, a quote attributed to Ben Franklin, from his Poor Richard’s Almanac, “God helps those who help themselves” perhaps should be considered. This quote is so widely used that it is cliche’. 

A couple movie ones to consider adding that are pretty big; “Bond, James Bond” and “What we have here is a failure to communicate”, from Cool Hand Luke. 

In terms of historical world significance, the "I have a dream" speech by MLK is likely the most important and memorable as it sparked the civil rights movement in America. "One small step..." also marks a great achievement, at a very special time in history. 

I found this list that may be of some referential value: https://pakwired.com/100-best-quotes-time/, and another here: http://quotesnsmiles.com/quotes/77-of-the-worlds-most-popular-quotes/

I am surprised the "Wait til your father gets home" isn't on the list. It may not be famous but I have heard that quote more time then the others together.

Ken you must have been a good boy

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Philc2001 said:

In terms of historical world significance, the "I have a dream" speech by MLK is likely the most important and memorable as it sparked the civil rights movement in America. "One small step..." also marks a great achievement, at a very special time in history. 

I found this list that may be of some referential value: https://pakwired.com/100-best-quotes-time/, and another here: http://quotesnsmiles.com/quotes/77-of-the-worlds-most-popular-quotes/

agree re MLK but it is probably far more important in the states than it is outside, as famous as it is. one small step was something the entire world watched. 

i had 'bond, james bond' on my list but accidentally missed it. 

wait till your father gets home is most definitely etched into my brain but not quiote what i was thinking of. 

am aware that not all of my listing of the quotes exact, but the intention was to make certain people knew which i meant. 'no, i am your father' would probably be missed by many. 'luke...', less so, i'd argue. 

The star wars quote is actually "no, I am your father". Not "Luke, I am your father". It caught me by surprise when I first learned that. It's probably the most misquoted line in history.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1. You can't handle the truth!

2. money never sleeps pal.

3. I got everything I have on my own. It's made me immune to those who complain and cry because they can't.