most famous quote of all time...

most famous quote of all time...  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

how bout; See my mule don't like people laughing...he gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prodigy said:

The star wars quote is actually "no, I am your father". Not "Luke, I am your father". It caught me by surprise when I first learned that. It's probably the most misquoted line in history.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

the play it again sam one might top it. 

as mentioned above when someone else noted that, i am aware but if i put up 'no, i am your father', a lot of people will think what? put up 'luke,...' and everyone knows. as i said in the intro, wanted "enough to identify".

• Like 1

“Beam me up, Scotty!” (Even though The Shat never actually said it.)

Other than that, I’d need some sub-categories.

“Famous Last Words” category - “Peace in our time.” (Chamberlain actually said “for” instead of “in”.)

“Opening Line of a Novel” category - “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times” Dickens A Tale of Two Cities

• Like 1

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat."

"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

The latter really is maybe not quite suitable as the entire speech is well worth memorising and knowing, but by Jove, eery time I hear these phrases my stiff upper lip begins to quiver ever so slightly.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, gweilgi said:

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat."

"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

The latter really is maybe not quite suitable as the entire speech is well worth memorising and knowing, but by Jove, eery time I hear these phrases my stiff upper lip begins to quiver ever so slightly.

thought i had included 'we shall fight them on the beaches". an oversight. great speech.

read something interesting about it. the general public never got the chance to hear it until after the war. it was delivered in parliament and parliament at that stage was not broadcast to the nation. so they read it in the paper the next day. only after the war did they actually get to hear a recording. 

my  favorites:

"went to bed at 2 with a 10 and woke up at 10 with a 2" (Willie nelson)

"Take me drunk, I'm home"

"you can't argue with a sick mind" (Joe Walsh)

"Vision without execution is really just a hallucination" Steve Case, AOL Founder 

"the farther up the flag pole you go, the more people that can see your ass"

#2 - believe that was "Houston, we have a problem", had a problem was said perhaps after.....

"One small step" rings most for me.

"You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish" if we're going late 20th century rock lyrics....

3 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

#2 - believe that was "Houston, we have a problem", had a problem was said perhaps after.....

on this one, we disagree.

i have always believed that two of the great quotes from that era get swapped often.

you hear people quote MLK saying 'i had a dream' (not as often as the other erroneous quote). it is, of course, have a dream.

the other is the apollo mission where the correct (if i am right), is 'had'. we had a problem or possibly we've had a problem. tiny thing though. 

18 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

on this one, we disagree.

i have always believed that two of the great quotes from that era get swapped often.

you hear people quote MLK saying 'i had a dream' (not as often as the other erroneous quote). it is, of course, have a dream.

the other is the apollo mission where the correct (if i am right), is 'had'. we had a problem or possibly we've had a problem. tiny thing though. 

Alas, correct once more. The damned Tom Hanks movie introduced that confusion..... The words actually spoken, initially by Jack Swigert, were "Okay, Houston, we've had a problem here"

I've always thought MLK said have not had. Actually was around to hear both live...